JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Feb 13, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #121 of 3,417
Quote:
LOL. Nothing is perfect. Lets keep it about the C5. Everybody says they design for perfect. I like his blog a lot but......

Oh, not really a problem per se, but I just question the validity of information from a forum that blocks information I know is reasonable tested, thought out information.  That's all.  I don't want to start anything, but block the user not our ability to share good information.  That's ridiculous. :p  Is it really not allowed to link to his site?

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #124 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:

I super like the C421 size, too. And that being said, I think the C421 w/ the OPA227 is a stellar amp! Am I excited for the C5? Sure. But that doesn't change that if JDS never came out with the C5, I'd still be perfectly happy with the C421. I'm afraid some have indicated that the C421 is a less than great amp. Its a great amp! 

I have to completely agree with you. I've put my c421 for sale as nowadays I just use the iBasso P4 (almost all the time, as it's just pure awesomeness with the opamp setup I have) and the E12 (because of the "new toy" syndrome)! But I enjoy the c421 very much, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It amazed me for a long time, and in the future, I'm almost sure I'll try the C5 too...

How does the C421 fare against the E12 sound-wise? I think the C5's major competitors are the E12 and the C&C BH.

I hope the C5 has a non-brushed metal option. I have the ODAC with that finish and it tends to attract a lot of skin particles...kind of gross when you think about it. When I rub my hand in the opposite direction of the grain, it puts a chalky coating on the ODAC, and likewise for any fingernail scratches.

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #125 of 3,417
The C421 size is perfect with the iPod classic. It has been my trusty go to amp, I love my C421, and let's see if the C5 will replace it

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #126 of 3,417
How does the C421 fare against the E12 sound-wise? 

From the short comparison I've done, the c421 (OPA2227) wins for mids and highs (smoother), and sounstage! It kind of feels more natural. The E12 is more "fun", with a more powerfull bass section and more agressive mids and highs. This, with a  new "straight-out-of-the-box" E12 unit. These findinds are my subjective view about them...

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #127 of 3,417
I think the main difference will be channel imbalance not being a problem with the C5, that may swing it for me, but only sound will really swing it, and I will have to be very impressed for it to steal my C421's place, the C421 really is an amazing portable amp, from sound to build quality

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #129 of 3,417
Given that the C5 is designed objectively instead of subjectively, and that it is done with the Prism Sound dScope Series III audio analyzer make me highly optimistic that the C5 will be a baby O2 amp that I can finally squeeze into my tight jean pocket together with my music player.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #130 of 3,417
Quote:
Given that the C5 is designed objectively instead of subjectively, and that it is done with the Prism Sound dScope Series III audio analyzer make me highly optimistic that the C5 will be a baby O2 amp that I can finally squeeze into my tight jean pocket together with my music player.

We can only hope. 
popcorn.gif

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #131 of 3,417
Any indication on price yet? I am hoping and expecting it to be <$200.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #133 of 3,417
Quote:

I will shed a tear. :p

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #134 of 3,417
The ODAC is quite small. If the C5 is as neutral, or near neutral to the O2, isn't it possible for JDS Labs to marry the ODAC to the C5 in a pretty small package that is still highly portable? If that's the case, then anyone with an android phone can have a 100% neutral set up on the go

So it's: Android phone --> USB out --> (ODAC + C5) --> earphones

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, I'm very new to using an android phone with an external DAC and not exactly sure of the pathways and how it works.

Feb 15, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #135 of 3,417
Quote:
The ODAC is quite small. If the C5 is as neutral, or near neutral to the O2, isn't it possible for JDS Labs to marry the ODAC to the C5 in a pretty small package that is still highly portable? If that's the case, then anyone with an android phone can have a 100% neutral set up on the go

So it's: Android phone --> USB out --> (ODAC + C5) --> earphones

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, I'm very new to using an android phone with an external DAC and not exactly sure of the pathways and how it works.

I could be wrong, but I think their hands are tied using the odac/o2 designs being open source without nwavguys permissions, and i think he fell of the planet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back