JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 25, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #1,546 of 3,122
Yep. Machined metal is quicker, cheaper, and you get more consistent results. I understand why JHA would go this route.

Of course you loose that special hand-crafted mystique. My Angie is not perfectly uniform, but she's damn beautiful. I was lucky she didn't have any serious defects like others.

I love the sound. I wish I was lucky to have a good copy 
frown.gif

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #1,547 of 3,122
Did you actually send them back 4 times? Wow! 

Yep. First pair the left side kept cutting out after a week of use. Second pair came with a cracked off piece of acrylic, third pair wasn't assembled right and if you tapped on the right ear piece it resonate and this last pair had a serious imbalance problem the soundstage was shifted to the right.

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #1,548 of 3,122
Yep. First pair the left side kept cutting out after a week of use. Second pair came with a cracked off piece of acrylic, third pair wasn't assembled right and if you tapped on the right ear piece it resonate and this last pair had a serious imbalance problem the soundstage was shifted to the right.

Oh gawd! My first pair had an imbalance issue on top of the shell problems. I suggest that everyone checks for that imbalance when they buy Angie. JH might have forgotten to do it for you 
biggrin.gif
 Mine was shifted to the right as well! 

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #1,549 of 3,122

What else can I say but man, that sucks.

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #1,551 of 3,122
As in every forum, regardless of the type of thing being discussed, the postings re performance, build, or aesthetic issues seem to be more prevalent than those from folks who have no issues because, well, those folks don't post.   

Many/most people don't have issues with JH devices and so don't show up here.  Those of us who do post here with no problems seem, from reading here recently,  to be in the minority.  I really don't think we are.  I've read plenty of posts from folks who had problems, over the past year or more, with JH iems.  It was a consideration that I needed to decide about before I purchased mine.  I did eventually purchase a pair and have no issues.  I don't have numbers of Angies sold, but I'm sure it is in the high hundreds or low thousands, or more.  If we see ten people here who post with problems, and a thousand Angies have been sold,  that is a 1% fault rate.  Anything made in the industrial (or, now, the post-industrial) age is going to have an error rate based on manufacturing/quality control methods.  

I'm not trying to make excuses re the issues some are having.  But I do want to point out that the problems posted here are NOT global, and that many of us are perfectly happy with our Angies.  JH may or may not have changed the Angie to solid metal due to manufacturing issues and difficulties, or not.  Unless or until the company weighs in about it, we won't know.  It's all just guessing.  

My Angies are not identical, but I'm ok with that.  They are handmade and I expect some variation.  I assume (assume!) that the new metal ones will all be cookie-cutter identical.  To me that loses a bit of the coolness of the ones I have.  But that's me.

I feel bad for those of you having issues.  I'm not trying to ignore your pain or your problems.  I hope JH can make you whole.  But you are not in the majority, or there would be twenty or fifty or a hundred posts like yours, and there aren't.  

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #1,552 of 3,122
Well said (below).  I have purchased two JH Audio CIEM products (JH-5 and Angies) and they are fine handmade products that sound wonderful and have yet to fail me.  For those who are having issues with theirs, I hope JH Audio makes it right.

CJ

Quote:
  As in every forum, regardless of the type of thing being discussed, the postings re performance, build, or aesthetic issues seem to be more prevalent than those from folks who have no issues because, well, those folks don't post.   

Many/most people don't have issues with JH devices and so don't show up here.  Those of us who do post here with no problems seem, from reading here recently,  to be in the minority.  I really don't think we are.  I've read plenty of posts from folks who had problems, over the past year or more, with JH iems.  It was a consideration that I needed to decide about before I purchased mine.  I did eventually purchase a pair and have no issues.  I don't have numbers of Angies sold, but I'm sure it is in the high hundreds or low thousands, or more.  If we see ten people here who post with problems, and a thousand Angies have been sold,  that is a 1% fault rate.  Anything made in the industrial (or, now, the post-industrial) age is going to have an error rate based on manufacturing/quality control methods.  

I'm not trying to make excuses re the issues some are having.  But I do want to point out that the problems posted here are NOT global, and that many of us are perfectly happy with our Angies.  JH may or may not have changed the Angie to solid metal due to manufacturing issues and difficulties, or not.  Unless or until the company weighs in about it, we won't know.  It's all just guessing.  

My Angies are not identical, but I'm ok with that.  They are handmade and I expect some variation.  I assume (assume!) that the new metal ones will all be cookie-cutter identical.  To me that loses a bit of the coolness of the ones I have.  But that's me.

