JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Oct 1, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #2,761 of 3,417
Hi all.

I've been going crazy in choosing dac/amp. I really like c5w. My main reason for c5w will be to listen in the train. I'm playing mainly flac files 16 bit/ 44.
The most annoying thing is, that none of the producers ( expect beuer) are supling dac to iphone cable.
I have one question, is there a big difference in sound while connecting to c5w via 3.5 jack and via lighting port when playing flac 16/44 ?

Thank you

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #2,762 of 3,417
Here's my setup, thanks for the good help! :) I'm really happy with this amp!

Pelican 1020 Micro Case
Apple iPod Classic 7th Generation
Fiio L3
JDS Labs C5 Headphone Amplifire
Gardo Labs SR60e

Great set up.  I'm looking at the Pelican cases now, but I'm wondering what that is wrapped around your C5.

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #2,763 of 3,417
Great set up.  I'm looking at the Pelican cases now, but I'm wondering what that is wrapped around your C5.

I wrapped my C5 in kitchen self liner. You can order it from Amazon in different colors too. Con-Tact Grip Premium Non-Adhesive Shelf Liner, 12-Inch by 4-Feet, Black. This helps protect the C5 from scratches and dirt. Also, get the shelf liner that is non adhesive and pick one that is not rough. Some shelf kitchen liners are really tough and may scratch your amp. The product I mentioned above earlier is soft to the touch but thick enough to protect my amp.

I got the idea from zombywoof

I have not heard the C5 with the Vsonic, but someone else probably has this combo and can comment.

Getting the music from the iPod to the C5 can be accomplished in two ways.  You can use a 3.5 mm >3.5 mm cable.  This takes amplified sound from the iPod headphone out jack, and feeds into the input on the C5 where it is amplified again.  In this arrangement the volume control on the iPod will still be functional, as will the volume control on the amp.  The preferred way, and the way to get the full advantage of the generally superior amplifier in the C5 compared to the amplifier in the iPod, is to use a line out dock cable which is a 30 pin (for docking connector on iPod) > 3.5 mm.  In this arrangement, you will bypass the amplifier on the iPod (the volume control on the iPod will no longer function), and be feeding an unamplified analog signal directly to the C5, taking full advantage of the SQ of the C5.  A photo of my rig is below.  If you are going to go the route of an external amplifier, the small investment (about $10 on Amazon) for the Fiio L9 cable is necessary, in my opinion.  (Just type Fiio L9 in the Amazon search box.)  If you decide to go with the C5, I believe JDS Labs sells the Fiio L9 on their site.

Some folks claim that the custom LOD cables improve SQ.  I am not one of them.  The Fiio LOD cable is well made and inexpensive...does the job.  I have had one for almost two years with out ever having any problems.  The custom LOD cables can be in the $100-$200 price range.  If I had that kind of $$$ available, my choice would be to upgrade headphones/IEMs.

Hope this helps.

The material I used is a perforated foam shelf liner that my wife had left over from the kitchen cabinets.  Actually, I believe it is similar to the material identified by H2O, but sold in a roll.  All I did was cut a rectangle the same length as the C5, and with width long enough to wrap completely around the C5.  I wrapped the piece of shelf liner around the C5, temporarily held the ends together with some electrical tape, and placed my iPod on top of the taped side.  With the elastic band in place everything stays together nicely.  Here is another pic that with a better view of the material.

A happy coincidence that my C5 is red and the shelf liner was red.  One would not want to go out of the house with a portable rig that is not color coordinated.

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #2,766 of 3,417
I'm the proud owner of a new Ibasso DX-50. If I feel the need to purchase
a separate amp I think the JDS amps will be right for me. I can get by with
the C5 since the DX-50 already has a DAC correct? I wouldn't have to spring
for the C5D

Oct 3, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #2,772 of 3,417
Actually I have a question for jseaber regarding amplifier designs. What design challenges are presented when trying to drive earphones with multiple balanced-armature drivers?
I've seen objective measurements done on portable media players with different in-ear earphones and the frequency response almost always turns out differently when driving an earphone with balanced armatures compared to one with dynamic drivers.

Here's one for example:
Dynamic driver
http://rmaa.dfkt.tk/Comparisons/16%20Ohm%20Dynamic%20-%20Samsung%20R0%2C%20Cowon%20J3%2C%20Sony%20A845%2C%20Sansa%20Clip%2B.htm
fr.png.pagespeed.ce.jnvondbNsN.png

vs
3x balanced armature drivers
http://rmaa.dfkt.tk/Comparisons/32%20Ohm%20Multi-Armature%20-%20Samsung%20R0%2C%20Sansa%20Clip%2B%2C%20Cowon%20J3%2C%20%20Sony%20A845.htm
fr.png.pagespeed.ce.PSm6eO6HOH.png

Oct 3, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #2,773 of 3,417
miceblue: those frequency response variations are typical of high output impedance combined with non-flat impedance curve from the IEMs, which is very common with BA IEMs.

To avoid those variations (which distort the audio), you want to plug them into a headphone out with an output impedance that is lower than 1/8th the impedance of the IEMs. With your 32Ω Shures, that would be 32/8=4Ω.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back