JDS Labs C421 or Fiio E11 with m-100 ... Need Help !!!
Nov 15, 2012 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Caesar7

New Head-Fier
I narrowed down my choices to these amps (JDS Labs C421 and Fiio E11) ... the iPhone is my source of playing music ... Are the differences are noticeable ... I want to use it on-the-go ... I know the prices are very different but does the C421 worth the investment  ... sorry for being noob guys :) 

Nov 16, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 28
I first purchased the E11 to determine if the venture into a portable headphone amp would be worthwhile. The E11 made a huge difference in the sound as opposed to the stand alone iPod/iPhone. For the price it's pretty hard to beat.

Next came the CmoyBB, and yes, I noticed a difference. The sound is cleaner and tighter, and it's dead silent. Should have stopped there but the C421 will be delivered in a day or two. We shall see where it falls in the progression:) Not a total answer to your question, but hope it helps!

You'll also want a LOD. Fiio males a couple that work great for whatever setup you go with.

Cheers!

Nov 17, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 28
Quote:
I first purchased the E11 to determine if the venture into a portable headphone amp would be worthwhile. The E11 made a huge difference in the sound as opposed to the stand alone iPod/iPhone. For the price it's pretty hard to beat.
Next came the CmoyBB, and yes, I noticed a difference. The sound is cleaner and tighter, and it's dead silent. Should have stopped there but the C421 will be delivered in a day or two. We shall see where it falls in the progression:) Not a total answer to your question, but hope it helps!
You'll also want a LOD. Fiio males a couple that work great for whatever setup you go with.
Cheers!

yea thats definitely adds up ... so i'll be waiting for your delivery as well :wink: ... what do you mean by LOD sorry am not familiar with these terms if its a connector why would I need it .. my source will the iPhone 5 ... if its not would you suggest what kind of LOD and where to get it and how it works sorry for asking too much .. I  really appreciate your help bro  :)

Nov 18, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #4 of 28
First, your are not asking too much, what I write is only my option, but I happy to share it with you. The 421 came today and all I can say is WOW. Listening to it as I write this and I am hoping tonight never ends! Great amp, GREATER AMP COMPANY! I ordered this thing late Thursday, it was here today (Saturday) before noon, at USPS Priotity rate!!! Awesome!!!

So, for the amp. Depends on what your driving as far as headphones. For something like Grado 80's the Fiio 11 or JDS CmoyBB will make you smile. I have Grado 80's, Sennheiser 25-1-II's, and Sennheiser 650's. If I was gonna stay with the HD-25's or Grados, I would love the Fiio, or the CmoyBB even more. But to be happy with all three, it's the 421 , the other two amps just don't drive the 650's to the level I want.

Of course, theses are my opinions, based on my headphones and the type of music I enjoy. If your looking for head pounding, window rattling bass, none of these may be what will rattle your cage. For me, all three put a smile on my face. If you can afford the 421, go for it, it's the best of the three because of it's ability to be more versiable. The CmoyBB would be my second choice, very clean sound, third is the Fiio 11, great amp for the price and I'll probably keep mine as a back up. I'm giving the CmoyBB to my son. Bottom like, I like all three, but I'm keeping the 421 for me:). If I wasen't trying to drive the 650's I'd be very happy with the CmoyBB, it's a very clean sounding amp.

As far as LOD, it stands for Line Out Dock. It plugs into the bottom of your Apple device, just like the charger. It bypasses the devices amp, and gives you the cleanest signal into your amp. If you came directly out of the headphone jack, you'd be feeding an amped signal into an amp, YUCK!

For the Fiio 11 and the 421 I like the Fiio L-9, for the JDS Cmoy I prefer the Fiio L-3. Both can be purchased thru JDS, or for a couple of bucks less, Amazon. The 11 has a 90 degree line in plug, the L-3 a 180 (straight). Look at the volume knob on each amp and you'll see the choice that works for you.

Also, with the CmoyBB you may want to go with rechargeable 9 volt batteries, so by the time you upgrade, buy a charger cable, and the LOD, your at 100 bucks. So, Fiio 11 and LOD, around 65 bucks, CmoyBB 100 + bucks, C421, 180 +.

Your call, all will put a smile on your face, still lov'n the 421 as I write this.

However you go, enjoy!

