Jazz...
Aug 17, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #31 of 95
Quote:
I usually listen to jazz through my GR07.

This is what's in my ears right now...love this album:

Love it too! Mingus is probably my favorite jazz composer. He was a perfect mix of traditional, experimental, and playfulness. 

I'm listening to Complete Communion by Don Cherry right now. Some people might think it is out there, but I think it flows nicely with nothing too jarring going on. It sounds completely tame next to something like Sunny Murray's album on ESP from 1966. 

Aug 17, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #32 of 95
I'm a huge Jazz fan. I try to listen to more newer releases than older stuff but it's good all the way back to the beginning. I'm particularly fond of Jazz guitar and organ.

Some favorites

Older
Grant Green
Herb Ellis
Barney Kessel
Kenny Burrell
Gene Harris
Hank Mobley
Jackie McLean
Jimmy Smith
Lee Morgan
Dexter Gordon
Bill Evans

Newer 
Julian Lage
Kurt Rosenwinkel
Marc Ribot
Nik Bartsch's Ronin
Hiromi
Medeski, Martin and Wood
Marcin Wasilewski
Colin Valon
Tord Gustavsen
Matthew Shipp
Joey DeFrancesco
Bar Kokhba Sextet

Older guys still cranking out great new stuff
Charles Lloyd
Dr. Lonnie Smith
Tomasz Stanko
John Scofield
Keith Jarrett
Pat Martino

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #33 of 95
Glad to see a lot of mentions of Bill Evans...he's a favorite of mine for quiet afternoons at home...

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #34 of 95

I have been happily loathing Jazz for years and years. I hope to continue. Threads like these help the process.

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #35 of 95
Quote:

I have been happily loathing Jazz for years and years. I hope to continue. Threads like these help the process.

What is that?  It made no sense to me.  I think that is one genre I can definitely skip.  Well, if nothing... at least I know I can listen to it with my cheap gear... 'cause I doubt It'd sound better with good gear.

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #36 of 95
You'd better skip Sun Ra's Atlantis then :)...

There was a period where the worlds of rock and jazz started to overlap, with some fascinating results...Miles Davis' Bitches Brew was considered a seminal work in the new genre that this birthed called Fusion...other artists tied into this movement? Santana for one, John Zorn is another, Herbie Hancock got mixed up in it too, bu he started to sound more like Funk than anything else...

Its definitely not Jazz as we know it, but its incredible nonetheless, and was a incubator for some amazingly creative and zany acts and musicians.

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #37 of 95
Quote:
You'd better skip Sun Ra's Atlantis then :)...

You were right... tried it on YouTube... I'll stay away.  Though, Fusion Jazz and Funk Jazz are nice.  I like those!  I think I'm more into that, than traditional Jazz.  Though, I like all types.  Just nice that we all have different tastes, and you really don't know what you like till you hear some of it.  So, maybe my previous statement about what Redcarmoose posted was uncalled for... and I'll keep my mouth shut and ears open from now on.  I'll vote with my wallet and not my opinion. 
beyersmile.png

BTW: Just hit up some George Duke on YouTube... was listening to his "Chillin" song... Great stuff!

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #38 of 95
Quote:
I'm a huge Jazz fan. I try to listen to more newer releases than older stuff but it's good all the way back to the beginning.

Awesome!! It seems like a lot of jazz threads only focus on the 1930s-1960s. Don't get me wrong, I love the classics - Mingus, Miles, Brubeck, Rollins, Blakey, Shorter, etc....., but there is a HUGE talent pool of contemporary jazz artists making killer jazz today. Go checkout some artists, buy their CDs, and support jazz.

Anyway, here are some recommendations for anyone looking for some modern jazz:

Trumpeters:
Dave Douglas - if you like Miles, check him out - start with "Orange Afternoons"
Avashai Cohen - if you like blues influenced jazz, checkout his work with Omer Avital - start with "Free Forever" or "Live at Smalls"
Ambrose Akinmusire - in his late 20's, but already creating legacy for himself

Piano:
Jason Moran - "Ten"
Gerald Clayton - "Paris: The Bond Sessions"
Eric Reed - "The Baddest Monk"

Sax:
JD Allen - "Victory!"
Donald Harrison Jr - "Indian Blues"
Joshua Redman - "Spirit of the Movement - Live at the Village Vanguard"

Drummers:
Dafnis Prieto - Cuban born drummer, "Taking the Soul for a Walk" - checkout his website which streams his tracks: www.dafnisonmusic.com/
Clarence Penn - had done a lot of side work with Dave Douglas and has a new release coming next month, "Dali In Cobble Hill"
Antonio Sanchez - "Live in New York at Jazz Standard"

Bass:
Omer Avital - see above to his works with tumpeter Cohen
Linda Oh - "Initial Here"
Christian McBride

That's just a small smattering of current jazz players and albums that are worth checking out. Happy listening!!

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #40 of 95
So far, almost nothing has been said in this thread about the first half century of jazz. The ratio of good to bad is much better in the 30s and 40s than in te 60s and 70s.

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #41 of 95
It's funny you'd mention this and then offer zero recommendations. Way to hammer home your point.

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #42 of 95
I did at the beginning ofbthebthread. A good introduction to Jazz is the Ken Burns Jazz series of CDs. The TV show sucked but the CDs are great.

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #44 of 95
Fizzled out because few were interested. Sometimes I think people like equipment more than music.

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #45 of 95
Quote:
Fizzled out because few were interested. Sometimes I think people like equipment more than music.

Ha! I think you're on to something! I'm not a big band era guy myself, but I do like some early bebop. The Ken Burns doc could have used a lot less Wynton Marsalis salivating over Louis Armstrong....that guy has a hard-on for Satchmo.

I think maybe sound quality issues turn some off from the early days of jazz, too. I, however, think that's part of the appeal - Django just wouldn't sound like Django without a little hissing and popping in the background....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back