JH Audio JH13 v2
Aug 4, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #91 of 108
It is not a regular 2-pin cable. I think the old UM had that, but the new ones use a protruding socket that is not the standard 0.78mm and possibly with a reversed polarity compared to Ultimate Ears. I have been looking at the UM Maestro V2 and got confused because so many different images turned up.

It is mentioned here in a review (includes images):
https://audioprimate.blog/2017/05/18/unique-melody-miracle-a-smooth-operator/

Ah i see, thanks for the info. If i'm out of cables anyway then i might as well consider the JH13v2 in greater depth then.

Aug 19, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #93 of 108
How does this compare to the UERR..?
Thanks

ditto on that query...i couldn't resist the UERR massdrop @ $800 as my first CIEM
(with a mojo as portable, for rock, blues, jazz and some classical)

yet I have always have read so many good things on the JH 13 series as being fab bang for the buck.
and that customizable bass tuning dial on the JH is a great idea: love the options it gives the listener.
wish more iem makers had that.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #95 of 108
Great thread, as I'm also considering to purchase the JH13v2.

What if we start to gather all the reviews available?

I'll begin:

JH Audio JH13V2 Amazing Sound and Value

http://headphone.guru/jh-audio-jh13v2-amazing-sound-and-value/
http://headphone.guru/jh-audio-jh13v2-amazing-sound-and-value/
Also, BartSimpson1976's at:

"Great Sound - Beautiful Design -Great Allrounder"
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/jh...ries-universal-iem.22154/reviews#review-17818

Unfortunately I haven't found any more reviews yet, and it's been 1 year and 8 months since they were announced...

Let's see if we if we spot some more coming.

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #96 of 108
Also, according to Andy Reagan (JH):

There are many differences between the old JH13 and the new JH13v2. The original JH13 was a 6 driver and used a 2 pin cable. The new 13v2 (both custom and Performance series) incorporates the moon audio 4 pin cable with 10db of adjustability of the bass driver. It also incorporates a newly developed quad high driver, 4th order crossover and the Steel Tube waveguide that were developed for the Layla. And of course features our patented Freqphase technology. The result is a a very flexible full range and much more dynamic earpiece, with greater high end extension then the old JH13. The shell is truly revolutionary, as noted in the announcement, we really studied the thousands of customs we have built and completely redesigned the shape of the shell. This results in a 40% smaller shell with a ergonomic fit that is really a game changer for Universal IEMs. I truly think it is the best value at its 999.00 price point! But of course I am just a little biased.......lol

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...mance-series-universal-fit-iems.826164/page-2

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #97 of 108
I'm very interested in this iem, but there is surprisingly little out there in terms of reviews. I may take the leap anyway. Anyone subscribed to this thread that has this IEM, please let me know as I'd like to ask a few specific questions about it. We all have our deal breakers and I want to make sure this IEM doesn't exhibit any of mine.

Sep 24, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #98 of 108
I'm very interested in this iem, but there is surprisingly little out there in terms of reviews. I may take the leap anyway. Anyone subscribed to this thread that has this IEM, please let me know as I'd like to ask a few specific questions about it. We all have our deal breakers and I want to make sure this IEM doesn't exhibit any of mine.

Sure. Let me know what you want to know.

Been using this for about 3 months now paired with the Fiio X7 mark 2.

Sep 24, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #99 of 108
Sure. Let me know what you want to know.

Been using this for about 3 months now paired with the Fiio X7 mark 2.
well first off the fit. I've read about the performance series sticking out and not sitting flush as the insertion depth seems to be overly extended. I guess for those with very deep canals this is ok, but I don't think I do. I can only get the tip of my pinky (almost to the first knuckle) into the canal. Others have commented about how they need constant adjustment as the seal breaks with such a long nozzle moving around.

second would be the signature. I'm pretty sensitive to lower treble (sibilance region). 4.5-8K usually have to be attenuated a tad by EQ or I need to use the foamies. How do you find the treble on them? Are they more like a studio monitor accurate, or are they more "sweet" and non-fatiguing?

third is the noise floor. I'm using an x5iii by fiio and am concerned about hiss - not like these are 12 ohms like andromeda, but still pretty sensitive and under 32 ohms. Remember, that only is at 1K - the resistance changes over the FR. So want to know about your experience with "hiss" and these.

