JDS Labs Element
Mar 27, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #512 of 636
Is it possible to use only the "amp" part of the Element for my Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC?

I'd like to use the following setups simultaneously without needing the disconnect neither of them:
1) PS4 > optical to Modi > RCA to Element > 3.5mm to headphone
2) Desktop > USB to Element > 3.5mm to headphone

What I mean by simultaneous as in switching between PS4 and Desktop freely without disconnecting the cables physically. 

Mar 29, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #514 of 636
  Is it possible to use only the "amp" part of the Element for my Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC?

I'd like to use the following setups simultaneously without needing the disconnect neither of them:
1) PS4 > optical to Modi > RCA to Element > 3.5mm to headphone
2) Desktop > USB to Element > 3.5mm to headphone

What I mean by simultaneous as in switching between PS4 and Desktop freely without disconnecting the cables physically. 

The new updated Element has RCA input optional which is the one that let you bypass the DAC and only the AMP will be use with Headphone.

For the next question, unfortunately you can not switch between 1 and 2 without disconnecting the cable because there is no space to put another button for this. After all the original Element was design to have only one input which is USB input. How does it work? The RCA input will priority over USB input. So if you want to use USB input you just have to unplug the RCA input and if you want to use the RCA input then you just plug the RCA input and it will overwrite the USB input.

Mar 29, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #515 of 636
  The new updated Element has RCA input optional which is the one that let you bypass the DAC and only the AMP will be use with Headphone.

For the next question, unfortunately you can not switch between 1 and 2 without disconnecting the cable because there is no space to put another button for this. After all the original Element was design to have only one input which is USB input. How does it work? The RCA input will priority over USB input. So if you want to use USB input you just have to unplug the RCA input and if you want to use the RCA input then you just plug the RCA input and it will overwrite the USB input.

Hmm, so I have no choice but to disconnect the RCA cable every time if I want to use desktop... And vice versa for PS4.

Though It seems like I could use my Modi 2 Uber to bypass the Element's DAC. So it looks something like:
- PS4: PS4 > Optical to Modi > Modi RCA input to Element RCA input > 6.35mm to headphone
- Desktop: Desktop > USB to Modi > Modi RCA input to Element RCA input > 6.35mm to headphone
This way, I could freely switch between two devices via Modi?

This is troubling. Now I'm not sure if I should go for Element or Schiit Magni 2 amp.
The former is my original intention as I need a DAC + AMP combo for my desktop (also due to my personal preference). If the above setup actually works then I would absolutely go for Element.
However if such setup does not work for whatever reason, I'd probably just buy the Magni 2 amp and hook it up with my Modi 2 Uber.

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #516 of 636

Hmm, so I have no choice but to disconnect the RCA cable every time if I want to use desktop... And vice versa for PS4.

Though It seems like I could use my Modi 2 Uber to bypass the Element's DAC. So it looks something like:
- PS4: PS4 > Optical to Modi > Modi RCA input to Element RCA input > 6.35mm to headphone
- Desktop: Desktop > USB to Modi > Modi RCA input to Element RCA input > 6.35mm to headphone
This way, I could freely switch between two devices via Modi?

This is troubling. Now I'm not sure if I should go for Element or Schiit Magni 2 amp.
The former is my original intention as I need a DAC + AMP combo for my desktop (also due to my personal preference). If the above setup actually works then I would absolutely go for Element.
However if such setup does not work for whatever reason, I'd probably just buy the Magni 2 amp and hook it up with my Modi 2 Uber.

You got that right if you just want to use Element as an AMP only. Only the USB input on the Element use the DAC. The RCA input will bypass the DAC of the Element which mean you can use outside DAC as the source. In your case you will have Modi 2 Uber as DAC and Element as AMP, and you can control the input on your Modi 2 Uber. Well but you will have 2 devices on your table if that what you want.

Mar 30, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #517 of 636
  You got that right if you just want to use Element as an AMP only. Only the USB input on the Element use the DAC. The RCA input will bypass the DAC of the Element which mean you can use outside DAC as the source. In your case you will have Modi 2 Uber as DAC and Element as AMP, and you can control the input on your Modi 2 Uber. Well but you will have 2 devices on your table if that what you want.

I don't mind having two devices. Not to mention I have to use two devices setup regardless - be it Schiit combo, Element + Schiit or whatever.

With that being said, I just realized how if I'm going to use Element + Modi combo I won't be using the "DAC" part on the Element... Which defeats the whole purpose of buying DAC + Amp all-in-one device in the first place.

If this was the case then I should probably get a dedicated full tube amp or Magni 2 right? Or is the money worth it for "amp" part of the Element only? Though I feel that $350 is a bit too steep for a product which the main primary function is to use both DAC and amp, and not just the amp part only.

Maybe I should've created a new thread for my current dilemma.

Jun 13, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #521 of 636
  one little question,i got my element for almost one month,quite like its sound,but  there is always some unexpected llittle noise in the left side of my headphone,and i'm quite sure the noise not from the usb input,when i pull out the usb cable,there still the noise,and i try another headphone,the noise still exist,that really made a trouble when i'm listening.
so,could anyone tell me how to solve it ?

Yes - I had the same issue. It seems to happen when the element is placed closed to other electrical devices (with transformers) in my case I resolved it by playing music through the element, and moving the unit around until the hiss was gone. It was a real big issue with low impedance head phones.  

I also have the exact same issue with my element (purchased late 2015). I'd get random bursts of static/noise from the left ear only from time to time, and it was extremely annoying. I had the element on my desk to the left of my monitor and less than 2 feet away I also had a wifi usb dongle on the left corner of my desk.

After moving the element to the right side of my monitor it seems to have completely eliminated the random bursts of noise. Is this a common issue with other external amp/dac units? I don't have much experience with other external amp/dac and I guess I didn't expect to run into an issue that doesn't happen when my headphones are plugged directly into the IO panel at the back of my computer. If anything I was under the impression that I was more likely to hear random noise when using onboard audio.

Jun 13, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #522 of 636
Please see: https://www.jdslabs.com/troubleshooting

Yes, this happens with certain high bandwidth designs. EMIRR is a new term dubbed by Texas Instruments to describe the behavior. Unfortunately, the measurement is rarely published, even across TI's line.

The best solution is to distance amplifiers from noise sources. If you're unable to position Element away from RF noise sources, we can install an alternative amplification stage.

Jun 16, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #524 of 636
Thinking about purchasing the Element.Anyone else have experience pairing it with Planar Magnetic headphones-specifically the ZMF Omni's?Any thoughts would be appreciated.I'm not looking for an endgame amp but something that will work well with the ZMF line of headphones.Tx!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back