JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 27, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #2,161 of 3,122
For those interested in my comparison between Angie and the Rhapsodio Solar, my CIEMs came in the mail yesterday.

It's unbelievable to have an IEM that stays put, and doesn't need the occasional re-seating. I'd all but given up hope on such a thing. Customs were my last recourse, and I'm mighty impressed. My ear actually pulls them in rather than pushes them out.

After a few hours of listening, I can say the Solar is every bit as clear and detailed as Angie. The signature is different, Solar having recessed mids, and Angie having heightened mids. I knew that going in. Solar never loses the vocals, even on dark, bass-heavy tracks, so I have no complaints there. However, it's a little rough around the edges, sonically, but I'm reserving judgement until it's burned in for 100 hours. Everyone on the Rhapsodio thread says it needs around that to mellow out. I'm not the sort to put my gear aside while it burns in. The Solar will burn in naturally with use, or not at all.

Solar has more bass than Angie, with deep sub-bass presence. The treble has a sparkle to it that Angie does not produce. Right now that sparkle borders on harsh, but does not quite hit that threshold. It's not sibilant. Both IEMs have detailed, utterly realistic vocals. The vocals on Solar are simply pushed back a little ways on the soundstage.

Even with those rough edges, it sounds fantastic. There's some real sub-bass going on here. Almost dynamic driver quality.

In short, I have high hopes these will be my favorite IEMs for the next few years. I'll know for certain after a couple of weeks.

I am curious to hear you.

At least, they look good :wink: 
Let see, if they sound as good as they look.

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #2,162 of 3,122
So the current champion of the tips search is .... One comply "comfort" tip and one comply "isolation" tip, both size large. Good seal with minimal ear socket adjustment. Have to "stretch" the opening a bit to make sure the bore holes aren't covered. There it is. Happy as a clam.

May 4, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #2,163 of 3,122
Hi everyone, I own the jhaudio angie, and I was wondering what is your preferred dap to drive them.

Currently I am suing the sony zx2 and I feel I am missing some oomph in driving the jhaudio angie

cheers

May 4, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #2,166 of 3,122
Hi everyone, I own the jhaudio angie, and I was wondering what is your preferred dap to drive them.

Currently I am suing the sony zx2 and I feel I am missing some oomph in driving the jhaudio angie

cheers

My experience with Angie paired with various DAPs I own or reviewed.

Best to worst:

1) Chord Mojo (I know, not a DAP)
2) AK240 (balanced)
3) FiiO X7
4) ALO Rx (portable amp stacked with the X5ii)
5) Cayin N6
6) FiiO X5ii
7) Cayin N5
8) FiiO X5
9) iPhone5S
10) iPod Classic
11) AK100 mk2

The top 5 in my list do really well for my tastes. It would help with suggestions if you elaborated more on what you're looking for in a sound signature. "Oomph" could be interpreted many ways.

Edit: The 15mW output of the Sony is very weak, but then again the Angie's aren't really difficult to drive. What do you have the bass attenuator set to?

May 4, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #2,167 of 3,122
My experience with Angie paired with various DAPs I own or reviewed.

Best to worst:

1) Chord Mojo (I know, not a DAP)
2) AK240 (balanced)
3) FiiO X7
4) ALO Rx (portable amp stacked with the X5ii)
5) Cayin N6
6) FiiO X5ii
7) Cayin N5
8) FiiO X5
9) iPhone5S
10) iPod Classic
11) AK100 mk2

The top 5 in my list do really well for my tastes. It would help with suggestions if you elaborated more on what you're looking for in a sound signature. "Oomph" could be interpreted many ways.

Thanks so much for this kind reply

I am not very good in what words to use, but I feel my jhaudio angie's does not get driven with how can I say it "good dynamics". I feel it lacks abit in bass department as well

Maybe it was the wrong iem for me as I like to listen to alot of electronic music

Honestly I feel I need another iem as well, and soon to be followed with a great headphone. I have read there will be a new TH-610 out soon

But also I read so many people are happy with their angie's so I thought maybe I need another dap or amp or something

Cheers

May 4, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #2,168 of 3,122
Thanks so much for this kind reply

I am not very good in what words to use, but I feel my jhaudio angie's does not get driven with how can I say it "good dynamics". I feel it lacks abit in bass department as well

Maybe it was the wrong iem for me as I like to listen to alot of electronic music

Honestly I feel I need another iem as well, and soon to be followed with a great headphone. I have read there will be a new TH-610 out soon

But also I read so many people are happy with their angie's so I thought maybe I need another dap or amp or something

Cheers

For clean dynamics the Mojo or ALO Rx stack, for sure. For bass impact you may need to look at the Rosie instead of the Angie. The Angie bass dialled all the way up can't match the Rosie or the Roxanne, but I find the Angie's bass at 3 o'clock on the bass attenuator to be quite 'thumping' for my tastes and very clean. The AK240 it's overall a warmer sounding DAP compared to the others I've listed so it may be a consideration (warning - the battery life is terrible with any high res files). The X7 is very good with regard to instrument separation and dynamics. Almost holographic in nature, with good bass as well, but not really accentuated.

But again, if you want more bass than the Angie will give you then you may consider trying more bass heavy IEMs like the Rosie and Roxanne.

Edit: Also consider the Shure SE846 for subwoofer like bass in an IEM.

May 4, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #2,169 of 3,122
For clean dynamics the Mojo or ALO Rx stack, for sure. For bass impact you may need to look at the Rosie instead of the Angie. The Angie bass dialled all the way up can't match the Rosie or the Roxanne, but I find the Angie's bass at 3 o'clock on the bass attenuator to be quite 'thumping' for my tastes and very clean. The AK240 it's overall a warmer sounding DAP compared to the others I've listed so it may be a consideration (warning - the battery life is terrible with any high res files). The X7 is very good with regard to instrument separation and dynamics. Almost holographic in nature, with good bass as well, but not really accentuated.

But again, if you want more bass than the Angie will give you then you may consider trying more bass heavy IEMs like the Rosie and Roxanne.

Edit: Also consider the Shure SE846 for subwoofer like bass in an IEM.

Can I ask please what are the other differences between rosie / roxanne and the angie

May 4, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #2,170 of 3,122
Can I ask please what are the other differences between rosie / roxanne and the angie

More bass!! There are subtle differences in the way the mids and treble are presented as well. There's a lot of resources you can search Head Fi to read up on the differences. Here are a couple:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/746964/jh-audio-layla-and-angie-head-fi-tv#post_11141683

http://www.head-fi.org/t/791717/jh-audio-astell-kern-siren-series-full-metal-jacket-line-announced#post_12174812

May 4, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #2,171 of 3,122
Sorry. I mean with third parties like Custom Art or Cosmic Ears.
Any experience? Thanks!

After several emails and contacts I can confirm that just Cosmic Ears reshell Angies from universal to customs. Neither Custom Arts nor Inearz.

The problem is that they change the connectors from 4 to 2 pines. So you lose the included cables and bass attenuator.

May 4, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #2,172 of 3,122
Where do they set the bass at? Full bore? That makes Angie too dark. She loses a lot of transparency, clarity, and detail.

May 4, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #2,173 of 3,122

cheers

I am using a Questyle QP1R and it is great. It drives iems and headphones very well.

May 5, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #2,175 of 3,122
Thanks, I am getting an amp as that was recommended by many and see how that will change my perspective

Cheers

Mr-Nice, I don't believe you've answered the question about what level you have the bass attenuators on the Angie cable set to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back