Jazz...
Aug 17, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #46 of 95
Bigshot - this is for you: I went back and read your list and this came to mind - a classic scene from Blazing Saddles with Count Basie that Mel Brooks crowbarred into the movie.

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #48 of 95
Quote:
Fizzled out because few were interested. Sometimes I think people like equipment more than music.

Not so much that but people tend to be more interested in music that may have been made during their lifetime.

Pat Metheny's "Unity Band" should sweep album of the year awards.  Any doubts, just listen.  Ben Williams on bass could be the only weak link but I say that very tongue and cheek,  These guys gel amazingly!

Aug 18, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #50 of 95
John Coltrane with Johnny Hartman. His voice is like buttah.

Aug 18, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #51 of 95
Ah man, Django. How did I leave him off my list.

Sound quality is definitely a complicating factor in the enjoyment of the older recordings. However, some of the transfer techniques for old 78s are getting pretty incredible. The latest reissue of the Robert Johnson material is stunning given how old it is and how poor the sound of his recordings have historically been. I don't know if they've been able to use the same techniques with any of the older Jazz recordings. 

Quote:
I think maybe sound quality issues turn some off from the early days of jazz, too. I, however, think that's part of the appeal - Django just wouldn't sound like Django without a little hissing and popping in the background....

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #53 of 95
Aug 18, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #55 of 95
Quote:

The Man person that comes to mind is Bobby McFerrin he does some awsome things with his voice.

Don't worry, be happy. Love that song!

Aug 18, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #56 of 95
I'm talking about really old recordings from the 20s and 30s. Those recordings were generally recorded directly to disk and that disk was used to make the stampers for the 78s. Most modern copies of this music were made by playing and recording the 78s which in many cases aren't exactly pristine. For the latest transfers of the Robert Johnson material they basically stamped new 78s to record. The results are absolutely fascinating. I would love to hear some of the Jazz from that era transferred with the same care.

Quote:
I actually prefer the sound of older recordings to most new recordings or remasters. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #57 of 95
They use a V shaped stylus to play the stamper itself, which is a negative of the record- raised grooves, not indented. Most major label jazz reissues are made from stampers too. Sometimes that gives better sound, sometimes not. It depends on the condition of the elements.

Aug 18, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #58 of 95
For the Robert Johnson centennial edition, for the tracks where they could find original metal, my understanding is they pressed polystrene copies from the stampers and then transferred from those. Those transfers are vastly superior to any of the earlier CD editions or any of the other tracks for which the original stampers no longer exist. I was skeptical of yet another Robert Johnson set but the improvement was substantial and musically significant. All the Jazz I have from that era sounds much more like the earlier issues of this material. 

Quote:
They use a V shaped stylus to play the stamper itself, which is a negative of the record- raised grooves, not indented. Most major label jazz reissues are made from stampers too. Sometimes that gives better sound, sometimes not. It depends on the condition of the elements.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #59 of 95
Listeining to Nintey Miles right now - man does Christian Scott blow a mean trumpet! Excellent Cuban-American jazz for those interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back