Nov 18, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:
First, your are not asking too much, what I write is only my option, but I happy to share it with you. The 421 came today and all I can say is WOW. Listening to it as I write this and I am hoping tonight never ends! Great amp, GREATER AMP COMPANY! I ordered this thing late Thursday, it was here today (Saturday) before noon, at USPS Priotity rate!!! Awesome!!!
So, for the amp. Depends on what your driving as far as headphones. For something like Grado 80's the Fiio 11 or JDS CmoyBB will make you smile. I have Grado 80's, Sennheiser 25-1-II's, and Sennheiser 650's. If I was gonna stay with the HD-25's or Grados, I would love the Fiio, or the CmoyBB even more. But to be happy with all three, it's the 421 , the other two amps just don't drive the 650's to the level I want.
Of course, theses are my opinions, based on my headphones and the type of music I enjoy. If your looking for head pounding, window rattling bass, none of these may be what will rattle your cage. For me, all three put a smile on my face. If you can afford the 421, go for it, it's the best of the three because of it's ability to be more versiable. The CmoyBB would be my second choice, very clean sound, third is the Fiio 11, great amp for the price and I'll probably keep mine as a back up. I'm giving the CmoyBB to my son. Bottom like, I like all three, but I'm keeping the 421 for me:). If I wasen't trying to drive the 650's I'd be very happy with the CmoyBB, it's a very clean sounding amp.
As far as LOD, it stands for Line Out Dock. It plugs into the bottom of your Apple device, just like the charger. It bypasses the devices amp, and gives you the cleanest signal into your amp. If you came directly out of the headphone jack, you'd be feeding an amped signal into an amp, YUCK!
For the Fiio 11 and the 421 I like the Fiio L-9, for the JDS Cmoy I prefer the Fiio L-3. Both can be purchased thru JDS, or for a couple of bucks less, Amazon. The 11 has a 90 degree line in plug, the L-3 a 180 (straight). Look at the volume knob on each amp and you'll see the choice that works for you.
Also, with the CmoyBB you may want to go with rechargeable 9 volt batteries, so by the time you upgrade, buy a charger cable, and the LOD, your at 100 bucks. So, Fiio 11 and LOD, around 65 bucks, CmoyBB 100 + bucks, C421, 180 +.
Your call, all will put a smile on your face, still lov'n the 421 as I write this.
However you go, enjoy!

First , thanks for your feedback I really appreciate it .. till now the C421 is my superior choice and I think it would be a waste of time and money starting by E11 and go up to C421 ... I think I should get it directly ... another thing is there are some people here suggesting that I should wait till Fiio E12 comes out so I can fairly compare it to the C421 since the E12 are targeted to the area the C421 sits in ... Thanks bro and enjoy the C421 to the maaaaaax  
gs1000.gif

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #6 of 28
I'm not sure if this happens to other people, but my E11 has awful shielding from radio waves. My phone constantly transfer data and such because of whatsapp, facebook, twitter, etc, so there is that annoying "tet tettt tetettt tettt tetettt tettt tetettt" almost all the time. This interference is too much for me because the S500 is a very sensitive pair of cans.

If this happens to other people then you might want to hold your purchase unless you're using a different music player.

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:
I'm not sure if this happens to other people, but my E11 has awful shielding from radio waves. My phone constantly transfer data and such because of whatsapp, facebook, twitter, etc, so there is that annoying "tet tettt tetettt tettt tetettt tettt tetettt" almost all the time. This interference is too much for me because the S500 is a very sensitive pair of cans.

If this happens to other people then you might want to hold your purchase unless you're using a different music player.

It is not only you,many of the amp have this issue,very annoying,my O2 amp dont really have this sound

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Anyway it is named 'interference' ,just know it is you penmarker ==

Nov 18, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

It is not only you,many of the amp have this issue,very annoying,my O2 amp dont really have this sound

I've heard many things that make O2 one of the best .. but again its not portable ... any suggestions (getting an mp3 player for example)  :)  

Quote:

So I think it is better to get an mp3 player instead of using the iPhone but you know the problem is it would be so massy when you carry many things around (iPhone+mp3 player+Amp) ... that does not fit into on-the-go category that Am looking for .. what to do .. I don't know  :)

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #10 of 28
First , thanks for your feedback I really appreciate it .. till now the C421 is my superior choice and I think it would be a waste of time and money starting by E11 and go up to C421 ... I think I should get it directly ... another thing is there are some people here suggesting that I should wait till Fiio E12 comes out so I can fairly compare it to the C421 since the E12 are targeted to the area the C421 sits in ... Thanks bro and enjoy the C421 to the maaaaaax  :gs1000smile:

Is the C421 really that good of an amp to start out directly at sub-$200 versus barely hitting the $60 border? In other words is the nearly $100 difference in costs really worth the initial upgrade?

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:
Is the C421 really that good of an amp to start out directly at sub-$200 versus barely hitting the $60 border? In other words is the nearly $100 difference in costs really worth the initial upgrade?

Thats why Am asking because I don't have the C421 and I hope to get it soon so I can give you my feedback ...but from what I heard and read it is a great investment ... another thing is Fiio e12 is about to be released so lets wait and see :wink:

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #12 of 28
I have the same issue as penmarker with my E11.

No issues at all with any of the JDS Labs products, and I now own them all:) Nothing but praise for John and JDS Labs. Best customer service, lighting fast shipping, and you'll be hard pressed to find anything that can compete in the price range. If you want portable and can afford it get the C421.

The Objective2 is outstanding, but a bit too big to cart around in a pocket.

For me, the C421 and O2 are keepers, and, the search is over, at least for now...

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:
I have the same issue as penmarker with my E11.
No issues at all with any of the JDS Labs products, and I now own them all:) Nothing but praise for John and JDS Labs. Best customer service, lighting fast shipping, and you'll be hard pressed to find anything that can compete in the price range. If you want portable and can afford it get the C421.
The Objective2 is outstanding, but a bit too big to cart around in a pocket.
For me, the C421 and O2 are keepers, and, the search is over, at least for now...

Thanks for your useful inputs .. ma maaaaan 
atsmile.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #14 of 28
I also have the C421 and O2 both are keepers, get the C421 AD8620 if you can afford it, you even get free custom engraving

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:
I also have the C421 and O2 both are keepers, get the C421 AD8620 if you can afford it, you even get free custom engraving

what AD8620 ... sorry am not familiar with these terms ... Am new in headphone amps 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back