JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
May 3, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #946 of 3,417
Quote:
Yes but a measured flat frequency response does not equate to what you hear. The FiiO E11, and most likely the E12 successor, measures perfectly flat too from Innerfidelity's amp measurements, as do pretty much every solid-state amplifier nowadays, yet they sound warm and the treble is laid-back relative to the O2; the house FiiO sound signature.

In terms of frequency response I disagree.  I find everything I've ever seen measured from a good source matches what it should sound like perfectly... again, in terms of frequency.  If you consider other factors than of course that won't give you the exact sound just by looking at a graph.  But you need to be able to differentiate the other traits from the frequency response and describe them accordingly.  I can't speak for every graph maker, as some try to "compensate" certain things, but I do believe an amp can have the same FR curve and sound different.  However, I would be able to tell the FR is the same.  Just like my ipod to my c5.  They don't sound the same.  But if you had asked me I would say the FR is identical.  But there are differences that can give the impression of a different FR if you don't know what to listen for, such as spaciousness.  Some people might attribute that to more treble, because that usually "clears things up".  However, more treble comes with side effects, whereas spaciousness is a different thing all together.

If you take into account all of the phase shift, distortion, etc., that would all detract from clarity.  Softer details are usually described as warm, so that would make sense if the e11 sounded warmer than the C5, as it is a more clear, crisper amp.  But that doesn't mean the treble is necessarily less in amplitude than the c5, thereby have a similar curve.  Also, solid state amplifiers are not always flat nowadays. :)  A lot of them have noticeable bass rolloff at the lowest end.  Some have very high rolloff as well.  But in general they are still very good and the middle areas are usually ruler flat.  But anyhow, I think all of these opinions are good and valid.  I'm just trying to say that frequency response is a very large factor in the sound of a device and earphone, and it should be noted that the c5 is extremely flat in that regard...

May 3, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #947 of 3,417
Glad we got all that out, in a civilized matter. Now, no point in arguing over graphs anymore, let's get back on track.
My findings are all subjective like miceblue, luisdent lets agree to disagree :)

Keep it civilized guys

May 3, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #948 of 3,417
What other portable headphone amplifiers use a digital volume potentiometer other than the Apex Glacier and Leckerton UHA-4? I find it to be much, much, much more practical than the typical analogue potentiometer or digital buttons for portable use at least, even though I prefer the feel of an analogue potentiometer. 1-finger volume control? Yes please! :D

May 3, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #950 of 3,417
Quote:
What other portable headphone amplifiers use a digital volume potentiometer other than the Apex Glacier and Leckerton UHA-4? I find it to be much, much, much more practical than the typical analogue potentiometer or digital buttons for portable use at least, even though I prefer the feel of an analogue potentiometer. 1-finger volume control? Yes please! :D

I'm pretty sure Google is working on a thought-controlled potentiometer for Glass.  I'm sure someone can hack up a way to interface it with the C5....

no, I'm not high.

yes, I am kidding/dreaming 
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #951 of 3,417
As per miceblue's recommendation sometime ago and lots of other comments around here , I have finally placed an order for the C5 with some custom engravement . Hopefully it pans out well . We'll see how it turns out for me when it arrives . 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #958 of 3,417
Quote:
Glad we got all that out, in a civilized matter. Now, no point in arguing over graphs anymore, let's get back on track.
My findings are all subjective like miceblue, luisdent lets agree to disagree :)

Keep it civilized guys

No arguing.  Just conversation. :)

"There ain't no good guys, there ain't no bad guys.  There's only you and me and we just disagree."

May 6, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #960 of 3,417
No arguing.  Just conversation. :)

"There ain't no good guys, there ain't no bad guys.  There's only you and me and we just disagree."

Yeah that's the fun part of this hobby for me I guess...the variety and subjective part and perception of each individual when it comes to sound/equipment preferences.....it will be boring if everyone's view/choices/opinions is the same.... and if I was being objective than I would have to say that the O2 and C5 or in fact many well built amps would actually sound the same.(Ok I might get flaked for this statement but...)
I remember sometime back there is actually this amp challenge that you could try and win 10,000 dollars by trying to identify the sound diffenrence in two amps...any two amps if I'm not wrong, though I'm not too sure if you could still try it now and if I'm not wrong nobody has yet to win it.
Let me see if I could find the faq link to it.......ok below is it.
http://tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back