JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Mar 29, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #768 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:
Ah, this L9 LOD cable might work better than the L3.

So no external DAC for you?

I'm not going to spend $500+ USD on an Apple Certified mobile DAC....if anything I'll just bring my laptop and ODAC with me, which will probably be a better-sounding rig than the mobile DAC. That plus $300+ is the point of diminishing returns for me in audio gear at this point in time.

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #769 of 3,417
I wonder if I might throw in a request for advice. I've read the opening review and most of the thread and I think there a slight lack of a "wow" response. I'm torn between the C5 and iBasso T5 - which one would be more fun between the mobile phone (mp3's there due to space limitations) and Sennheiser HD25-1. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #770 of 3,417
I wonder if I might throw in a request for advice. I've read the opening review and most of the thread and I think there a slight lack of a "wow" response. I'm torn between the C5 and iBasso T5 - which one would be more fun between the mobile phone (mp3's there due to space limitations) and Sennheiser HD25-1. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #771 of 3,417
C5 wins over T5 not by a small margin but by a huge margin. I own the T5 for a long time and the only thing that it wins over C5 is the size. T5 in no way, shape or form can even compete with C5. 

PS:If you want I be more than happy to sell my T5 to you with more than a reasonable price :)
Quote:

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #772 of 3,417
Quote:

Honestly, nothing really wows me any more at this point (not even an LCD-2, K1000, or SR-007 MKI). I don't know if that's good or bad, hahaha. The HD800's massive soundstage was the only thing that wowed me in terms of audio, period.

I just listen for how things sound and if I like it, I like it. The O2 was built to "sound" transparent, so I use that as my reference amp. The C5 has similar colouration, or lack of it, compared the the O2 and that sounds good to me and I like it.

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #773 of 3,417
curious if anyone have listened and compared C5 vs. Tralucent T1 or UHA6MkII. there is also XDuoo amp on other forum which is well praised but not sure if easy to buy. they all seem to be in the 200-300$ price range if i am not mistaken.

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #775 of 3,417
Just joined the club :)

Got a C5 yesterday, my very first portable amp. Hooked up with my iPhone4s w an iBasso CB07 LOD, sound a lot better than using iPhone alone. Now my Cowon S9 got a serious competition sound quality wise. But its battery life and EQ flexibility (to suit different headphones/IEMs) are really hard to beat.

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #776 of 3,417
Just joined the club :)

Got a C5 yesterday, my very first portable amp. Hooked up with my iPhone4s w an iBasso CB07 LOD, sound a lot better than using iPhone alone. Now my Cowon S9 got a serious competition sound quality wise. But its battery life and EQ flexibility (to suit different headphones/IEMs) are really hard to beat.

Of which, C5 or S9?

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #779 of 3,417
Quote:
Just joined the club
smily_headphones1.gif

So you are comparing a headphone amp against an MP3 player for battery life and EQ flexibility?

Mar 30, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #780 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:
Honestly, nothing really wows me any more at this point (not even an LCD-2, K1000, or SR-007 MKI).

Ah, but have you tried an SR-009?

No, but I've talked to people who really like the SR-007 MKI (I'm a big fan of it, but like I said, it doesn't wow me, it just sounds really good) and they said although the SR-009 sounds better, it isn't worth the price difference, and if so I would certainly agree. Paying twice the price of a SR-007, which is already quite expensive at $2600, for a little bit better sound quality isn't worth it to me.

C5 is still within the < $300+ diminishing returns range for me so I am completely satisfied with the C5 for what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back