JH Audio JH-5 Pro and more...
Aug 17, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #16 of 18
To be fair, I listened to the 5's, 7's and 13's in a Starbucks, going from one to the other and back within about a half an hour, so keep that in mind.

I'd say that the 7's had a tick too much bass for my ears. They were still very musical, but they'd probably be better suited for a drummer, bass player or someone who listens to a lot of rap/hip hop. And no, to me, they were not $300 better. Even if they were the same price as the 5's, I would have chosen the 5's.

The 5's were smoother and more natural to me. They were slightly warm, and not lacking in bass...when it was on the track, the 5's served it up nicely. I'd also say that the mids were SLIGHTLY recessed...and I do mean slightly. It's not at all like you could just hear the high driver and the low driver and the mids suffered...not at all. If anything, it's what make them sound so natural and comfortable. The highs are absolutely there, clean and natural.

To me, the competition was between the 5's and the 13's. The 13's, although seemingly completely different technology, sounded like a better version of the 5's. The lows go way lower, and highs go higher. BUT...to me, there wasn't a $700 difference. Not at all. The 13's are worth their price, most definitely, but the 5's should be priced way higher. To me, if the 13's are $1100, then based on that, the 5's should be $900. That's my opinion, of course.

I use the 5's for stage monitoring as well. I play keyboards and mix live music, so highs are absolutely critical to me as well.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back