JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Mar 30, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #781 of 3,417
Quote:
So you are comparing a headphone amp against an MP3 player for battery life and EQ flexibility?

I don't really compare them against each other. I know what I like when I hook them up w/ my headphones :)  

The Cowon S9 has pretty good output power, it can make T1 sound too loud to even put on my ears when set to highest volume (although I never really pair these together, only tested a couple of times). That's why I haven't bought a portable amp until now. I just want to try how my iPhone/iPods pair w/ a portable amp. For now I quite like the combo.

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #782 of 3,417
For those that is still on the fence or considering to get one I've compared my tube amp(has loads more power,less than a quarter turn on the volume knob to get the same volume level) with the C5 in high gain and level matched with the same SPL(pretty loud around 96db +/- 0.5 db) and it sounds the same(differences are negligible) to my ears. So for portable use you won't regret getting one.

Mar 30, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #783 of 3,417
For those that is still on the fence or considering to get one I've compared my tube amp(has loads more power,less than a quarter turn on the volume knob to get the same volume level) with the C5 in high gain and level matched with the same SPL(pretty loud around 96db +/- 0.5 db) and it sounds the same(differences are negligible) to my ears. So for portable use you won't regret getting one.

Wow!

That's quite a complement for the little fella, isn't it? :)

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #784 of 3,417
Wow!

That's quite a complement for the little fella, isn't it? :)

I know.Just by comparing without level matching the volume, I feel that my tube amp sounds better but once level match I can't tell them apart.
But driving power hungry phones at home I would still use my tube amp although the C5 could drive them at decent level, the dynamics and effortlessness of my tube amp to drive these phones is still lacking with the C5 but like I said for portable use with portable phones the C5 sounds as good as my tubey.

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #785 of 3,417
I was able to fix the forwardness of C5 by reducing my source output to 0.5 vrm. Now my EX-1000 sounds a lot more laid back while still maintaining just enough detail. I feel C5 will sound as good as what you feed it. However if what you feeding it is more than 1.0 VRM it becomes forward sounding 

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #786 of 3,417
Quote:
I was able to fix the forwardness of C5 by reducing my source output to 0.5 vrm. Now my EX-1000 sounds a lot more laid back while still maintaining just enough detail. I feel C5 will sound as good as what you feed it. However if what you feeding it is more than 1.0 VRM it becomes forward sounding 

May I ask how do you reduce your source output to 0.5vrm?

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #788 of 3,417
I know.Just by comparing without level matching the volume, I feel that my tube amp sounds better but once level match I can't tell them apart.
But driving power hungry phones at home I would still use my tube amp although the C5 could drive them at decent level, the dynamics and effortlessness of my tube amp to drive these phones is still lacking with the C5 but like I said for portable use with portable phones the C5 sounds as good as my tubey.

Like you said, we must consider the C5 for what it is: a portable amp above all else. Given that attribute, to be virtually indistinguishable from a much more powerful tube amp at a volume they can both comfortably drive is to speak volumes of the design of the C5 :)

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #789 of 3,417
Today I decided to to an A/B test with Arrow 4G and C5: Cut the story using my AK100 as source and pairing with my reference IEM the Er4s C5 was a clear winner. Last time I trust my mind without listening to it.
I still prefer arrow for my low impedance IEM but for higher one C5 truly wins by a great margin.  

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #790 of 3,417
I have Computer --> ODAC --> UM3X, Sennheiser HD580, Sennheiser MX580. 

I have been wanting to buy an amp for a long time but I am not sure that I need them?
I was going to buy the O2 but I also saw the imbalance issue. I almost always listen to music at low volume and sometimes, I do have imbalance issue with just outputting from ODAC. 
From the reviews I see, C5 is a relatively neutral(compared to other amps) amp that solves the imbalance issue that O2 has. C5 does have a little more forward mids than O2 but not dramatically so this will make the sound slightly warmer which I don't mind. 

Do you guys have any advice? Currently I do not really have a big problem with just my set up. But I want to see if you guys think my sound will be improved from using C5 or maybe I need higher class headphones before I need an nice amp?

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #794 of 3,417
Quote:
Hm I connected my c3 again now the c5 is burned in it does sound realy good it's more detailed than the iPod touch even I'm double amping now.
I am listening a lot to this setup I think I need a full size headphone now.

And a dedicated DAC. 
tongue.gif
 jk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back