JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 16, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #2,596 of 3,122
I love the sound out of the 240SS.  Wider soundstage, more defined bass, great mids and an upper end that makes me really happy.  Lots of detail everywhere, and lots of openness from all instruments and voices (I can hear more pretty much everywhere).  I loved the Angie/120ll, I love this more.  (Keep in mind I'm using a custom cable.)  

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #2,597 of 3,122
  I always had good luck with the Comply- I, too, finally settled on the Comfort 500s because they were the shortest of all the Comply tips (the ends did not extend too far past the nozzle ends)..  Seal was easy to achieve (although I went down from Large to Medium to Small before I got a perfect fit).  Bass and mids are excellent, although highs can be a bit less than desired.  

But I kept trying with Spiral Dots, trying to find the right size, and finally, after getting Large and then Small, I've found that the Medium gives me the best seal.  Now my Angie/AK sound is a bit brighter and bass is solid (though not perhaps as full as with the Comply.  Plenty of rumble, but more defined and less thick.  Bass ports set between 2 and 3 pm (a bit more towards 3).

Also, I just upgraded from a Moon Audio Black Dragon cable to the new Silver Dragon.  Incredible amount of detail and bass is really tight.  Upper end is much more apparent without being shrill.  I'm still playing with the bass port adjustment (it comes with the ports all the way up, I've turned them down to about 3pm for now) but so far it's a really worthwhile upgrade.  Pricey though.  

Gotta agree with you, regarding the Silver Dragon.  I've had to turn the bass to 3:00 from about 12:30 with the original.  The highs are so extended, not just loud to me; it's a whole new ballgame.  And I just realized how old this post was, but I had to respond: computer down for a while, y'know.
Oh yes, and I also wore my complies in reverse.  The sound wasn't so damped down.

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #2,598 of 3,122

I had the 846, sold it.  I tried all three filters, removed the padding from them, even went filterless.  Went to the silicon custom made in-ear Sensaphonics.  They have great bass and mid texture but I could never get the upper end I wanted.  I bought the Angies (1) and found them much more to my liking.  Now it also matters what DAP you use, and the type of cable you run (I listen in balanced mode), but I really prefer the Angie.  It's just a matter of personal taste, though.  

I saw your previous posts. You seem to favor bright signatures, a grainier treble, probably what some listeners would consider sibilant. I bet you'd really like the MDR-CD3000 if you haven't heard them yet.
I tend to share that preference, however a lush meaty midrange is also nice, and the tricky part is combining both, especially with high quality/quantity bass. The 846 does perform quite well in bass and mids, but it's just not ridiculously wide/holographic or sharp/bright on the treble as I would prefer (pretty much a meaty Z1R combined with a bright open HD800, which is most likely impossible with IEMs). :)

The Angie are pretty huge, but the sit comfortably in ear once you get a good tip fit. I'm using small comply comforts. They aren't discrete due to their size but they look great and sound amazing. I love the bass control - running around 60% at 1 to 2 o'clock. They seem to work well with the Dragonfly Red.

I think I could manage in terms of design. They are huge indeed, but the cable is what annoys me most in many IEMs. In the 846 it annoys me a lot. Very annoying rigid guides which are useless for people that are not moving around like performers or athletes. They slow down setup/insertion a lot. Can't imagine the Angies being any worse overall.

I've got elephant ears so the Angie (1) never bothered me for comfort. They also sit deep in my ears. I love the sound of them! Slightly mid forward compared to the Layla's slightly recessed mids from what I noted when I tried the Layla in comparison.
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't forget about the adjustable bass attenuators which allows you to tune the Angie with quite a range from more analytical to more bass heavy. Maybe not as bass heavy as the Roxanne or Layla but the range is very usable. I chose the Angie over the SE846 for my tastes.

