JH Audio JH13 v2
Jul 9, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #77 of 108
i haven't done extensive listening yet, but some quick feedback here.

i got my JH13v2 very quickly after having impression made (great working with Julie Glick in NYC, highly recommended) but then got busy and left them on the shelf, the opposite of my normal obsessive self regarding new audio toys.
I also ordered some cables from Blue Moon for balanced operation when my GOV2+ finally gets here and a balanced to unbalanced adapter so the balanced iem can plug into ordinary mini-plug devices like my mobile phone.

Some very quick observations.
0--anything plugged into analog out of cellphone (not worth describing)
1--baseline is er4p + Moto XPE phone running usb audio player PRO, usb out to GO V2, single ended out of V2
2--replace er4p with JH13v2 as delivered
3--add GO V2 dac/amp to XPE via usb, single ended audio out of V2--replace JH13proV2 cable with Silver Dragon V2 balanced cable + Blue Moon single ended<==>balanced adapter, single ended out of V2
4--eliminate single ended==>balanced converter, use balanced output of V2

there was no surprise in the order, 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 but what did surprise me (maybe it shouldn't have) was that the biggest change was going from 2==>3.
the silver dragon v2 balanced cable, even when run single ended with the adapter cable, made a huge difference.  it smoothed out the soundstage so everything felt integrated and continuous from R to L and from top to bottom. detail was more impressive and their was more, but well integrated bass, with the silver dragon v2 [big caveat here--i used the default bass setting as delivered for both the original iem cable and the silver dragon v2.  i did not check the settings to see if they were set identically---hey, i told you this was quick feedback, right?)]

going from single ended to balanced output of the V2 was 'gooder', even more bass and continuous soundstage.

based on just my very quick check, and after sending the V2 back to be traded in for the V2A (new packaging and analog output improvements) and still waiting for the V2+ (which should be here in a week or two) I would highly recommend these iem but consider the silver dragon v2 cable an almost mandatory upgrade even if you are running a single ended source.

by the way, i only use my iem when traveling (plane, train, etc) so i am not looking for world class, as good as my home stax 009/bhse setup, sound but sufficient joy and bang for the buck to justify spending more than $1k on portable iem.  i'm convinced that the jh13proV2 gets me into that next level (compared to the er4p i've used for the last 15 years and which i considered an extravagance back then) and when i consider pro-rating the cost over the next 10/15 years, i can calculate the joy/$ factor as well into the feasible region for a purchase.

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #79 of 108
hi. is this the Customs version of Universals Rosie?

liking my Rosie very much and wanting to have similar sound signature but Customs package.

custom jh13prov2

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #80 of 108
hi. is this the Customs version of Universals Rosie?

liking my Rosie very much and wanting to have similar sound signature but Customs package.

It's not official, but I've met the Man (JH) himself and he said the Rosie and JH13v2 have a similar tuning. So by all means go nuts.

Jul 25, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #83 of 108
Just got the JH13V2 Universal Performance Series, seriously impressed so far. My tastes have been changing towards a less warm signature, so im looking at multiple iems to demo now such as the Andromeda, s-em9, oriolus, k10, ie800. Im on the list for demo tours of the a18/tzar as well as the nt6/viento.

Anyway- jh13v2 was the first stop on my demo tour of the iems listed and so far im very impressed. compared to my es60, biggest difference that stands out is the lower treble on the jh13 is a bit more present, adds a bit of spice and snap to 5-6 kHz, the es60 has a big dip around 3500-4k and the jh has a bump around 3khz.

JH13 bass dial needs to be up about all the way to match the es60. The overall balance is tilted slightly more towards the lower mids on the es60, where its more tilted towards the lower treble on the jh13. Male vocals have a bit more presence and thickness on the es60, but cymbals and treble sometimes leaves me wanting more. JH13 strikes a nice balance on cymbals and treble to give some snap and sparkle, without getting too sibilant, but some people might find it too much.

es60 bass has a bit more thump than the jh, honestly the bass dial doesn't impact the bass and lower mids as much as I remember on the Roxanne or angie, but im going off of memory. overall the sound on the jh13 is just slightly more forward and aggressive but is nice and airy. My memory of the older jh13fp was that I missed some air in the mids, they weren't congested or muffled at all, but they lacked a bit of air. These seem to be better in that regard, a bit more separation and air throughout the frequency range than I remember from the older model.

