Jerry Harvey, The Rise of the In-Ear Monitor | Talks at Google
Apr 20, 2014 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Jerry Harvey, the inventor of the modern in-ear monitor, speak on a variety of topics, ranging from his touring days as the sound engineer for acts like Van Halen, Kiss, Morrissey, Mötley Crüe, k.d. lang, and Linkin Park, to his entrepreneurial endeavors starting Ultimate Ears and JH Audio.

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 24
I have seen many videos/interviews of Mr Harvey in which he talked about his IEMs , answers were always related to the technology gone into the products (In deep) never did he talk about stuff like "Oh ..it sounds very good" etc , nice to see people like that ! 

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #3 of 24
His change in body language and the way he talks when a guy asks about technical details followed by his explanations shows how much he dedicates himself in audio quality and the passion he has.

Although I'm not into professional audio, it is interesting to hear what Jerry has to say about it.

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #4 of 24
Feel so proud having JH Audio products after watching this. LOL

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #8 of 24
Nice find. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if he was nervous presenting at Google- huge opportunity to get some new customers :-D

One would think that software developers/other engineers would be a perfect market for IEM's. I live in the Bay Area and actually don't see as many around as I would expect!

One of the most awesome things I appreciate about JH Audio is they are a relatively small shop which IMO keeps their culture undiluted from delivering excellent customer service and developing high quality products. I concur that watching this made me proud to own some JH5's.

It's humbling to hear his early beginnings as a guy who wasn't especially talented or overly driven, he just kept working on perfecting his product. Nice mention of the VC influence in the Logitech takeover of UE.

I also appreciated his praise to the South East Asia market. Very cool.

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #10 of 24
  Very nice interview. JH seems down to earth ... Some people in this industry have BIG egos.

I got to meet him at a recent headphone show where I live. Really swell bloke. Always takes the time to talk to you, regardless of how busy he is. He's inked like a rockstar, but thankfully doesn't have any of the ego.

Best moment of the interview = 29:46. Stick it to em FR measurebators, Jerry!!

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #11 of 24

I got to meet him at a recent headphone show where I live. Really swell bloke. Always takes the time to talk to you, regardless of how busy he is. He's inked like a rockstar, but thankfully doesn't have any of the ego.

Best moment of the interview = 29:46. Stick it to em FR measurebators, Jerry!!

Hope to meet Jerry one day! :)

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #13 of 24
One of the most awesome things I appreciate about JH Audio is they are a relatively small shop which IMO keeps their culture undiluted from delivering excellent customer service and developing high quality products.

I take it that you haven't been following the Roxanne thread then?

I'd certainly like to know what it's like to own a JH Audio product... I only know what it's like to have paid for one.

I found the video a compelling watch though. Congrats to Jerry at getting his foot in the door to get some google exposure!

Apr 23, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #14 of 24
Fantastic talk. Thanks for the upload. Jerry is a really clear communicator and really makes the tech easier to grasp and appreciate. 

I also like his recognition for the move to super high end universals. As before the time when we arrive at the ultimate end game 
adjustable iem I can't warrant going custom. As I like to sell my stuff every year or so and move on to newer gear. 

Cheers! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back