JBL Reference 220 IEMs - initial impression with pics
Feb 21, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #47 of 102
I got in on this deal and regret it, the earphones are pretty crappy.

JBL spent more on packaging and accessories than the R&D required to make good earphones. The highs are too sharp and bright (I like them to blend in, not stand out like someones banging a symbol constantly). The mid range is probably the best part of them but still not that impressive. The bass is just lacking, I don't know what all those reviews were talking about when they said these earphones had a lot of bass. I tried tons of different equalizer settings and compared them to the Sony earphones that came with my Sony Ericsson W810i (cell phone w/built in mp3 player) and the JBLs don't even come close. I tried the earphones in my mp3 player and my laptop and the Sony's sounded much better in both cases.

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #48 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by dayne411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

JBL spent more on packaging and accessories than the R&D required to make good earphones. The highs are too sharp and bright (I like them to blend in, not stand out like someones banging a symbol constantly). The mid range is probably the best part of them but still not that impressive. The bass is just lacking, I don't know what all those reviews were talking about when they said these earphones had a lot of bass. I tried tons of different equalizer settings and compared them to the Sony earphones that came with my Sony Ericsson W810i (cell phone w/built in mp3 player) and the JBLs don't even come close. I tried the earphones in my mp3 player and my laptop and the Sony's sounded much better in both cases.

to each his own but i couldn't disagree with you more. sounds like you're not getting a good seal.

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #49 of 102
Mine came in the mail today. I love the fabric cord, even earbud cord lengths, and perfect overall length of the cord. The extras like the case, bud tips, and adapters, are a great bonus for getting em for $36 bucks. I'll definitely take these with me for any kind of portable use.

It's still too early to judge how they sound but I've definitely noticed that they favor the highs. I used the largest rubber tips to get a bit of a seal, but any ideas how to get a better seal on these (does anyone use rubber tips from other IEMs)? It seems I have to play around a lot with the position to get decent bass. If you don't put them in all the way, or if you put them in too deep, there won't be any bass. So far, the best way is pushing them deep in your ear canal, and then pulling em out just a tad to get
basshead.gif

So far, I like the overall sound over what I at least remember of my EX71SL and MD33.

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #50 of 102
Quote:

Did you put any of the tips on? lol

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #51 of 102
Just received mine from $30 Friday stapes sale.
Wow, these little buggers despite their size sound surprisingly good out of DA100 paired with GS-1.
Still burning them in.

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #52 of 102
One more thing I noticed about this earphone,
it has less sensitivity than my other earphones. only 96dB.
I had to increase volume to get enough volume to enjoy,
I thought it has impedence like 64ohms or something before I looked up the spec.

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #53 of 102
Quote:

I have to jump on the bandwagon and say that you're probably not getting a good seal. Or your pair is defective, either/or. I listen to mainly hip hop and think the bass is great, much better than my 555s (only pair I have to compare).

dmunky:
I use the small black tips from a pair of Shure E2c (that I sold after getting these). I don't pull my pair out getting my seal, for what it's worth.

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #54 of 102
I got the staples deal for $33 and here are some impressions after 20 hour burn-in.

Out of my DAP, I have mixed feelings about the sound though they really do everything pretty well. Detail is really good though not quite at IEM level. Highs are there and not recessed, mids are just nice without being pushed forward and there is a good quantity of bass to make these buds sound quite fun. The only thing that might kill the deal for some people is the mid-bass bias. In some musical pieces, the mid-bass could be a bit overpowering and muddy. Burn-in helped corrected this, but it seems that it was JBL's intention to make it sound like this. The bass does not extend very deep and could have been tighter. Isolation is good for earbuds but nowhere near IEMs. All in all they offer good sound (warm, fun, without piercing trebles) that you can easily listen to for long listening sessions. They are very comfortable to wear too, though microphonics is quite bad unless you wear it over the ear.

As warrior05 said, JBL did a really nice packaging job and included some useful accessories like airline adapter and carrying case. Build quality of these headphones are very good, hard shiny plastic with a cool fabric cord. For the accessories, build quality, and the sound they offer, they are a very good value at their market price ($55), definitely better than the ep630. However, if a mid-bass bump is a no-no for you, I recommend getting closed headphones or more high-end IEMs like E4c, sf5pro, or ER4.

Feb 21, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #55 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by glac1er /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the staples deal for $33 and here are some impressions after 20 hour burn-in.

Out of my DAP, I have mixed feelings about the sound though they really do everything pretty well. Detail is really good though not quite at IEM level..

What type of IEMs were you comparing them to here? E4c/ER4 or the lesser ER6s/Super Fi.3s?

Feb 22, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #57 of 102
omg.. today I experienced very annoying sound with JBL 220.
It was first official NYC subway trip with my sansa + JBL 220 combination.
I was using mid size plug when I was leaving my home.

Few minutes later, I discovered the music irritating me with harsh high.
It was quite harsh so I wanted to take out the earbud and put it away.
But I thought I'm not getting enough 'seal', so I decided to change plug to big size.
But the problem isn't fixed and I was getting same harsh sounds coming out from the earphone.
I tried to fix it by adjusting eq of my player.
But I kept getting that sound even high freq was like -12.

Maybe it's my player making that sound, but I didn't have that problem with any earphone or headphone.

On the way to come home, I had to listen mx90 instead of 220.
It was quite unhappy.

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #60 of 102
Just wanted to add that after I dug up the tips from the Sharp MD33 and put em on the JBL 220s, I no longer had any issues with the bass disappearing. They appear to be the same exact size but for some reason I get a much better seal without having to waste time trying different positions. I am now very very happy with these phones!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back