Keep in mind these are early impressions.

Jul 29, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #84 of 108
Man the more I listen to these the more absolutely impressed I am- such a textured and layered sound, and a great frequency response. I've been getting sick of the overly thick mids and midbass of so many Iems, and these are a breath of fresh air with silky mids, great punch when called for, snappy upper mids, and enough bite in the treble but still very smooth through the whole sound. Delicate, airy, and excellent imaging. The best all rounder I've found for my preference- so far.

We will see how they compare to the ie800 and s-em9 this week, and the andromeda, oriolus, k10, and prophile 8 coming up later on... these have set a higher bar than the es60, w60, Angie, Roxanne, and se846.

Aug 1, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #85 of 108
We will see how they compare to the ie800 and s-em9 this week, and the andromeda, oriolus, k10, and prophile 8 coming up later on... these have set a higher bar than the es60, w60, Angie, Roxanne, and se846.

Interested on your opinions as to how these stack up against the SE846. I have the SE846 at the moment using custom sleeves and paired to my AK100II / Mojo.

Interested in investing in a pair of JH13prov2 if the difference is noticeable.

Aug 1, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #86 of 108
Se846 is off of memory, but sub bass will rumble more on the se846, jh is tuned to have less deep bass rumble, and more mid bass punch. I'd bet that jh has a tad more mid bass on the highest setting but less thumpy rumble- mids are going to be more even on the jh13, more airy as well. Both are forward sounding, but id bet jh is just a tad more laid back. JH is probably going to have a tad less thick lower mids as well, but jh has a peak at 5500-6k that's going to cause a bit more sibilance than the se846, but jh will have more top end extension, and is overall going to be a bit more airy throughout the frequency range. Soundstage on jh will be bigger, imaging is probably about equal, both being very good.

again this is off of memory.

So far the s-em9 has less thick lower mids than the jh13v2, but thicker than the ie800. Bass on the s-em9 is tuned to have a bit more rumble on the deep bass, where jh13 has a bit more mid bass punch. jh13 mids/lower mids are just a tad bigger sounding, partly because they are thicker but they are just a hair darker too, again possibly because of the additional thickness.

where jh13v2 has a peak around 5500-6000, the s-em9 has a smaller peak around 5600, and a smaller peak at 7000. this causes the s-em9 to be less sibilant than the jh13, but also sound a bit more airy up top along with the thinner lower mids. Also, all of the newer jh audio line ive heard rolls off around 8000 but then levels off up through15k +, where the sem9 has a little dip from 8-10 but comes back up from there just a db or two more than the jh. So overall the s-em9 sound a bit more airy and even from the mids up through the treble, but also sounds a little splashy compared to the jh13.

The combination of the thicker lower mids, 5.5k peak, and lower high treble the jh13 sounds just a hair less airy, but also more powerful. This is also due to the presentation, where the jh13 is more forward and vocals sound closer, where the s-em9 pushes things a bit more out away from you, so its not quite as direct sounding. S-em9 reminds me a bit of a westone in that way.

ie800 takes what I said about the s-em9 a step further, emphasizing lower bass but a bit tighter/faster than the s-em9, with just a smidge less mid bass than the s-em9. IE800 lower mids up through the top of the frequency is thinner than the s-em9, and in addition to a bit more frequency on 3500-5500, there is also a 7.5 kHz peak and a small peak at 10k. Overall sounds a bit more airy than the s-em9, which is already a bit more airy than the jh13v2. It also is a bit more sparkly, and you can hear the difference in the peaks from each 3 models- where the jh13 has the lowest peak at 5.5, the sem9 has a smaller peak right at 7.5, and ie800 is emphasized even higher at 10k. The lower mids follow suit, with jh13 being thickest, s-em9 being less thick, and ie800 being thinner. the ie800 does sound the most open, airy, and has the biggest soundstage but not by a significant amount. The thinness can be good or bad, depending on what you're listening to.

