JDS Labs Atom 2
Jan 18, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #16 of 26
Some people just need a DAC or an amp, they don't need an all-in-one like the Element III. The EL DAC has balanced TRS outputs as an option and has coax digital in. So more features than the Atom DAC 2. The Element/EL line consisted of metal construction as well for the longest time where as the Atom was only plastic construction. So more features and better materials.

I do run an Element III MK2 myself as I prefer all-in-one units.
I too would prefer an all in one but the price difference is substantial.

Feb 12, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #20 of 26
I had a chance to compare Atom DAC 2 and Atom Amp 2 separately with far more expensive units from various other manufacturers. As far as core performance is concerned, Atom DAC 2 is as good as any other DAC I tried irrespective of price. Atom Amp 2 has its own sound signature, but to my ears it is at least as good as the best I heard and better than most. The ergonomics are great and the after sale service is quite simply in its own class. The value proposition is just incredible. Element III is also great but since I don't do DSP, it would be an overkill for me.

Feb 12, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #21 of 26
I had a chance to compare Atom DAC 2 and Atom Amp 2 separately with far more expensive units from various other manufacturers. As far as core performance is concerned, Atom DAC 2 is as good as any other DAC I tried irrespective of price. Atom Amp 2 has its own sound signature, but to my ears it is at least as good as the best I heard and better than most. The ergonomics are great and the after sale service is quite simply in its own class. The value proposition is just incredible. Element III is also great but since I don't do DSP, it would be an overkill for me.
Can you elaborate how exactly you quantify this? Examples. Your headphones. Comparisons. Your other amplifiers. As is it just reads like either an advert or fanboy post. Thank you.

No offence meant.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #22 of 26
Can you elaborate how exactly you quantify this? Examples. Your headphones. Comparisons. Your other amplifiers. As is it just reads like either an advert or fanboy post. Thank you.

No offence meant.
None taken, although I guess I am a fan boy as after months of trying different Dacs and amps. I found exactly what I needed. My main headphones are Sennheiser HD800s, although I also have other Sennheisers, Aeon Noire, and Hifiman XS. I tried various DACs and Amps from Topping, SMSL, Schiit, couple of others; Chord Mojo 2 as well. I listened to Tidal music and movies via optical from my lg oled tv. I also did blind testing with my son. The only other amp I liked was Drop Thx One. I also liked Schiit Vali hybrid as an alternative sound, so I will probably try more tube in the future. But for now I returned or am selling all the other DACs and Amps, and will keep the Atom 2 Stack as reference.

Keep in mind that my perspective is one of looking at broad strokes comparison, clear differences, not something super nuanced. I am looking for robust units 'for all seasons', not specialized pairings aimed at specific genres or matching specific headphones. That's just my approach, so take it just for what it is.

Feb 12, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #23 of 26
The ergonomics are great and the after sale service is quite simply in its own class. The value proposition is just incredible. Element III is also great but since I don't do DSP, it would be an overkill for me.

This part in bold cannot be overstated. I had an issue (a few actually) that JDS Labs went above and beyond to make right. I'm not going to air out the details, but rest assured that if you have any issues, they will take care of it.

I have an Element III Mk2, and it's a fantastic unit. It doesn't get as much use as my main setup, but I still like it. And my original Atom amp from when I first started this journey is still going strong many years later.

Feb 13, 2024 at 2:01 AM Post #24 of 26
None taken, although I guess I am a fan boy as after months of trying different Dacs and amps. I found exactly what I needed. My main headphones are Sennheiser HD800s, although I also have other Sennheisers, Aeon Noire, and Hifiman XS. I tried various DACs and Amps from Topping, SMSL, Schiit, couple of others; Chord Mojo 2 as well. I listened to Tidal music and movies via optical from my lg oled tv. I also did blind testing with my son. The only other amp I liked was Drop Thx One. I also liked Schiit Vali hybrid as an alternative sound, so I will probably try more tube in the future. But for now I returned or am selling all the other DACs and Amps, and will keep the Atom 2 Stack as reference.

Keep in mind that my perspective is one of looking at broad strokes comparison, clear differences, not something super nuanced. I am looking for robust units 'for all seasons', not specialized pairings aimed at specific genres or matching specific headphones. That's just my approach, so take it just for what it is.
That is a good endorsement, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back