Jh Audio Jolene Impressions and Discussion
Dec 4, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #1,231 of 1,253
In my personal opinion, the JIMI pushes it pretty far in the gooey direction. I didn’t resonate with it, and I know people who outright hate it. :D I feel the Sharona nails that warm-yet-resolving balance much better.

100% - The Jimi was far too much for me and I'm a lover of many things on the warm/not so neutral side.

Dec 22, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #1,232 of 1,253
Sad to see Jolene is no longer on the JH website and is now a 'secret menu' option. After trying out the whole lineup (several times at JH Burbank), I think Jolene is the very best IEM JH Audio has made. No other IEM I've used manages to capture the 'live' texture of a performance. The combination of 4DD's and 8BA's provide a level of realism other JH IEMs are unable to reproduce.

Unless JH introduces a successor, I believe Jolene will be the one that got away for many rock music lovers. My favorite source is iFi Gold Bar, this dongle provides the power and signature that works very well with Jolene. For a 'summit level' performance I use Aroma A100TB with Hifiman HM1000 Gold.

This is interesting news, thank you

I think JH are onto something with the Jolene and Sharona, just needs fine tuning. Both are slightly treble shy. I have heard darker JHA models for sure though so JHA seem to be doing better here. Nobody is asking for treble peak like on Beyerdynamic full sized headphones. At totl prices everything just needs to be on point

The Jolene seems to have an addictive quality but for certain moments I was expecting more impact from the bass

The Sharona needs the proprietary bass dial as by default the bass quantity is if anything too much, overshadows. In the other thread JHA wrote the T2 connector option has been dropped due to supplier issues, so this becomes moot

**Caveat: can jam demo impressions only, with Sony WM1 and IER-Z1R for A/B

Jan 3, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #1,233 of 1,253
I apologize if this is the wrong thread to ask this. But I heard the there is no company that does IEMs suited to rock music better than JH Audio.

I was wondering which model is the best for post-hardcore/metalcore specifically? Or which of the universal lineup is best for rock/metal?

I've seen Roxanne, Lola, and Layla universal models on the second hand market from Japan. Which of those, or a different UIEM offering would be my best pick for rock, metal, or post-hardcore?

Jan 3, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #1,234 of 1,253
I apologize if this is the wrong thread to ask this. But I heard the there is no company that does IEMs suited to rock music better than JH Audio.

I was wondering which model is the best for post-hardcore/metalcore specifically? Or which of the universal lineup is best for rock/metal?

I've seen Roxanne, Lola, and Layla universal models on the second hand market from Japan. Which of those, or a different UIEM offering would be my best pick for rock, metal, or post-hardcore?

I think the Lola or the Layle would be the best fit for you. Lola, if you're more sensitive to highs.

Jan 3, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #1,235 of 1,253

Ciscokid96

There are several threads on Head-Fi for the Roxanne, Lola and Layla
It does depend on your personal tastes on what you want to emphasize.
All would be good, but I've found either the Roxanne or Layla to be the best for rock
Jolene's would also work for Classic Rock being more analog in its sound signature, but from your post above you might be more interested in the 80's-90's genre which I would tend to lean towards the Roxanne.
I still own Roxanne's and still listen to them but find myself going to my Jolene's more often as I like that more Analog sound and the clearer highs' found on the Jolene's over the Roxanne's, but still do listen to my Roxanne's
Be advised a cable change will considerably wake up either the Roxanne or Layla's so if possible, go listen/audition both and pick the one that is closest to your favorite sound signature, and then take a look at the forums for that IEM and many have posted their impressions on what cable changes have done.

For what it's worth and the above is IMO and YMMV.

Jan 3, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #1,236 of 1,253

Roxanne is a great IEM for that.

Great low mids (for double kick drums) smooth and well placed mid to high mids for those riffs), treble is not crazily extended, but well accurate.

Lola is more mid focused, so not much low end. I would say it’s great for classic rock.

Layla is my baby, I love it for it’s timbre and accuracy. But some audiophile prefer Roxanne over Layla.

Jan 3, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #1,237 of 1,253
Roxanne is a great IEM for that.

Great low mids (for double kick drums) smooth and well placed mid to high mids for those riffs), treble is not crazily extended, but well accurate.

Lola is more mid focused, so not much low end. I would say it’s great for classic rock.

Layla is my baby, I love it for it’s timbre and accuracy. But some audiophile prefer Roxanne over Layla.
That's great. I really enjoy low mids for the breakdown section in hardcore music. I'll keep my eye on the roxanne in that case.
Ciscokid96

There are several threads on Head-Fi for the Roxanne, Lola and Layla
It does depend on your personal tastes on what you want to emphasize.
All would be good, but I've found either the Roxanne or Layla to be the best for rock
Jolene's would also work for Classic Rock being more analog in its sound signature, but from your post above you might be more interested in the 80's-90's genre which I would tend to lean towards the Roxanne.
I still own Roxanne's and still listen to them but find myself going to my Jolene's more often as I like that more Analog sound and the clearer highs' found on the Jolene's over the Roxanne's, but still do listen to my Roxanne's
Be advised a cable change will considerably wake up either the Roxanne or Layla's so if possible, go listen/audition both and pick the one that is closest to your favorite sound signature, and then take a look at the forums for that IEM and many have posted their impressions on what cable changes have done.

For what it's worth and the above is IMO and YMMV.
Thanks for the heads up. i'll check out those threads to see others' impressions. I appreciate the input. Roxanne is seeming like my target rn, i'll try to demo if given the opportunity.
I think the Lola or the Layle would be the best fit for you. Lola, if you're more sensitive to highs.
Ty for your input. I blind ordered the lola for an insanely cheap price on a japanese site. I'll soon see how I enjoy them once they come in. Hope your prediction is correct! Yeah I think I may be sensitive to highs. I only notice it on rock/metal music though. Other genres with high frequencies dont hurt my ears at high volume like rock.

Mar 6, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #1,242 of 1,253
Is this the actual finish of the JH Jolene in the Universal format?

yes

SS_2023-03-06_06.27.38-0001.jpg

Apr 24, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #1,244 of 1,253
A morning session of rock with Jolene, loving it 🎶

EBF0A2FA-B03C-4D34-822A-6B54DDF63640.jpeg

They're gorgeous, that swirling pattern looks absolutely amazing!

If you don't mind me asking though, what are those silvery bits around IEM connectors?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 24, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #1,245 of 1,253
They're gorgeous, that swirling pattern looks absolutely amazing!

If you don't mind me asking though, what are those silvery bits around IEM connectors?
Those are the ear hook wires previously embedded in the iem cable. I found them quite uncomfortable, so I stripped the heatshrink and wrapped them around. The cable is perfect now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back