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #100 of 108
well first off the fit. I've read about the performance series sticking out and not sitting flush as the insertion depth seems to be overly extended. I guess for those with very deep canals this is ok, but I don't think I do. I can only get the tip of my pinky (almost to the first knuckle) into the canal. Others have commented about how they need constant adjustment as the seal breaks with such a long nozzle moving around.

second would be the signature. I'm pretty sensitive to lower treble (sibilance region). 4.5-8K usually have to be attenuated a tad by EQ or I need to use the foamies. How do you find the treble on them? Are they more like a studio monitor accurate, or are they more "sweet" and non-fatiguing?

third is the noise floor. I'm using an x5iii by fiio and am concerned about hiss - not like these are 12 ohms like andromeda, but still pretty sensitive and under 32 ohms. Remember, that only is at 1K - the resistance changes over the FR. So want to know about your experience with "hiss" and these.

I'll address your questions referencing the other IEMs in the price range that I compared with during my consideration:
Noble Django, Unique Melody Miracle v2, Campfire Andromeda.

Fit: yes no getting around it - these do no flush with your ears, unlike the Andromeda or Miracle. They are not at Triple-fi level of sticking out but they will do so. I have shallow canals too so I understand your concerns. I get around these by using Complys comforts or Acoustunes AE07 tips. Both work well for me and the IEMs don't pop out. Still i find them better than the Andromeda's shallow insertions which always too me feel like they want to pop out.

Noise floor: It has ZERO hiss with my AK70, but with the FiiO X7ii there is a very slight perceptible hiss. I can hear this when I am wearing the JHs then plug them into the X7ii. It's hardly audible in normal use so I would say this is the least of your issues.

Signature: I'll try my best to describe my experiences, but I am not a professional reviewer and I can't identify the 4-8k range reliably. Feel free to ask for clarification though.

In terms of treble JH13v2 pro sits between the Andromeda and the Django, and close to the Miracle V2. I found the Andromeda more fatiguing; even after 5 mins of listening I could tell I would be fatigued by the Andromeda. The Django is more agressive, with a smaller soundstage and far more mids; i liked this the least of the 4 despite it being the most comfortable fit wise.

The UM Miracle and JH were pretty close, with the UM miracle having a more slight V-shape, with better, punchier and tighter bass, but the JH having more clarity in the mids. The JH is overall more 'neutral' compared to the Miracle. I did find the Miracle more comfortable fit wise though, even though it was honestly the ugliest of the four.

In the end the tiebreaker between the two for me was stock - the UM was on pre-order while JH had ready stock.

As with all things audio, I would highly recommend you taking a listen to it when you can! Sounds like fit wise it might be an issue for you and these things can only be sussed out with the actual piece in your hands.

Oct 8, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #101 of 108
I've had mine for more than a year now. It was a blind purchase. I was hoping it would be just as good as the JH13 Pro FP (based on Joker review). I can agree with some of the comments that this IEM has dark attributes. To be honest, I didn't like it at first but it has grown on me. I set the bass dial to half most of the time I've owned it but now I have it down to the minimum for a flat sound. I've listened to other IEMs in the past year and my favorite would be the Empire Ears Zeus. It's twice as expensive but it has a certain quality to it that makes the JH13v2 Pro boring. I'm not sure how much difference in technical ability or sound signature is between the two that makes me choose the Zeus. If I could listen to a less expensive Zeus (similar sound signature) then I'd have a better idea. I really need to listen to the Zeus again because it's been awhile.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #102 of 108
The FH13 is quite legendary to me. I've heard of them since I've been into headphones / iems. It's not a surprise that people rave about them. But I've never heard of them being "dark". Is this a new direction they are going for with the 13v2?
I actually have a lot of smooth, midcentric headphones that's why I've been hoping for the JH13 to retain it's legendary signature.

Furthermore the impressions here are much more raving and euphoric than in the Astell & Kern Rosie thread, which is supposed to have the same / similiar tuning and technical prowess.

Apr 6, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #103 of 108
Could some please give your impressions on JH 13v2 for Classical and NewAge.

Apr 13, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #105 of 108
Could some please give your impressions on JH 13v2 for Classical and NewAge.

I'd like to hear about this too.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to use 3rd party cables with the JH13v2? Or are you limited only to JHs cables?

FWIW, I do listen to orchestra music (mainly from video games and movies) e.g. Hans Zimmer, on the JH13v2. Among all the genres I regularly listen to, I feel that this kind of music brings highlights the 'warmth' and 'dark' signature of the JH13v2 that others have highlighted. It has a very much more mids and low-mids emphasised presentation in orchestra music. I didn't get the sparkling details of the string section versus what I got on the Unique Melody Miracle. But the brass section is really fully and well rounded. It's up to your personal preference, but I like my amped AK7xx's presentation better than my JH13v2. It's still perfectly enjoyable on the go though.

As for 3rd party cables, you're gonna have to get them to recable them to end with the JH plug. They will also be more expensive as its a 8wire plug versus the usual 4wire plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back