JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Jan 5, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #3,271 of 3,417
Citation:
Posté par trivium911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Le c5 a plus de pouvoir que le C5D mais de ce que Ive a lu ils sonnent très similair au même.

Ok, thank a lot 
wink.gif

​take the C5, not the C5D finaly 

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #3,274 of 3,417
What is the maximum output power per channel into a 32 load for the c5? 

A little search in this thread or in the JDSLabs spec sheet on their website would have shown you the answer:

1.182 VRMS at 32 Ohm

Cheers,
K

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #3,275 of 3,417

A little search in this thread or in the JDSLabs spec sheet on their website would have shown you the answer:

1.182 VRMS at 32 Ohm

Cheers,

K

That's voltage. You can get close to the power by using P=(V^2)/R, which gives about 44mW. But that's not very accurate because 32ohm is impedance and not resistance. Anyway I can't easily find the power listed anywhere on the web, so I'm not surprised he asked for it here.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #3,276 of 3,417

1.182 VRMS at 32 Ohm

Cheers,

K

That's voltage. You can get close to the power by using P=(V^2)/R, which gives about 44mW. But that's not very accurate because 32ohm is impedance and not resistance. Anyway I can't easily find the power listed anywhere on the web, so I'm not surprised he asked for it here.

What's the margin of error?

There is a great "Search this thread" function. Just searching for "mW" would have given the result - much better than asking the already answered question one more time.

If that's not enough for you why don't you contact JDSLabs support and post the results here?
Cheers,
K

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #3,277 of 3,417

What's the margin of error?

There is a great "Search this thread" function. Just searching for "mW" would have given the result - much better than asking the already answered question one more time.

If that's not enough for you why don't you contact JDSLabs support and post the results here?
Cheers,
K

don't know. i'm an engineer but not an electrical one. the issue is AC vs DC, and the AC equations are more complicated due to the periodic nature of AC. i'm sure i learned all this in school but it's long gone now.

anyway, to Fungus: i can tell you that the C5 effortlessly drives my 300 ohm Senn HD600's, even on low gain, if that helps. otherwise if you really need to know i'd contact JDSL and ask them directly.

Jan 23, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #3,279 of 3,417
wow 43.66mW is extremely low even compared to most phones. Most portable amps have an output power above 300mW at 32ohm. 

Yes, you are right. It's very low. However since the amp itself is done so well, I was very surprised of how good it drove some bigger cans. Power is not everything. But it's clearly aimed at IEMs and excels with them.

Cheers,
K

Jan 28, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #3,283 of 3,417
I've had my C5D with Dunu dn-2000 for like 18 months and just sold it minutes ago. realised i love it and never posted in this thread.

The C5D might have been my single biggest step up in my high-fi world. had dn-900 with i-pod g7, then dn-2000, then got the C5D. Man did that make all the difference, first time having a solid chain from source to ear. After that ive got theHE-500 driven with a low end speaker amp headphone jack, which was OK but lacked some clarrity and treble that the portable rig had. serious amp (NFB-28) was almost as big of an upgrade as first getting the C5D. Just got LCD-3f which i love, but with diminishing are steep and they're not THAT much better then my he-500's.

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #3,284 of 3,417
  The amp section in the cayin c5dac is different than the cayin c5, has significantly lower output power whist the jds c5d has the same amp found in the jds c5.  

Dude, you really need to stop talking about things you have no experience with. My experience is the cayin c5 and cayin c5dac are basically equal on the volume level with my alpha primes. Cayin must be under reporting the power capabilities of the c5dac.

Not everything sounds like paper suggests it will. Real world listening experience is required.

Jan 30, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #3,285 of 3,417
Hi,
I'm a new joiner here and wonder whether my setup is right. Got the C5D a few days ago. First amp DAC I've ever owned.
Keep it short : installed foobar2000 a long time ago, it's up to date. Now added the ASIO drivers. Plus the plugin. Did whatever tweaks forums recommend to get a bit perfect stream down to the DAC.
It does work, other applications don't produce any sound for instance (ASIO graps full control over audio, I gathered).

I've 2 questions:
- I read the Window 7 volume control was de activated in normal configuration but this isn't the case on my rig. So is this right ? I get pure digital output shouldn't be controlled on its 'volume' unless the digital format can carry a dB adjustment ???
- how can I know what is indeed passed down to the DAC ? I mean what do the figures foobar reports mean, the 'intrinsics' of the file read, or the stream sent to the DAC (that may have gone through windows horrid degradations ?)
I want to be sure the bit perfect stream is  indeed used.

Now, it sounds great but I can't tell how much great it sounds yet :wink:

Cheers all !

Christophe, Paris area, France.

PS: I use a Sennheiser HD25-1 mkII for commute, and an AKG Q701 here at home. Always was disappointed with the latter, but I have high hopes with my C5D... targetting a very different 'sound signature' soon with a Grado SR325e though (strings sound amazing, and being kind of 'projected' into the music is feeling real good :D !)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back