Jecklin Float Electrostatic headphones.
Nov 28, 2015 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Christer

Headphoneus Supremus
Is there anyone here who has a pair of Jecklin Float electrostatic headphones with the new power supply?
For many years I used mine with the old power supply and in they were some of the most transparent headphones in those days.
I am talking way back in time to  the 70s -80s and 90s.
My pair eventually  became non functional  and instead of trying to have them  repaired I bought sennheiser's HD 650 and then HD 800.But   there is a company in Germany that both refurbishes old Jecklin Floats and also  builds new ones. 
The new power supply obviously weighs around 10 kilos and according the their site  and  Jürg Jecklin himself one can use the old ones with the new power unit.
And with the new power unit even old ones will  show their full potential according to him.
I  still have my old set and fondly remember them for their transparency and very fast transients compared to the HD 650.
 HD 650 were good dynamic  headphones and I still have a pair but rarely use them these days. HD 800 is just so much better. But even they do not have the transparency of electrostatics.
The real drawback as I remember them was that they were lacking in bass response althoug the panels were huge compared to most other headphones.
I think they still possibly have  the biggest surface area electrostatic panels of any headphone?
I remember comparing them to the Staxes of those days and they were better than those imo.
So once again, if anyone here has heard or owns and uses either the old Floats with the new power unit or  a new set I'd be interested to hear what you think of them compared to the best of today's headphones.
Cheers Chris  seriously  interested in the very best most realistic  reproduction of acoustic music.

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 23
I am surprised that among all you "Headphonius Supremiuses" there seems to be not  even one who has heard either the old nor the new Jecklin Float electrostatic headhones. I suspect they could very well give  the new ridiculously high priced electrostatic headphones from Sennheiser and now HIFIMAN and good run for their money!

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 23
Hi there, I guess you might have better luck in a more European centric hifi forum.
Since you have the "ue" on your keyboard you are in the German speaking area then try "open end music" forum.
I don't think a lot of the orig. Floats have been exported. One must-have for a headphone in my book is comfort. I remember having heard the original once and sound was pretty OK but I am not a yogi holding my head in a fixed position for as long as I want to listen to music. Maybe my head is too small and therefore the Float was almost falling off. 2 or 3 years ago I heard the new Float at a NYC HiFi show, comfort was better but still similar issues. Unfortunately it was way to loud in the presentation room to give any meaningful judgement about the sound. Obviously the concept requires distance from the phones to the ears, so this is not gonna change. Fit will stay awkward.

Jan 16, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 23
  Hi there, I guess you might have better luck in a more European centric hifi forum.
Since you have the "ue" on your keyboard you are in the German speaking area then try "open end music" forum.
I don't think a lot of the orig. Floats have been exported. One must-have for a headphone in my book is comfort. I remember having heard the original once and sound was pretty OK but I am not a yogi holding my head in a fixed position for as long as I want to listen to music. Maybe my head is too small and therefore the Float was almost falling off. 2 or 3 years ago I heard the new Float at a NYC HiFi show, comfort was better but still similar issues. Unfortunately it was way to loud in the presentation room to give any meaningful judgement about the sound. Obviously the concept requires distance from the phones to the ears, so this is not gonna change. Fit will stay awkward.

Yes comfort was an issue for extended listening sessions I remember. I actually used mine a lot lying down and just having them  around my head without actually touching it. I still listen to a lot of music at night that way with my HD800.
The headphones sort of disappear from your mind and wonderful music is projected nicely slightly above  me. Especially so with binaural material.

Jan 16, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 23
They made a new model, the Float QA if that's of any interest: http://www.quad-musik.de/html/float.html

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #6 of 23
  They made a new model, the Float QA if that's of any interest: http://www.quad-musik.de/html/float.html

Yes that is exactly the one I am thinking about. I have the old one. But according to that site to hear the full potential even of the old ones you need the new PSU.
Judging from memory only I still suspect the new one might be a challenge for both Sennheisers new electrostats and HIFIMAN's at a much better price.
But yes most people would have to listen lying own as I used to do with mine.

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 23
I was a floater once, with 2 pairs, one black and the other silver. I long a go sold them in a non-functional state to a guy who called them head quads and planned to fix them. If I felt I could have fixed them, I would have kept them. I don't recall the bass being too bad.

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 23
I heard the newer models . What I can say is hands down best headphone period . I have a few top end setups , nothing us close to,them. The only draw back us looks of hiw they sit on your head. There us now 3 models also some Amps. They are no longer stats either. They play loud and clean and have ambience no other headphone has. My advice if you have a powerful amp min 3 watts at 8 ohms try a pair the top end us about 1200 cheap by today's crazy prices.
I'll post a review from a friend when it's done .

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #9 of 23
I heard the newer models . What I can say is hands down best headphone period . I have a few top end setups , nothing us close to,them. The only draw back us looks of hiw they sit on your head. There us now 3 models also some Amps. They are no longer stats either. They play loud and clean and have ambience no other headphone has. My advice if you have a powerful amp min 3 watts at 8 ohms try a pair the top end us about 1200 cheap by today's crazy prices.
I'll post a review from a friend when it's done .

Where did you find the information  that there are 3 models?
As far as I know there is only 1 new Jecklin Float headphone but three different power supply units and they are as far as I know still electrostatic headphones like the original model I still have.
And they are now  made in Germany by a company specializing in  refurbishing  old Quad  electrostatic speakers.
There are  headphones that look similar to Jecklin Floats and are dynamic headphones but they are nowhere near are true electrostic headphone in SQ.
Those just happen to look similar but are not Highend headphones really.

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #10 of 23
Www.precide.ch click the label on the left bar to get English. Heil AMT for speakers and Ergo for HPs and amps.

Follow the link. It's extremely good.

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #11 of 23
Www.precide.ch click the label on the left bar to get English. Heil AMT for speakers and Ergo for HPs and amps.

Follow the link. It's extremely good.

Are you referring to the Ergo models 1 and 2? I've been trying to order the model 2 from retailers in the U.K. (I am in the US) but they are terrible at responding. I don't know if there is a better way to get them here in the US.

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #12 of 23
Get there flagship. It's a completely different headphone.
I have a friend who I trust he had all three the flagship is very very good. I had him over my place for about 8 hours retong our brains at times. I had as dacs my msb stack , Psaudio direct steam. HUGO. Amd my modded big 7 lampi
Amps were woo wes for stats and woo WA5. All had the best tubes I know of. Crazy tubes lol. Headphones.
Lcd3 stax 009 sennhisser baby Orpheus Hifiman HE6
Hd800. Dsd and pcm. The headphone above is at least on par woth the stax or baby orpuis and using a normal amp. Point is to be at that level at a fraction of the cost is fantastic.
Where they really excell is sound stage and overall imaging with an openness no headphone on your head has pits them above anything I ever heard. The float fails often but also a great sound.
Let me see if I can help you purchase them. Give me s but to contact a friend in Swiss

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #13 of 23
Also make sure you get here adaptor to use them Ina SE or XLR setup.

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #14 of 23
https://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?product=ergo+headphones

This is the retailer that doesn't respond even though I placed order on Dec 28th.

So the AMT can run off your own amplifier ? I thought it needed its own like an e-stat.

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #15 of 23
Go to there website. Sorry sholvijg snow right now.
I'll
Post later or my friend Norman will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back