JH Audio 10 and 10x3
Jul 11, 2010 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

guruindrag

Sponsor: ALO Audio
hi all,
i'm looking for input from owners of jh 10s and jh 10x3s.  i've been auditioning universals of both, and am very interested in people's experiences with them.  if you own either, how would you describe their sound (especially differences between universals and your final custom pair), and what musical genres do you listen to? 

i know my chances are slim as far as getting much feedback, but i can't find a single post regarding the 10s, and little regarding the 10x3s, so i had to try.  thanks!

Jul 11, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 9
good luck mate getting some info on this, iv not yet gone onto customs but am looking at getting the jh16pro soon.
by the way what gain do you use on your rx for the hd595 as i have both but only ever used the hd595 about an hour after getting it about 6mths ago so just wondering if low or high would be better. cheers

Jul 11, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 9
hi hiphopparrot,
i think i'll be lucky to even get ONE response about the 10s, but i'm hoping someone will post!  the 13s/16s get all the hype and nobody pays attention to the rest of 'em.  i consider myself lucky to prefer the sound of the mid-range models, but it makes it difficult to get personal sound impressions from others.

the 595s definitely only require a low-gain setting.  if you are running low-efficiency headphones through the rx, it's preferable to switch it to high-gain (the rx will even power the demanding 600 ohm t-1s on high-gain).  ken at alo audio recommends keeping the rx amp set to whichever gain you require, so if you don't have any headphones that require a lot of power (the 595s don't), low-gain is perfect for you.  enjoy!  =)

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 9
thanks for the reply, i did have the rx on high for a while but found it does not sound as good as it does on low and alo does say they found this to be the best setting, might get my 595 out tomorow and give it a few hours.
good luck on info on the 10s their must be someone here

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 9
I think there's a sale on the 13s right now. I know they're not what you were looking at, but with the reduced price difference you might consider them.

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 9
price is not an issue at all.  i had the opportunity to audition the entire line and prefer the 10 and 10x3.  they have a very similar sound (the reason i'm looking for personal experiences), which to me is much flatter than the 13.  for my ear and the kinds of music i tend to listen to, the 13 isn't my favorite.  jerry is a very cool guy and jhaudio does marketing like no company i've seen, but i think a lot of their iem models have been underappreciated.

looks like i'll probably have to just pick one on my own.   

Jul 17, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #8 of 9
To me the 10x3 is more detailed, wider soundstage, and more (but not better) presence. So why do I like the 10?  Simply put, it has a more analog sound to me... a more neutral sound across the spectrum. Which one is better? Haven't a clue. However, I do agree that this is the sweet spot in the JH line......no offense to the fotm crowd

Aug 18, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 9
I just got my 10X3s today, so I haven't had a ton of time to really get into the nitty gritty yet but my initial impressions are really positive.  I'm not quite sure where I fall in the mix on if armatures require break in or not, but my first few hours with the 10X3s have me loving the sound signature.  I find the response to be rather flat (obviously in a good way).  The bass is not lacking, but it's not super pronounced either.  I think it is just right.  Plenty to not have them sound tinny, but not too much that it sounds like a rave in my head.  I listen to a wide variety of music, and ind that these really shine on vocals and instrumentals.  Right now, I am listening to Josh Groban and I just had on Rodrigo Y Gabriela., both sound excellent.  Josh's voice is sweet and very natural sounding.  The guitar on Rodrigo Y Gabriela is also quite nice, very much live sounding.  I haven't really found anything yet that doesn't sound good on these IEMs.  There are things that the quality is less noticeable on, but in many cases these are either lower quality recordings, or just busier recordings that are harder to pick out details in.  Bjork's Homogenic was also particularly good.  The down side to these is that they make so-so recordings unbearable to listen to.  I would say, if you are looking for a flat sounding IEM with nice detail and enough bass to get the job done, but not liquify your grey matter, these are a great choice!

Good luck!

Here's a pic of mine.  I went with deadwood solid for the color, with the flying girl logo in red.  I'm thrilled with the result!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back