JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Oct 27, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #1,396 of 3,417
  Just speculation, but I wonder if it's a portable DAC/amp. The combo seemed to be requested by some people when the C5 was announced.

That would be really awesome.  I've love something like that for when I'm on someone else's computer and they have  a junk dac...

Oct 28, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #1,398 of 3,417

Just speculation, but I wonder if it's a portable DAC/amp. The combo seemed to be requested by some people when the C5 was announced.

That would be really awesome.  I've love something like that for when I'm on someone else's computer and they have  a junk dac...

Yeah tell me about it .. much like to know

The C5D is coming, it has an output impedance of 0.62. I'm not sure if it's different in any other way than the C5

Oooh snaaaaap! From their latest blog post:
 We’re running half staff today and tomorrow while JDS Labs presents at CanJam. If you’re anywhere near Denver this weekend, CanJam at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest is the place to be. Check out our booth for freebies and a first look at our upcoming amp + DAC.

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #1,400 of 3,417
Damn, just when I thought I was out.... they keep pulling me back in!!!  
wink.gif

Excuse #1: Wife really likes the AKG Q701, but it needs an amp.  The DAC in her laptop is crap.  Solution: C5D  
k701smile.gif

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #1,404 of 3,417
  There's still a C5 in the classifieds for 120 EUR (http://www.head-fi.org/t/687307/fs-minty-jds-labs-c5), which is very tempting, but my question is: will I have any benefit with the C5 + FiiO X3? X3's amp is very powerful, lots of volume and bass and sounds very very good. Would I still benefit from a C5 with this player? I mean, could the C5 be a better amp than the X3?

You will benefit if you are a bass head.  The bass on the x3 to the c5 sounds superb.  If you try to get high bass levels with just the x3, there will be a lot of muddiness and warmpth.

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #1,407 of 3,417
Well the C5 and iPhone 4S pair quite nicely with the Alpha Dog. Not bad. Not bad at all. The O2 just has a little more bass rumble next to the C5, and the previously mentioned larger soundstage and laid-back mids.

Nice rig. Is that an a/b switch in the middle? Where did you get it. I was gonna make one myself, because i can't find one.

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #1,410 of 3,417
Yup that's an A/B/C/D-er. It's the FiiO HS2, but they no longer make it. I got it for ~$20 USD from a vendor and they sold out. You might be able to find one on eBay.

Not $20, but here ya go.  I was tempted, but seems you really want it, lusident.

LOL, seems there are two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back