I'll also throw in my 2 cents on the es60- take everything I've said about the jh13 compared to the other two, and take it the other direction- more midbass, might reach a hair deeper than the jh13, thicker lower mids than jh13, but it doesn't have the peak at 5.5. Its got a rolled off frequency from 3.5 on up, with a little peak at 6.5- so it is more laid back and easier on the ears than the others, but also less exciting. The lower level of the treble with the thicker lower mids can make it sound a bit less clear than the others, but more relaxing at the same time. Still has an airy sound, but less so than the others

one last word- I feel like this might make the jh13 sound like its on the darker side, which I don't think it is. It has a great balanced note thickness, not too thick, not too thin, and sounds airy and delicate, but can also be punchy, snappy and powerful. Overall the s-em9 and jh13 are the most balanced, just depends on if you want a more powerful and snappy sound (jh13) which is great for rock and higher energy music, or a more laid back and slightly more even sound (s-em9).

Just started rambling here, hopefully this all made sense!

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #87 of 108
Glad to have found this thread. I stumbled on the JH13v2 pro by accident when someone in the local audio community was selling his two month old set. I was previously considering the Noble Django or the Unique Melody Miracle v2. A 2nd hand JH13v2 brought it into the same budget bracket as the other two.

Compared to the JH13v2, the Noble sounds like a mess of layers "clashing together" is best I can describe it. I felt the Noble was so nicely designed and comfortable that I really wanted to like it but unfortunately the sound was just odd for me.

The unique melody I was so close to getting before the JH13v2 showed up. I liked the snap of the UM's highs but the JH13v2 seems to do vocals better. The downside of the JH13v2 is that the sub bass is louder than the mid bass, the UM felt tighter overall. And I'll have to rebuy all my cables as I have a fair number of 2pin cables with my Westone 4R.

Thoughts? New UM Miracle or JH13v2 pro?

Aug 3, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #88 of 108
Glad to have found this thread. I stumbled on the JH13v2 pro by accident when someone in the local audio community was selling his two month old set. I was previously considering the Noble Django or the Unique Melody Miracle v2. A 2nd hand JH13v2 brought it into the same budget bracket as the other two.

Compared to the JH13v2, the Noble sounds like a mess of layers "clashing together" is best I can describe it. I felt the Noble was so nicely designed and comfortable that I really wanted to like it but unfortunately the sound was just odd for me.

The unique melody I was so close to getting before the JH13v2 showed up. I liked the snap of the UM's highs but the JH13v2 seems to do vocals better. The downside of the JH13v2 is that the sub bass is louder than the mid bass, the UM felt tighter overall. And I'll have to rebuy all my cables as I have a fair number of 2pin cables with my Westone 4R.

Thoughts? New UM Miracle or JH13v2 pro?
I can't help with the choice. However, if you decide on the UM Miracle, check the cable as I believe UM has switched to the same connectors as Ultimate Ears.

Aug 3, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #89 of 108
I can't help with the choice. However, if you decide on the UM Miracle, check the cable as I believe UM has switched to the same connectors as Ultimate Ears.

Yea I've checked the UM and it has the same 2pin cables - that's in favour of the UM now because the JH uses that 4 pin connector which practically no one else uses.

Aug 4, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #90 of 108
Yea I've checked the UM and it has the same 2pin cables - that's in favour of the UM now because the JH uses that 4 pin connector which practically no one else uses.
It is not a regular 2-pin cable. I think the old UM had that, but the new ones use a protruding socket that is not the standard 0.78mm and possibly with a reversed polarity compared to Ultimate Ears. I have been looking at the UM Maestro V2 and got confused because so many different images turned up.

It is mentioned here in a review (includes images):
https://audioprimate.blog/2017/05/18/unique-melody-miracle-a-smooth-operator/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back