JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Mar 25, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #3,091 of 3,417
  Yeah, John even said himself "asynchronous as a word just sounds better to audiophiles" and that "if he redid the C5D today he would ship it in adaptive mode so it wouldn't have this issue with 1% of people". So in your opinion I should send it back to get it in adaptive mode? Also, I'm torn about the line-out thing lol convince me it's worth it to have them change it.

Yeah do it! Get the line out and start looking at really expensive desktop units like a Woo Audio tube amp and Whiplash cables LOL. Seriously, you got the C5D which has the DAC so go ahead and use it. I agree with John. Audiophiles tend to be loners and hermits that hide in their gear caves so "asynchronous" makes them feel more in their comfort zone than synchronous. I'm also following the AK240 thread and I kid you not, there is real debate on stainless steel versus aluminum cases. It's not academic either as there are a lot of dollars in play for the $3K DAP.

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #3,093 of 3,417
It is the later, for example say I'm listening to spotify, when I resize the window the music will continue but the sound will cut out. When I have the program open in front of me it seems like everything works fine. Does changing the software to USB adaptive mode affect the SQ at all?

Edit: I talked to John and he said that he sees this in about 1/100 people and it happens on random computers and they don't know why. He said that if they were to remake the C5D they would have it run in adaptive mode because it does not affect performance at all and it would eliminate that problem...

Also, what is 2the point of the line-in jack? Why would you ever want to bypass the DAC? Should I have John switch this port over to a line-out for the DAC so I can have the DAC go to a separate AMP if I want?

Thanks!

I use my C5D currebtly stacked with my DX50. So the line out from the dap goes intonthe C5D and I am in audio heaven. If i listen via my iphone, I use the lightning to usb so I can use bothbDAC and Amp.

Itt's to have options and that is a very good thing. Sometimes you cant bypass the DAC but stikk need the amp.

Cheers,
K

Mar 28, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #3,095 of 3,417
  While my C5D is at JDS is there any better DAC I can have them install inside?

The whole circuit is designed around the PCM5102A pairing up with the SaviAudio USB receiver, outputting the correct data stream to the DAC chip, and also the clocks, power rails and surrounding DAC circuitry. I can't imaging that they can just whack in another DAC chip...
blink.gif

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #3,096 of 3,417

The whole circuit is designed around the PCM5102A pairing up with the SaviAudio USB receiver, outputting the correct data stream to the DAC chip, and also the clocks, power rails and surrounding DAC circuitry. I can't imaging that they can just whack in another DAC chip...
blink.gif

True and John told me the DAC in the C5D is one of the best portable DACs (which it is) and even outperforms the ODAC in some areas.

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #3,098 of 3,417
  How is the C5 compared to the Cayin C5 or E12A?

I own the C5 and the Cayin C5... to my ears the C5 is the cleaner sounding of the two. The Cayin is more the powerful of the two. The JDS seems to have better separation. Take that with a grain of salt as I haven't listened to my Cayin enough to know if it is properly burned in... that is you believe in that sort of thing.

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #3,100 of 3,417
How is the C5 compared to the Cayin C5 or E12A?

I have the C5D and the Cayin C5 - the Cayin has a larger soundstage and oodles of power. The c5d is maybe a bit more refined and offers more versatility.

Both are really really great amps. Currently prefer the Cayin but that's because I currently listen more to full.size headphones.

So if you want an amp for IEMs I would recommend the c5d. Anything that needs more power. The Cayin.

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #3,101 of 3,417

Yeah do it! Get the line out and start looking at really expensive desktop units like a Woo Audio tube amp and Whiplash cables LOL. Seriously, you got the C5D which has the DAC so go ahead and use it. I agree with John. Audiophiles tend to be loners and hermits that hide in their gear caves so "asynchronous" makes them feel more in their comfort zone than synchronous. I'm also following the AK240 thread and I kid you not, there is real debate on stainless steel versus aluminum cases. It's not academic either as there are a lot of dollars in play for the $3K DAP.

Adaptive mode fixed my issue, no audible differences (and honestly I wouldn't expect any). Sounds great, just as incredible as before, driving my DT770 250s no problem :D

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #3,102 of 3,417
For a set of Beyerdynamic DT-770 32 ohm headphones will the C5D be powerful enough? Or should I look at the Cayin C5 instead?

I like the thought of a DAC in it since it's gonna be better than my iPhone 6 Plus that's for sure, and being able to use it with my Windows 7 laptop as well saving me from needing another usb dac for the laptop.

I use MediaMonkey to convert my FLAC to decently high resolution 320bps or higher so a better DAC would be nice... But I'm not doing critical listening in my iPhone tbh.

Thoughts appreciated.

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #3,103 of 3,417
For a set of Beyerdynamic DT-770 32 ohm headphones will the C5D be powerful enough? Or should I look at the Cayin C5 instead?

I like the thought of a DAC in it since it's gonna be better than my iPhone 6 Plus that's for sure, and being able to use it with my Windows 7 laptop as well saving me from needing another usb dac for the laptop.

I use MediaMonkey to convert my FLAC to decently high resolution 320bps or higher so a better DAC would be nice... But I'm not doing critical listening in my iPhone tbh.

Thoughts appreciated.

Yes it will. C5 amp was able to drive my 32 ohm T5P fine with low gain.

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #3,104 of 3,417

Thoughts appreciated.

I have both, the Cayin C5 and the C5D.

Both will be fine and since you need the versatility the C5D offers, go for it.

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back