JBL Reference 220 IEMs - initial impression with pics
Mar 22, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #61 of 102
Should have posted this in this thread instead of starting a new one:

Finally took delivery of the 220s. Right off the bat I'm pretty scared
rolleyes.gif
. They are very tinny. I'm no basshead, in fact I think my fathers 501s have plenty bass, but these are lacking. Are these going mellow and warm up noticeably?

I read through some of the threads but I'm still apprehensive. I really hope they work out (I'm comparing them to my CX300s) as I much prefer the cord even if I wish they had a 90 plug instead of the straight (I thought for some reason they were supposed to be 90s).

And yes, I have a good seal
icon10.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #62 of 102
I found that even with a good seal that by going up to the next larger size the bass improves and they also need 50 plus hours of burning in to sound ok. They do have a great cord and case. I find the case very good for carrying around a T1 amp and three other types of ear monitors.

Apr 3, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #64 of 102
The first time I tried them on, I was struggling to get a good fit. The tips that are included seem to be too soft and sticky. I can't seem to push it in my ear correctly because I feel they get um... squished. But this was a good thing because I discovered the sweet spot on how to put them in. Music was gooooood. But still, I would want a tip firm enough, with a longer shaft, so that I could just put 'em in and voila, instant seal.

I tried the tips I was accustomed to (Sony Ericsson W810-bundled in-ears), but the shaft of the sleeve that latches to the tip of the earphone is quite short! I can't get a good seal with those cause it doesn't go far enough.

Any suggestions?

Also, what's the deal with the foamies? They're rock solid! It's quite unusable for me. Has anyone tried to modify theirs? maybe taking the foam out and putting in a better one?

Apr 3, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #65 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by sexywexy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first time I tried them on, I was struggling to get a good fit. The tips that are included seem to be too soft and sticky. I can't seem to push it in my ear correctly because I feel they get um... squished. But this was a good thing because I discovered the sweet spot on how to put them in. Music was gooooood. But still, I would want a tip firm enough, with a longer shaft, so that I could just put 'em in and voila, instant seal.

I tried the tips I was accustomed to (Sony Ericsson W810-bundled in-ears), but the shaft of the sleeve that latches to the tip of the earphone is quite short! I can't get a good seal with those cause it doesn't go far enough.

Any suggestions?

Also, what's the deal with the foamies? They're rock solid! It's quite unusable for me. Has anyone tried to modify theirs? maybe taking the foam out and putting in a better one?

I like the Shure E2 tips on the JBLs. I like the ultra soft-flex medium tips the best, and the foamies next best. They are a little harder to get on the stem, but they do fit. Shure makes better quality tips than those that come with the JBLs.

Apr 3, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #70 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. I found Sennheiser's tips give me that magical fit. I ordered a 10 pack of mediums so now I'm set with my 220s and C350Ks.

Sounds great, I'll keep checking the mail 'cause I know you're sending me some.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried the ear clips or the "chin strap"? They are the most worthless accessories I've ever seen.

Well at least they tried. Most IEM's don't come with anything like that. I thought the airline adaptor was a nice addition though.

Apr 3, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #71 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well at least they tried. Most IEM's don't come with anything like that. I thought the airline adaptor was a nice addition though.

Yeah, the ear clips are a good idea, but they just don't work. Wearing them with the cord over my ear essentially does what the ear clips are intended to do, and they fit my ear better as well.

Apr 3, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #72 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. I found Sennheiser's tips give me that magical fit. I ordered a 10 pack of mediums so now I'm set with my 220s and C350Ks.

where would be the best place to order the sennheiser tips? directly from them?

thanks.

Apr 6, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #74 of 102
I wanted to try foamies but since the one bundled in isn't very good, I made one myself. I got the plastic core out of the bundled foamies and put it in a pair of old (unused) earplugs. I made the holes by punching a metal tube (ballpen shaft) through the foams.

DSC00501.jpg

Sound is great, comfort is better and snug, looks are questionable. Did I mention the sound was great?

Anyone try the shure black foamies? I'm really curious with how they perform. My guess is they slip out because of the smooth surface. But thats just speculation.

Apr 6, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #75 of 102
I've got the Shure black foamies on my 220's. (and my JVC Marshmallows, too) I like foamies much better than silicone tips. Not exactly a direct replacement but I got them to fit without too much trouble. I can post specifics if anyone's interested.

plugsinstalled.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back