JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Nov 30, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #1,621 of 3,417
Yeah the C5D is more transparent than the E17

Dec 2, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #1,623 of 3,417
hope anyone compare C5D with venturecraft soundroid typhoon, since both have similarity on spec, USB receiver SA9027 and PCM5102 DAC :D 

Dec 2, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #1,624 of 3,417
  Same as all other USB Audio1 DACs. like FiioE18 etc..

I expect it to work with my note2.

Please report if it works with your Note 2, then I can be sure it'll work with my S3.

Dec 2, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #1,625 of 3,417
  Please report if it works with your Note 2, then I can be sure it'll work with my S3.

For that you will have to wait after Xmas. maybe someone else can?

Dec 2, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #1,626 of 3,417
I have an S3 so will report when I get my C5D

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #1,627 of 3,417
Can anyone tell me if plugging speakers like the Audioengine A2's into the headphone output of the C5D would be a good/bad idea? I am looking for a USB DAC and the C5D looks extremely nice, but I need something that can be used with both my headphones and my powered desktop speakers. The C5D doesn't have a line out, so would it be possible to just plug the A2's into the headphone output?

I know this would essentially be amplifying the signal twice (including any noise and distortion introduced in the first stage), but would I actually notice vs. a DAC with a true line out?

Thanks!

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #1,628 of 3,417
Can anyone tell me if plugging speakers like the Audioengine A2's into the headphone output of the C5D would be a good/bad idea? I am looking for a USB DAC and the C5D looks extremely nice, but I need something that can be used with both my headphones and my powered desktop speakers. The C5D doesn't have a line out, so would it be possible to just plug the A2's into the headphone output?

I know this would essentially be amplifying the signal twice (including any noise and distortion introduced in the first stage), but would I actually notice vs. a DAC with a true line out?

Thanks!
I use the c5 with my alesis m1mk2 studio monitors...

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #1,630 of 3,417
  Thanks, that helps. Now someone convince me that the C5D is worth the 3x greater price over the Fiio E10 (the other option I'm looking at).

First of all: I'm a newbie audiophile who just got the C5D as my first dac/amp, take the following first impressions with a grain of salt

Well, simply put: I'm a basshead and the 3 level bass boost really, really helps my Q701 sound a lot better. The amp does exactly what I expected it to do - amplify the sound! :D, also, I've tried the amp with several other (worse) headphones and they all sound much better regarding the amp-only section.

As for the dac, using foobar and WASAPI allowed me to finally use my Q701 on my laptop - something I never did before since it sounded so bad. To make it sound even better, I use EQ (yes, please don't judge me) to further make the sound great for me, and I found myself literally smiling as I was listening through my library.

And maybe something irrelevant, is that the guys over at JDS are great, the support is awesome. I had to change my order, asked lots of questions and was generally just annoying but it was all good ^^

Again, only use my words as a "from a newcomers view", :p

Finally, for those of you who are in the EU - it is actually cheaper to get it directly from JDS, and that is including the import fees, not to mention that the C5D hasn't arrived in the EU yet. Compare to C5 price here
(for some reason the customs let my package slip through, so no fees here at all :D)

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #1,631 of 3,417
HAVE I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE IN C5 ???

Hi, I just purchased a c5 slate after contemplating numerous choices of amps and dacs and a combi of both. I am coming from an E11 which had its headphone jack give me problems and i wasn't 2 happy about its build quality either. I was about to settle for the E07k for its quailty built, price and as well as portability but there was a discount for the c5 at 175usd so i took the plunge instead for that. 

The question is have i made the right choice ??? or will i have buyers remorse ???

I hope i made the right choice! I was also considering the E17, E12, E18.

I have the vmoda m100s and the senn Amperiors. I am currently using android and sansa clip + (and maybe x5 soon). n I'm a closet bass-head i guess.

Thanks.

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #1,632 of 3,417
I just got my C5D after getting a discount from the Black Friday sale. I notice there is no gain selector switch

I assume the gain is automatically selected based on the headphone is this correct?

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #1,633 of 3,417
Push the volume rocker in to change the gain.

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #1,635 of 3,417
HAVE I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE IN C5 ???

Hi, I just purchased a c5 slate after contemplating numerous choices of amps and dacs and a combi of both. I am coming from an E11 which had its headphone jack give me problems and i wasn't 2 happy about its build quality either. I was about to settle for the E07k for its quailty built, price and as well as portability but there was a discount for the c5 at 175usd so i took the plunge instead for that. 

The question is have i made the right choice ??? or will i have buyers remorse ???

I hope i made the right choice! I was also considering the E17, E12, E18.

I have the vmoda m100s and the senn Amperiors. I am currently using android and sansa clip + (and maybe x5 soon). n I'm a closet bass-head i guess.

Thanks.

Considering ostewart's thoughts of the C5 vs E17, my comparisons between the C5 and E12, and Headfonia's general disappointment in the E18, I think the C5 is a good investment in that regard.

I just got my C5D after getting a discount from the Black Friday sale. I notice there is no gain selector switch

I assume the gain is automatically selected based on the headphone is this correct?

The volume adjustor also acts as a switch. You just push it into the C5 to toggle the gain.

[rule]
On a note about Headfonia:
Mike and me don't agree on [the C5D] yet. But Mike has a bad one that was recalled so he's waiting for a new one. Me, I'm waiting for my old C5, to compare it directly to that.

My 1st impr. Better than the C5, more refined, but C421 amp still is king.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back