JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Nov 10, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #1,487 of 3,417
Yes indeed! I almost moved to Android because Apple's proprietary lock on everything in their chain was starting to become a bit much. This is a huge move and makes the JDS C5D an essential buy in my opinion for the iDevice user - a series coup d'état for JDS in this market. Previously you had to pay around $500-700 for a portable DAC compatible with iDevices. $250 for a serious piece of hardware!? Done.

The iDevice needs iOS7, so an old classic iPod won't work, but any current generation iPhone / iPad / iPod will work for sure. In addition to having iOS7, these all have Lightening USB ports that can handle the Camera Connection Kit. Open question as to whether the previous generation traditional 30-pin usb port iDevices with iOS7 are compatible (e.g. an iPhone 4s running iOS7). They are. JDS Blog links to the CCK for 30 pin USB previous generation iDevices: http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=722

Is this for certain? Maybe it's just that Apple hasn't updated their product details, but the original 30-pin CCK was for the iPad. I recall a thread for iPad + CCK-compatible DACs, but not other iDevice.

Nov 10, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #1,489 of 3,417
Rockboxed doesn't allow Digital audio out. Just normal line-out.

Nov 10, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #1,492 of 3,417
I think iPod Touch was what was supposed to be said. iPod Touches can use iOS 7.

But anywho, thanks for the clarification everyone. That's just awesome! I think the C5D is the first DAC [and amp] to be advertised to work with iOS 7 + CCK devices! I think I know what to do with my Best Buy gift card finally. ^_^

Nov 10, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #1,494 of 3,417
Going by this, can I still play music without using the DAC in the C5D? Using an LOD from my ipod that is, so that I only use the amp part of the C5D..?

Look here.

CONNECTIVITY

Analog Input
3.5mm​

DAC is only active if you connect a UAC1 output to the C5D's USB input.

Nov 10, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #1,497 of 3,417
Does anyone know where I can get a short (1 inch to 1.5 inch) right angled mini to micro usb cable? I plan to stack my phone on top of the C5D and use the cable to connect them together. Any longer in the length and the cable will jut out from the width of the stack and render it "unpocketable". I've searched around on google and while there are a few custom usb cable makers, they are unable to make the length as short as I want it.

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #1,499 of 3,417
With the charging light indicator. Well its charging its blue..but how will I know when its fully charged?

If you're just charging it, the blue light should turn off when it's fully charged.

I'm not sure what happens if it's done charging charging it and you're using it at the same time. When I have it charging and it's turned on, the both the green and blue LEDs turn on and the resulting light is a light-blue colour.

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #1,500 of 3,417
If you're just charging it, the blue light should turn off when it's fully charged.

I'm not sure what happens if it's done charging charging it and you're using it at the same time. When I have it charging and it's turned on, the both the green and blue LEDs turn on and the resulting light is a light-blue colour.

nice thanks I appreciate it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back