Yes, the bass... potenciometer-thingy leaves me curious. It seems like a great implementation, reminds me of the IE80, but changing bass also impacts the mids and treble, so there is always a price to pay. It is a plus that at least it can be tweaked.
I just changed the 846 to the brighter filter (white) and have to admit that it did improve a lot. Still far from treble-heavy (I can see why @olddude didn't find it enough and even tried removing the filters completely) but there was an improvement, also sub-bass seems a tighter and less overwhelming in some tracks... less fatigue.

I'd like to hear the Angies but it sounds like a close 1:1. I don't think I can get them with a safe return window (Amazon,EU) so it might not be worth the risk. Very curious about the Layla too. That's a price tag that has to be matched by a lot of performance.

If I could chime in again, I have both still.  I use the 846s with blue filters with the tinsert removed.  I get a bright sound but without losing the bass with the whites.  That being said, I use the Angies almost exclusively.  Somewhere in the earlier posts on this thread, I wrote some opinions about both, saying that the Angies have better, clearer bass, which is somewhat separated from the rest of the spectrum with the 846.  My Sures are strictly bedtime use.  I can fall asleep with the shures in, not the Angies so much.  But the A's are so much more enjoyable to me.  HTH

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #2,599 of 3,122
I loved the 846 but just could not get the upper end I wanted- getting old (well, AM old) and highs are a bit rolled off  with the 846 and with me.

The Angie has more upper end and, to me, better bass (more defined and with less bleed into the mids) but the 846 really has nice mids.  Angie mids aren't as lush, but are really good.  I just couldn't find a sweet spot with them, even with the Sensaphonic "tips."  The Angie has enough drivers that you can turn the bass pots up and the bass doesn't intrude on other frequencies.  It just feels a bit more lively and fun.

With the Silver Dragon cable the detail goes up, bass tightens up, mids get a bit better, and the brightness improves.   It's just very very pricey.  I also have the Black Dragon (which I will be selling), and it was a bit warmer but still added detail.  

With the 240SS everything got better.  With the Sony hybrid tips the Angie really delivers what the AK is putting out.  

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #2,601 of 3,122
Hello,
Considering buying Angies, can someone comment what's the major differences between Angie and Angie II.
Thanks 

It's mostly the esthetics and build qualty, better cable connectors, made by Moon Audio. The drivers are the same. So the SQ should be identical to the original.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #2,602 of 3,122
What size spinfit tips should I get for my Angies, if I am comfortable with the stock silicone tips?

I just find I have to keep shoving them into my ears every 10 minutes or so, and I hope the spinfits might stay a bit better.

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #2,603 of 3,122
Where's everyone running the bass control. I've been trying to find a balance that works for pop, rock, and metal. Sitting just under 1 o'clock just now. Much higher and I don't like the pressures I feel in my ears which detracts from the music.

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #2,604 of 3,122
Where's everyone running the bass control. I've been trying to find a balance that works for pop, rock, and metal. Sitting just under 1 o'clock just now. Much higher and I don't like the pressures I feel in my ears which detracts from the music.

I have it bang on 3pm. However ymmv. It works for all genres but I use a cowon player with the dsp.

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #2,605 of 3,122

I have them around 2:30pm - sounds great out of my am3 balanced amp module on FiiO X7 - Everything flat on native music app.

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #2,606 of 3,122
Out of my AK380 CU I use it at 2 o'clock and that suits me well for all genre.

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #2,607 of 3,122
Lots around 2 eh? I was about the same straight out of DFR. Bit less out of my iPhone direct. But I've wound it back further with the Mojo.

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #2,608 of 3,122
2 o'clock and 2:30 were my preferred positions when paired with the AK120ii. Nice and warm, yet still very clear and open.

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #2,609 of 3,122
With my AK 120ll, 3PM.  With my AK 240SS, a bit more than 2PM.  Silicon tips or Comply- that makes a difference as well.  Right now I'm using the Sony Hybrid silicon/foam and they give a pretty good punch.  With Spiral Dots I had the pots up (3+PM) a bit because I found the silicon a bit lacking in bass strength/timbre.

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #2,610 of 3,122
With reversed comply TS500 (to avoid the usual muffled sound by foam tips) 12h it's enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back