JH-3A SIGHTINGS in the WILD
Apr 8, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #211 of 246
Thread bump...

So it's been almost a year and a half since I cancelled my order on the 3a, and over 8 months since I checked the status of the 3a, but now am enthused to see these actually made it to market!  Just went to the website to place an order, however there is a note stating "NEW ORDERS SHIPPING IN 4-6 WEEKS"... So my big question is, have all the pre-orders been filled (anyone still waiting on theirs?), and if yes, has anyone ordered one in the past month and received it yet? Thanks for the updates guys, glad to see this thing lived up to its potential after all!

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #212 of 246

Quote:
Thread bump...

So it's been almost a year and a half since I cancelled my order on the 3a, and over 8 months since I checked the status of the 3a, but now am enthused to see these actually made it to market!  Just went to the website to place an order, however there is a note stating "NEW ORDERS SHIPPING IN 4-6 WEEKS"... So my big question is, have all the pre-orders been filled (anyone still waiting on theirs?), and if yes, has anyone ordered one in the past month and received it yet? Thanks for the updates guys, glad to see this thing lived up to its potential after all!

Just pulled the trigger today. Was told things are at 4 weeks for the combo right now. Looking forward.

May 1, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #214 of 246

Quote:
Thread bump...

N0 THEY DID NOT MAKE IT TO MARKET

THEY DID NOT LIVE UP TO THEIR POTENTIAL

YOU ARE TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY WRONG.

What happened was that Jerry Harvey did not have the patent to the active crossover design he used head-fi'ers' pre-order money to develop. Ultimate Ears has that patent. Jerry never had a chance in hell to bring it to market and he should have known it.

What got sent out as the "jh3a" is a passive crossover. It's not at all what was promised by the original vaporware.

May 1, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #215 of 246

Quote:

What got sent out as the "jh3a" is a passive crossover. It's not at all what was promised by the original vaporware.

Well, it still sounds with JH16 better than high-end rig (SPL Phonitor, Leben CS300X, Zama and other Czech made amps).

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 1, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #218 of 246

Quote:

Well, it still sounds with JH16 better than high-end rig (SPL Phonitor, Leben CS300X, Zama and other Czech made amps).

Sure, it's possible. But, let's be clear it is a completely different thing than was originally promised.

May 1, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #220 of 246

Quote:
Yes it is different, maybe active solution would be better? But now we have just passive, still it sounds sounds great and I dont care what technology it use.

Yes, of course, please enjoy them. I was responding to swiftal who seemed to me to be totally unaware of everything that has transpired. Maybe Ultimate Ears will make an active "UE3a" someday. Anyway, no offense intended, happy listening.

May 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #221 of 246

Quote:

Yes, of course, please enjoy them. I was responding to swiftal who seemed to me to be totally unaware of everything that has transpired. Maybe Ultimate Ears will make an active "UE3a" someday. Anyway, no offense intended, happy listening.

Thank you for your well wishes Kunlun. I read a lot of the earlier threads when this was in development and i can understand the frustration people went through. I can also understand why they don't even want to hear the name JH. But, from what I have read there seems to be no difference. I am not sure but I think the active crossover would have been in the unit which would exclude the use of the 16's with any other amp. This way you get the best of both worlds. Just ordered mine last week, so kind of exited. :)

May 1, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #222 of 246
I had the opportunity to measure the frequency response of the JH3A.  With the the bass management (B/M) off the frequency response is ruler flat from ~35Hz through the mid bass region.  The equalization Jerry and team intended on administering really does the trick.  It's quite incredible to me because no other IEM I have heard about has equivalent low end frequency response.

May 1, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #223 of 246
Quote:
I had the opportunity to measure the frequency response of the JH3A.  With the the bass management (B/M) off the frequency response is ruler flat from ~35Hz through the mid bass region.  The equalization Jerry and team intended on administering really does the trick.  It's quite incredible to me because no other IEM I have heard about has equivalent low end frequency response.

I just had some work done on my 16s because of fit and seal issues. (I had new impressions done and sent those to have the modifications done to the 16s.)  i just got them back today (a four-day turnaround total including two-days in the mail for those interested).  I had heard some of the legendary low end frequency response with the 16s now and again depending on fit and seal, but now the problems I had are fixed I was completely blown away by the bass on the 16s with the 3A (and Solo CLAS).  So, I completely agree with tf1216 that these IEMs are in a (bass) class of their own compared with others that I have heard (including the JH13s).  This is where having the ability to adjust the bass with the 3A is valuable.  Also a point here from my experience: you have to have the right fit and seal to maximise what IEMs have.  Obvious, I know, but made all the more so by the differences I heard with and without a proper seal.

May 1, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #224 of 246
And I don't think that JH tried to fool anyone. No one wanted the JH3A to be a unique active crossover solution more than Jerry I am sure. And maybe when he find out that the amp sounded just as good with passive crossovers (it is still a divided system with 3 separate channels for phase correction and equalizing with active DSP), he did not have to take the fight with UE about the active crossover patent. And he did offer everyone a refund when he made that decision. What more could he do?

However I think that Jerry might have been a little bit un-tactical, but he was even more unlucky with a lot of problem with the amp. He forced it trough and if he wouldn’t have done that the JH3A might not have seen the light of day. And I think the JH3A is a really good thing! I like my system a lot with TWag v2 cables. And the bass adjustment is pretty unique and can not be compared with the up coming Rx Mk 3 since the bass drivers are fed by its own cable and the boost can’t affect the mid and treble at all. But I have nothing in that league to compare it with yet so it is hard for me to comment how good the system really is.

I am about to get the Spiral Ears 5-way to compare with, but I don’t know what amp to drive them with. I feed the JH3A digital with CLAS and I will use the CLAS for the 5-way also but I don’t know what amp to use. I’m thinking about the Continental v2 or the up coming Rx Mk 3 (same dimensions as the CLAS), but I am not sure. Suggestions any one?

May 10, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #225 of 246
No Optical in, and USB limited to 16/44  
frown.gif

JH-3A seems indeed a top performer...  It is just too bad that COAX seems to be the only good "digital in" solution !  

-> This limitation may lead me to buy the UM PP6 instead (since I have a iRIVER AK100 as a source). 

--> Has someone compared the sound quality of the  JH-3A  to  the UM PP6 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back