JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 25, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #2,146 of 3,122
Normally there is a foam filter that prevent dust and wax going inside the CIEM. Isn't it?
I hope it is not the foam you remove.
From my understanding, it acts like a damper that affect the sound, too. Removing it might allow tiny object to enter the CIEM but it might also change the shape of the sound.

Apr 25, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #2,147 of 3,122

I was hooked on ie800 for at least a year and got Angie a few weeks ago. I like Angie a lot better..a lot. I really love the ie800s. IMO, the Angies start blurring IEM and closed back full-sized territory. The biggest difference between the 2, to me, is the detail and extension. Obviously the sound signature is different, but you'll notice the out-of-headiness and crazy extension right off the bat. Angie was a blind-buy for me, but somehow I got what I was looking for. If you've happened to hear Audeze cans such as LCDX or LCD3, you'll recognize the sound signature immediately, or after your ears burn in. With a good source, Angies are something else. 
atsmile.gif

Apr 25, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #2,148 of 3,122
Tips- I tried the large size of the dots, and while i could get a seal, it felt like it was scraping against my brain :/  I ordered the wrong bore size of the spinfits 
blink.gif
 apparently I'm going to have a bucket of unused tips.

My cats like them, so there's that.

Apr 25, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #2,150 of 3,122

I was hooked on ie800 for at least a year and got Angie a few weeks ago. I like Angie a lot better..a lot. I really love the ie800s. IMO, the Angies start blurring IEM and closed back full-sized territory. The biggest difference between the 2, to me, is the detail and extension. Obviously the sound signature is different, but you'll notice the out-of-headiness and crazy extension right off the bat. Angie was a blind-buy for me, but somehow I got what I was looking for. If you've happened to hear Audeze cans such as LCDX or LCD3, you'll recognize the sound signature immediately, or after your ears burn in. With a good source, Angies are something else. 
atsmile.gif

so r u preferring the highs and treble of angies over the ie800 which is so sweet

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #2,151 of 3,122
Hey guys, I was looking for an IEM to buy... Would running these on just an iPhone 6+ be a 'waste'? Is it worth buying a DAC / amp? I feel like I want to travel as light as possible, so maybe these are not for me?

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #2,152 of 3,122
  Hey guys, I was looking for an IEM to buy... Would running these on just an iPhone 6+ be a 'waste'? Is it worth buying a DAC / amp? I feel like I want to travel as light as possible, so maybe these are not for me?

They sound great with my iPhone 4s. 

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #2,154 of 3,122

I've heard many times that the iPhone 6 and 6+ have some of the best portable DACs. They are better than most of the Fiio line apparently.

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #2,155 of 3,122
When I started "going up the ladder" with iems (I was using Ultimate Ears after I got disgusted with the Apple earbuds), I got about to the $150 level and then started buying DAPs.  That was with iPhone 4 and iPhone 5.  I could clearly hear a difference between my Colorfly C3 with and without amp and my iPhones.  Then I started getting better DAPs (moving up through Fiio and Pono to the AK line.  I haven't tried my Angie or UERM with my iPhone 6, but I'm pretty sure I'd still prefer my AK.
smile.gif

That said, people keep saying the 6 has a nice sound, so try it and see.  You can always decide later to start up the DAP ladder if you think you can improve your sound.  That's the joy of this hobby.  

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #2,156 of 3,122
The sound of the Angies with an european iPhone 6+ is good.
But connected to a last generation MacBook Pro is better. 

As everybody says in this post, Angies scale very well with good sources and amps.
And it is true.

My piece of advice, go for them! 
Every penny worth it! :wink:

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #2,158 of 3,122
A bit of pepper for this post.

Anyone has respelled its universal Angies to transform them in custom ones?

What do you think about it?

I contacted JH Audio about this and they said it couldn't be done. For legal reasons they couldn't spell it any other way. :frowning2:

They also said they couldn't reshell a Universal to Custom. :wink:

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #2,160 of 3,122
For those interested in my comparison between Angie and the Rhapsodio Solar, my CIEMs came in the mail yesterday.

It's unbelievable to have an IEM that stays put, and doesn't need the occasional re-seating. I'd all but given up hope on such a thing. Customs were my last recourse, and I'm mighty impressed. My ear actually pulls them in rather than pushes them out.

After a few hours of listening, I can say the Solar is every bit as clear and detailed as Angie. The signature is different, Solar having recessed mids, and Angie having heightened mids. I knew that going in. Solar never loses the vocals, even on dark, bass-heavy tracks, so I have no complaints there. However, it's a little rough around the edges, sonically, but I'm reserving judgement until it's burned in for 100 hours. Everyone on the Rhapsodio thread says it needs around that to mellow out. I'm not the sort to put my gear aside while it burns in. The Solar will burn in naturally with use, or not at all.

Solar has more bass than Angie, with deep sub-bass presence. The treble has a sparkle to it that Angie does not produce. Right now that sparkle borders on harsh, but does not quite hit that threshold. It's not sibilant. Both IEMs have detailed, utterly realistic vocals. The vocals on Solar are simply pushed back a little ways on the soundstage.

Even with those rough edges, it sounds fantastic. There's some real sub-bass going on here. Almost dynamic driver quality.

In short, I have high hopes these will be my favorite IEMs for the next few years. I'll know for certain after a couple of weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back