JBM earphones
May 30, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #31 of 36
Well, this is obviously very late but maybe someone will benefit from it. I've been on an ebay buying binge for a couple of months and spent a lot more than I intended to but...

I fell in love with Awei ES-600's and the 800's cannot hold a candle to them. Recently I got a pair of wooden ES-Q5's and thought they were pretty much the top value. But today I received two pairs of JBM MJ800's and I'm a convert. I don't know how they did it but these things are at least 6 db more sensitive than the Awei's with no sacrifice in bass or listenability. And I've been listening to them for hours without fatigue.

May 30, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #32 of 36
Well, this is obviously very late but maybe someone will benefit from it. I've been on an ebay buying binge for a couple of months and spent a lot more than I intended to but...

I fell in love with Awei ES-600's and the 800's cannot hold a candle to them. Recently I got a pair of wooden ES-Q5's and thought they were pretty much the top value. But today I received two pairs of JBM MJ800's and I'm a convert. I don't know how they did it but these things are at least 6 db more sensitive than the Awei's with no sacrifice in bass or listenability. And I've been listening to them for hours without fatigue.

Well done n welcome...ahem ....JBM is pretty good ..hell yeah ....for the past two weeks ..me bought two model off eBay ie. MJ8600 and MJ8500 and just receivd the the former ...man it is quite treble happy ..revealing. So offthey go my burn station...has tame down a bit ...so continue burning.

But my fav is JBM MJ100....

For all its worth ...the price ...wwwwwoooooooo hooooo

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #33 of 36
Hey, I goofed. It wasn't the JBM800's that I bought but the 8600's. But my 2 pairs are not trebly at all, they are too heavy in the upper bass and they muddy radio announcers voices. The overall sound is smooth and transparent but too muddy. However...

That's how they are when you first get them. If you are smart, you'll download a tone generator and burn them in for a couple of nights. I set them at 25hz at a good volume and just leave them... last night after doing this for only one night I was listening to them and they were opening up and extending before my eyes, it was incredible! Every second they got better and better just as if someone was slowly turning up an "open" control.

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #34 of 36
I'm a musician accustomed to the sound of a Steinway or Bosendorfer piano.  So the piano is my first test, leading me to instantly toss 50% of the cheap earphones I come by. If the phones pass the piano test, I go to a piano trio, then to Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" (the first track, "So What," is an excellent test). and from there to symphonic music and finally the male and female singing voice.  Few phones pass all of my tests--especially the no-brand phones and the new brands.

I must say that JBM is a pleasant surprise.  Because of their light weight and plastic construction I expected the JBM MJ720 phones to be losers.  But they're good as well, though I prefer the 700, 800 and 900 phones reviewed at the beginning of this thread. Still, even the JBM MJ100 phones are "acceptable."  It's not simply a matter of producing a wide range--it's a matter of phones that capture the original sound source accurately, naturally, realistically--the instrument as it sounds "in nature," with all of its overtones, harmonic series, ambiance intact.

I'd like to see a reviewer place JBM phones in the ranking that the company has in mind--I can't read Chinese words or prices.  This is the site that carries their line along with the monetary value they attach to each.  http://www.360doudou.com

Be suspicious of phones that carry the JBM initials but not the right numbers for the phones.  I can attest that MJ8500 phones by JBM sound good.  For the JBM MJ100 you should never pay more than $5 (American), and you should expect a hard shell case along with 4-5 extra tips.  The most I've spent on a pair (postage included) is $15 for the MJ900.

One strange mistake you're likely to find on the thin cardboard boxes of JBM phones is this one: The company obviously doesn't know what a "right angle plug" is.  Every box advertises a right angle connector and explains how it will "hug your music player" more closely.  But the illustration is of a "straight plug" and NOT a right-angle plug.  Also, I have never found a right angle inside any JBM box.

So the "finish," or quality control, is not a strong point of these phones.  Packaging and "presentation" are pretty weak, but the phones usual makei up for it, sounding better than many phones costing over $50.

Oct 15, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #35 of 36
Beside characterizing a straight plug as a right angle plug (I've never found one with JBM phones), JBM also tends to omit accurate numbers on the phones themselves as well as designations for right and left channels (my MJ900 had no "L" and "R" marking whatsoever).  Because of the quality of the sound and the low price, it's easy to forgive these omissions and peculiarities.

Mar 28, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #36 of 36
Any newer models?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back