JH Audio JH5pro thread
Nov 19, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #286 of 1,217
Quote:

Originally Posted by aj_brown_99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think one thing you have to get used to/understand with IEMs is that it is not so much of a sound stage in front of you, as it is the placement inside your head. IEMs are just not capable of laying out a soundstage in front of you like speakers, but the good ones place things very nicely in and around your head. It is kind of a different experience, imo, but I can say I actually prefer the type of soundstage offered by IEMs to that offered by full size headphones. I don't mean to be patronizing, but it seems to me like you're trying to compare the soundstages of the two types of phones, when, in my opinion, they are quite different.

Yes, defiantly quite different in presentation. A few posts earlier I mentioned they are really not comparable.

I think the best way to explain it is....JH5s give you a very closed in feel and you can tell they are IEM monitor. Some people prefer this.

With the 225's it's presentation is more like listening to speakers. (Minus the soundstage!) I prefer this way more.

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #287 of 1,217
Quote:

I think one thing you have to get used to/understand with IEMs is that it is not so much of a sound stage in front of you, as it is the placement inside your head. IEMs are just not capable of laying out a soundstage in front of you like speakers, but the good ones place things very nicely in and around your head. It is kind of a different experience, imo, but I can say I actually prefer the type of soundstage offered by IEMs to that offered by full size headphones. I don't mean to be patronizing, but it seems to me like you're trying to compare the soundstages of the two types of phones, when, in my opinion, they are quite different.

I think this is generally true. The exception might be JH13's hooked to a Smyth Realizer. But that's a $4000 solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBY03evo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, defiantly quite different in presentation. A few posts earlier I mentioned they are really not comparable.

I think the best way to explain it is....JH5s give you a very closed in feel and you can tell they are IEM monitor. Some people prefer this.

With the 225's it's presentation is more like listening to speakers. (Minus the soundstage!) I prefer this way more.

I might agree with you about the SR225's versus the JH5's. The SR225's are my main headphones, and the more I listen to them, the more impressed I become with them. I also could swear they've opened up and they actually sound better than when I got them. (Burn in?)

I listened to the JH5 universals at RMAF, and I felt like they did have a "closed in" sound compared to open headphones. Though I was still quite impressed with them compared to any other universals.

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #288 of 1,217
Quote:

The IE 8 and JH13 definitely extend outside of the head. They both sound like full-size headphones in presentation.

I find it interesting that the JH5 isn't the same way. I thought the JH13's soundscape was a benefit of being custom, not of the 13's specific design.

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #289 of 1,217
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE 8 and JH13 definitely extend outside of the head. They both sound like full-size headphones in presentation.

I find it interesting that the JH5 isn't the same way. I thought the JH13's soundscape was a benefit of being custom, not of the 13's specific design.

I think a lot of it has to do with high frequencies (both extension and phase accuracy). That's where the "air" is. The JH13 definitely has superior high frequencies to the JH5, and I think that makes it sound more open.

Also, I think with open headphones, you are hearing the "air" in the room, so they need less high frequency accuracy to sound open than an IEM does.

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #290 of 1,217
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think a lot of it has to do with high frequencies (both extension and phase accuracy). That's where the "air" is. The JH13 definitely has superior high frequencies to the JH5, and I think that makes it sound more open.

Also, I think with open headphones, you are hearing the "air" in the room, so they need less high frequency accuracy to sound open than an IEM does.

I agree with this, although I have never listed to the JH13. From all the positive reviews they are on par with full sized headphones.

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #291 of 1,217
How are the 5's in terms of speed relative to the Grados? I mean, with exceptionally fast tracks (like Air's "Alpha Beta Gaga" from Talkie Walkie, or any good speed metal track). It should wreck the Grados in this area if the proprietary technology used in JH's higher-end models trickles down to the JH5.

ABG in particular is a track that ruins my dynamic headphones. They simply cannot compete (though I have only the HD 650 [slow] and HF2 [fairly fast]).

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #292 of 1,217
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this is generally true. The exception might be JH13's hooked to a Smyth Realizer. But that's a $4000 solution.

I might agree with you about the SR225's versus the JH5's. The SR225's are my main headphones, and the more I listen to them, the more impressed I become with them. I also could swear they've opened up and they actually sound better than when I got them. (Burn in?)

I listened to the JH5 universals at RMAF, and I felt like they did have a "closed in" sound compared to open headphones. Though I was still quite impressed with them compared to any other universals.

I onder if there is anyone using it with a smyth realiser :p

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #293 of 1,217
Quote:

How are the 5's in terms of speed relative to the Grados? I mean, with exceptionally fast tracks (like Air's "Alpha Beta Gaga" from Talkie Walkie, or any good speed metal track). It should wreck the Grados in this area if the proprietary technology used in JH's higher-end models trickles down to the JH5.

ABG in particular is a track that ruins my dynamic headphones. They simply cannot compete (though I have only the HD 650 [slow] and HF2 [fairly fast]).

I would say they are about equal in terms of speed. Grado's have a bigger and over all more powerful sound. Where the JH5 is a bit more laid back in presentation.

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #294 of 1,217
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBY03evo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say they are about equal in terms of speed. Grado's have a bigger and over all more powerful sound. Where the JH5 is a bit more laid back in presentation.

Really? I'm actually very surprised. My Grado HF2's tend to slur bass notes during really fast bass passages in speed metal. Conversely my JH13s play each note distinctly, where the blackness and space in between each note is clearly discernible. Not sure what your second two sentences have to do with speed, but I'm actually quite surprised that the 5's don't out-and-out win this one. What kind of tracks do you use as reference for their speed?

BTW I mean speed in terms of attack and decay, not in PRaT (pacing, rhythm, and tempo).

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #295 of 1,217
Quote:

How are the 5's in terms of speed relative to the Grados? I mean, with exceptionally fast tracks (like Air's "Alpha Beta Gaga" from Talkie Walkie)

I like your taste in music
beerchug.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #296 of 1,217
Quote:

Really? I'm actually very surprised. My Grado HF2's tend to slur bass notes during really fast bass passages in speed metal. Conversely my JH13s play each note distinctly, where the blackness and space in between each note is clearly discernible. Not sure what your second two sentences have to do with speed, but I'm actually quite surprised that the 5's don't out-and-out win this one. What kind of tracks do you use as reference for their speed?

BTW I mean speed in terms of attack and decay, not in PRaT (pacing, rhythm, and tempo).

I do not have specific tracks but just a few of the bands are...

Dream Evil
Communic
Pathosray
Mystic Prophecy
Serenity
Dream Theater
Eldritch
Brainstorm
Primal Fear

You have to remember the JH13's are probably in a league of there own compared to JH5's.

Nov 20, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #297 of 1,217
can't decide between these and the livewire trips..such a hard choice
frown.gif
I've just read through this thread but not really much to go on as to how they sound. The livewire trips review:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/l...ustoms-452022/

compares to alot of other IEM's and I'm sure I would be happy with the trips sound sig but the JH5's look better, JH are an established reputable company, blah blah oh its all so confusing. Has anyone heard the JH5's along side the SE530's?

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #299 of 1,217
Booked my impressions for friday. I have the money, so I'll order it as soon as I get the impressions. Looking forward to it. I still haven't decided on a colour and on opaque or translucent. I also need a decent amp to go from ipod line out. I'm thinking something in the $100-150 range. What do you guys think?

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #300 of 1,217
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! That's one hell of a custom IEM for $350. Well, good to hear you don't have to burn a hole through your pocket just to get high-end customs.

I don't consider the livewire trips to be high-end. They're more like triple driver low-ends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back