JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 11, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #1,171 of 3,122
How are folks dealing with wax build up in the bores?

I clean my ears regular but find the bores getting wax in them and the only way to clear it is with a needle as the cleaning tool doesn't fit in the 2 smaller bores.  

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #1,172 of 3,122
I had really high hopes for Angie based on all the reviews I've read, and after getting it and spending some time with it, I feel really sad, because it really is quite excellent in most ways, except that I can't seem to get rid of that pesky 7 KHz peak--likely due to my ear canal shape. I tried all the different tips including ones from other IEMs, but I can't get rid of that peak. 

I love the adjustable bass and at 2 o' clock position it sounds just perfect for me. The upper mids are recessed but some people prefer that since it creates a warmer sound. Overall I really like the Angie, and if it wasn't for my ear canal shape creating that 7 KHz peak, I would totally keep it as my end-game IEM. But that peak bothers me enough that I'm selling it. If anyone wants to buy it, it's pristine condition, since I only had it for a few weeks. The classified link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/788130/jh-audio-astell-kern-angie

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #1,173 of 3,122

I clean my ears regular but find the bores getting wax in them and the only way to clear it is with a needle as the cleaning tool doesn't fit in the 2 smaller bores.  

I have a SwissArmy knife on my keychain which has a straight pin tucked away in it. That does a fairly good job. I also bought a set of fine surgical picks, like dentist tools, that can scrap out any gunk.

The best thing is to simply clean your ears regularly. I've been taking a damp paper towel to my ears every morning. The silicon tips seal much better when they press against clean flesh. Even dry wax on the outer canal can make the seal less than favorable.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #1,174 of 3,122
I have a SwissArmy knife on my keychain which has a straight pin tucked away in it. That does a fairly good job. I also bought a set of fine surgical picks, like dentist tools, that can scrap out any gunk.

The best thing is to simply clean your ears regularly. I've been taking a damp paper towel to my ears every morning. The silicon tips seal much better when they press against clean flesh. Even dry wax on the outer canal can make the seal less than favorable.

I was a bit worried about damaging the bores internally with a pin but might try and use similar to yourself if its got a straighter head as oppose to the sharp end of the needle.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #1,175 of 3,122
The nozzle tubes are steel. You will not damage them with light scraping. Hell, you probably couldn't damage them with heavy scraping, but I wouldn't recommend that. :)

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #1,176 of 3,122
  Yeap, it was basically a 'let's stop talking about this before we have a problem' moment. But hey, there are more important things to take offense with right, someone's taste in IEMs didn't strike me as being worth straining a friendship over. 

As I'd mentioned earlier, I was considering getting a custom cable for the Angie, but haven't really felt like it was vital, especially after reading some of the opinions here. What did you mean by custom sleeves (for the 846)? Something like those silicon tips you can get made based on ear impressions to fit over universal IEMs?

Yes, the Sensaphonics made from impressions.  Made the 846 into a silicon-tipped custom.  Very comfortable.  

I've always bought custom cables for my iems, but not for my UERM and Angie.  Both cables (balanced) are excellent, and I like the tuning with them.  

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #1,178 of 3,122
They streamlined the assembly after they got buried under a ton of orders. I truly don't think JH Audio was prepared for the number of Angie orders - especially after so many reviews where people admired the Layla but commented that the Angie was the better value and often a more enjoyable listen. There were many Angies sold with assembly oddities - weaves that were barely there, size differentials between L & R IEMs - but they got their arms around it in July/August of this year. When I bought I was fully expecting a looney bin weave, but I was surprised by the symmetry of the weave.

They were clean, but still in different directions so it was obviously hand-made - just steadier hands. (The bottle of Gin was passed around before the DT's kicked in)

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #1,179 of 3,122
  Does anyone know where I can actually try these babies out in the Hartford, CT area? I'm guessing I'll probably have to venture to NYC or Boston, but I have no idea what high-end audio places carry IEMs to demo like the Angie and Layla.

Everyone says you should really just listen before you buy because everyone's tastes are different (e.g. some prefer Angie over Layla). So if there's actually a place in nearby I'd love to actually try.

Musicians Hearing Solutions in NYC lets you demo all the JH IEMs and they carry some other brands, too.  If you want customs, they can make the molds for you.  I had a great experience with Julie.

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #1,180 of 3,122

This is so frustrating to hear for someone shopping for their first high-end headphones! I've read tons and tons of comments and reviews on tons of CIEMs and there's so much conflicting information. At this point I can't even tell if $1200 JH Audio Angie would be better than my $50 NVX ES10S.

They will completely and utterly outclass your ES10S by orders of magnitude.  I prefer them to my $2500 studio monitor/DAC combo.  One thing, if somebody thought they sounded muddy, may be they were using an audio source that had a higher impedance than Angie needs.  I had that issue plugging into my Apogee.  Definitely made it considerably darker.

Dec 12, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #1,181 of 3,122

Needle as well.  I returned my first Angies, mistaking clogging for a disfunction in the right earpiece.  When it happened again, I luckily read a post on the smaller bores, and saved myself unnecessary trouble.
By the way, where can one get a replacement cleaning tool?

Dec 12, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #1,182 of 3,122

I was a bit worried about damaging the bores internally with a pin but might try and use similar to yourself if its got a straighter head as oppose to the sharp end of the needle.

Try the eye of the needle.

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #1,185 of 3,122
I just got my Angies yesterday, sortof on a whim 
etysmile.gif
 Ive been hunting for a new TOTL IEM with great detail and sound separation, I was recommended the Angies on another thread and after reading 79 pages of this thread I was pretty convinced. After going to the store and trying them out I liked them more than the 846s, 535s, and w40s I tried, it was a tough decision between ety ER4s and the Angies, the ER4s had the greatest treble detail and clarity I've heard, but the Angies were much more 'musical' with a more 'full' sound, and something gave me a feeling the Angies would be for me. 

They have a very unique sound to me that I have not heard from any other speaker/headphone before, does anyone else notice this or have I just not heard other similar sounding phones?
They have very good soundstage for an IEM it's like my head is a speaker from ear to ear if that makes any sense , very good tight punchy and not overpowering (my kind of) bass if you so choose to turn up the bass port (awesome feature), cymbals / snare region (these are 'highs' I assume?) aswell as drum kicks are quite pronounced, the sound feels 'full' and I can hear all the different sounds in good detail but at different levels so I would say they are not very neutral. 

Coming from listening to adams studio monitors and etymotic hf5 which are very neutral, I think it will take some getting used to the Angies sound (and this whole behind ear thing), but I believe over time (and some EQ playing) I will (hopefully) be able to fully appreciate them. I have a fiio x3ii and e12a on the way, I'm sure these will show me more of Angies potential.

Angie was named after a rolling stones song of the same name, for anyone who has not heard 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcZn2-bGXqQ (music video, poor sound)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5_EBAzIPJM (no video, better sound)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back