I feel bad for those of you having issues.  I'm not trying to ignore your pain or your problems.  I hope JH can make you whole.  But you are not in the majority, or there would be twenty or fifty or a hundred posts like yours, and there aren't.  

Jan 26, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #1,554 of 3,122
I swapped out my Westone Mushroom tips after three weeks on my Angie for my Complys and I've gotta say the Complys are, to me, better.  They certainly pass more of the (very) upper register along.  It might be that the Mushrooms stick out a bit more from the Angie nozzles, and that interferes in some way.  The Complys are almost even with the nozzles.  I thought when I first started listening with the Mushrooms that the very high register was a bit dampened, but wanted to be sure.  So after three weeks I swapped and boom, very clearly the highs were back.  Immediately noticeable. Your milage may vary.

Jan 26, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #1,555 of 3,122
Yeah I have 3 pairs of JHA IEMs and all three are perfect. Not to mention any dealings I've had with them, they've been very nice. I feel bad for the people who've had problems though. 

Jan 26, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #1,556 of 3,122

Based on your suggestion, the chance of someone having to swap Angies 4 times is 1/100 * 1/100 * 1/100 * 1/100 and the chance of me having had to swap it 2 times is 1/100 * 1/100 So, I have to disagree with you. I don't know about other JH Audio products but build quality on Angies is horrible.

Your argument makes sense if some people don't care about the cosmetic issues and think about the sound. They'll be like: "hey! Mine are special with that "half-glued" faceplate but they sound great! so who cares?" 

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #1,557 of 3,122
You are having troubles.  As many of us have said, we're sorry about that.  If you can't get a pair you like, return them and move on (if that is possible).  But your experience is not a global experience, and stating that the build quality of Angies is horrible is not global either.  Many of us have now posted saying ours are fine.  I don't have an issue with my earpieces being slightly different.  Perhaps if my faceplate was glued incorrectly I would agree with you.  But it is not.  John1323, above, says his three pair are fine. cj3209 has two pairs he is happy with.  Pinky is happy with his.    Not a global issue.  For you the issue is making you more and more frustrated.  Again, ask for a refund and move on if you think that will make you happy.   But saying that Angies are built badly isn't what most of find.  Count up the happy customers in the past 15-20 pages.  

BTW, I have no connection with JH Audio at all.  Never been to the shop or talked to a single employee.  (In fairness, I do have a relationship with Ultimate Ears employees and have been to its shop, but that doesn't factor here.)  

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #1,558 of 3,122
  You are having troubles.  As many of us have said, we're sorry about that.  If you can't get a pair you like, return them and move on (if that is possible).  But your experience is not a global experience, and stating that the build quality of Angies is horrible is not global either.  Many of us have now posted saying ours are fine.  I don't have an issue with my earpieces being slightly different.  Perhaps if my faceplate was glued incorrectly I would agree with you.  But it is not.  John1323, above, says his three pair are fine. cj3209 has two pairs he is happy with.  Pinky is happy with his.    Not a global issue.  For you the issue is making you more and more frustrated.  Again, ask for a refund and move on if you think that will make you happy.   But saying that Angies are built badly isn't what most of find.  Count up the happy customers in the past 15-20 pages.  

BTW, I have no connection with JH Audio at all.  Never been to the shop or talked to a single employee.  (In fairness, I do have a relationship with Ultimate Ears employees and have been to its shop, but that doesn't factor here.)  

I'm not saying my experience is a global experience. The point that I'm trying to get across is that people who are having problems with Angie are not the small minority that you mentioned
wink.gif
. That's all! Anyways, let's see how this'll end! 
beyersmile.png

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #1,560 of 3,122
Angie tips

I achieved my best result with custom tips. Before Westone Comply inner plastic tube pulled it and I removed the nozzle, but there was much more blunt sound signature.

My Upgrade cable

A good copper Litz cord threw my out of my Tocos potentiometers the cable division, as he disturbed me employed at the stock cable.
The connection to the factory 2.5mm balanced cable I installed over.
The resulting sound was clearly higher resolution than the stock cable.
The biggest change occurred in the middle, but the high is more prominent, but not intrusive. Sibilance of course there is not. The deep more determined, more accurate.
About 30 dollars was the cost of materials and construction.

The Angie's voice is very natural, just like if you listen to headphones.
The best earphones ever!

Sorry for my english!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back