JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Dec 14, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #1,696 of 3,417
I currently run the DX50 with the C5, and you can find out what I think of the pairing in my C5 review, which is located in my signature below.
smily_headphones1.gif

As of the X5, we're not tooaurehow that'll turn out, seeing that it has yet to be officially released.

FYI THE X5 is official and on sale in China.  Check it out on the website. :)

http://fiio.net/cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000055517771&MenuID=105026016

Dec 14, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #1,697 of 3,417
Dec 14, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #1,699 of 3,417
BTW i just saw u have a v moda m100 as well :) hws the bass with that and the c5. And btw where did u get your very cool interconnect cable from ? the white one ? between your dx and c5 ?

The bass when the M100 are paired with the C5 with bass boost on...is bass monstrosity at its finest. The entire low frequency has great depth and texture, and hits harder than ever. EDM fan? This combo will make you feel like you got a rave party going off in your head, haha.

The pure silver interconnect that you speak of, was made by this eBay seller (http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/onest11). Great little cable, and all you need to do is shoot him an email/eBay message and tell him what lengths/wires you want in place, and he'll give you a price if he can do it. My friend bought my cable for me, soim not 100% sure what went down between him and the seller, but I'm quite certain what I said above is still valid. :)

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #1,700 of 3,417
Dec 14, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #1,701 of 3,417
Only on the Chinese version of the site.  Click "English" and you'll only see the X3.

and I want one (X5)!  Should pair nicely with the C5.
C5 + X5 = Hi-Res Goodness... do the math :D

CX-5 Combo!

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #1,703 of 3,417
  I was thinking the same.. CX-5 would be delicious !!!

I'm actually thinking about it. I do like the design of the X5 and it's UI. Hopefully it's bug free and doesn't have that warm/bassy sound signature that the FiiO amps had, and it'll win my heart over. 

Dec 15, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #1,705 of 3,417
Thank you for your HP100+C5D impressions. I owned the HP100s but ended up sending them back as I didn't entirely love their sound. I felt they were a little hollow sounding, but I thought it was probably down to lack of proper amping. Do the HP100s sound a little fuller/warmer to you with the C5D? Or did you feel they were full enough before anyway?

Well, on my frist day using the C5D on public transport, I accidentally plugged the HP100 into the headphone jack of my HTC One, and I was only listening to talk radio but then when I put some music on, I noticed a difference in the sound so I switched it over to the C5D output jack and I did notice a shift (for the better) in how the HP100s sound.

That is only based on a couple of minutes of use though, my previous experience with the HP100 was good due to the fact I always used an equalizer.

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #1,706 of 3,417
I currently own a xonar stx and was planning to upgrade to either an odac/o2 or c5d. 

Which do you think is "better"? Here in my country they are priced relatively close. I will be using them for music and some gaming. 

Cans I'll be using Q701 / HE400 / HD598.

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #1,707 of 3,417
I currently own a xonar stx and was planning to upgrade to either an odac/o2 or c5d. 

Which do you think is "better"? Here in my country they are priced relatively close. I will be using them for music and some gaming. 

Cans I'll be using Q701 / HE400 / HD598.

If you are not planning to use it as mobile amp/dac C5D makes sense. But if you will use it exclusively on your desktop O2+DAC will serve you better

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #1,708 of 3,417
If you are not planning to use it as mobile amp/dac C5D makes sense. But if you will use it exclusively on your desktop O2+DAC will serve you better

Now that I think of it, I kinda want to use it for my laptop or ipad at work... Does the odac work on iOS devices? I'm kinda leaning towards the C5D because I don't need to plug the amp to a wall socket, But if the quality of the dac / amp of o2+odac combo is cleaner and better than the C5D, I will go for the o2+odac and just make it my desktop gear at home.

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #1,709 of 3,417

Now that I think of it, I kinda want to use it for my laptop or ipad at work... Does the odac work on iOS devices? I'm kinda leaning towards the C5D because I don't need to plug the amp to a wall socket, But if the quality of the dac / amp of o2+odac combo is cleaner and better than the C5D, I will go for the o2+odac and just make it my desktop gear at home.

The O2 amp overall is better but C5D is not far behind. This is actually what I use most of the time. I have not tried the ODAC. I suppose you are better off with C5D since it's more versatile. Given the C5D's size SQ quality is not night and day.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #1,710 of 3,417
I thought C5 has more basic amplification technique compare to O2. C5 only apply one opamp as a voltage gain, no buffer in the output section, neither buffer in the loop feedback to boost more current.
But C5 has very low distortion PSU, packed in some small footprint design (short signal path), moreover it has no caps on signal path. All effort aim to get precision in SQ, and perhaps avoid mass product dissimilarity. 
So I think the sound of C5 is depend on what opamp used on gain section. Why stuck with op2227? DIYers with average solder technique would challenged to do some rolling opamp, due to dual rail +/-7 volt is more than sufficient to supply a wide range of soic opamp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back