Jazz Recommendations from this Century
Feb 10, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #166 of 411
Regarding the Metheny albums posted here I'm particularly fond of the 80/81 album as well as the Ornette collaboration.
Jack DeJohnette's(along with everyone else involved) wonderful playing doesn't hurt with those either.

I don't see anyone here on this thread saying Pat Metheny sold out but I've known many who have said that.

To be clear: I believe Pat believes in everything he does and is quite conscientious and thoughtful about his choices.

At the same time he is often associated with smooth jazz.Not to say people are correct with their assumption.
If you're ever in a situation where you are forced to hear smooth jazz radio(which unfortunately I have been) Metheny's music gets a fair bit of airplay in that context.
His tune "Last Train Home"(among others) also was very often heard in the Muzak format in grocery stores and elevators.Not my opinion. Fact.
I have heard many other great tunes (Steely Dan's music was also common on Muzak) that context right next to complete shlock.
Let's face it, "elevator music" is maybe an even worse label than "smooth jazz" to have attached to you.

Of course many musicians have been envious of his success and that contributes to SOME people's assumption he sold out(NOT MINE).

Just to point out that he is associated with smooth jazz here's a sample of the WIKI article on smooth jazz:

Early history[edit]

Smooth jazz as a radio format has its roots in the construction of what were once called "beautiful music" stations, which generally played fifteen-minute sets consisting of instrumentals bookending a vocal song or two. The incubators of the format were specialty shows at night or on the weekends, in places such as Atlanta (WQXI-FM and WVEE-FM), Miami (WWWL-FM) and San Antonio (KTFM). The first jazz radio station to attempt to reach an audience beyond hardcore jazz fans full-time was New York's WRVR-FM, which was acquired by Sonderling Broadcasting in 1976. Under its new management, WRVR more than tripled its audience by emphasizing artists like George Benson and Pat Metheny that were crossing over to more popular formats. Other early pioneers included WLOQ in Orlando, Florida (which began programming such a format in 1977), Russ Davis in Atlanta and "Jazz Flavours", Al Winters and "The Quiet Storm", Ross Block, Dave Caprita and Stu Grant at Love 94FM with "Sunday Morning Jazz" in Miami and Art Good at KIFM San Diego with "Lights Out San Diego".

I didn't read this WIKI article before making my observation nor did I contribute to this article in any way.

Just saying.
smile.gif

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #167 of 411
The reference to Han Bennink(whom I love) reminded me of this album:

Although not a 21st century recording the other guy involved passed away in 2005.

Extra points to anyone who can name the other guy
beerchug.gif

Seeing this awesome album art again inspires me to replace my Avatar.

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #168 of 411
For the record, one constant with "smooth jazz" is an incessant use of pre programmed drums and keyboards with an overly slick production.  Metheny has never made music like this.

With a catalog as large and diverse as his I suppose one could find a song that sounded sort of like a smooth jazz song you'd hear on radio but it would always be a bi-product of a larger arrangement.  

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #169 of 411
One advice for European Jazz lovers : Every should absolutely go to the ACT catalog:wink: ... so many marvelous stuff there!  https://www.actmusic.com/

For example on of my last favorites/great discovers in ACT catalog :

Others favorites recently discovered :

L3000.gif

Feb 12, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #171 of 411
The three ACT albums are absolutely wonderful. :wink:

If you don't know Youn Sun Nah , you should really listen to her: 

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #173 of 411
The video you posted was the only track that I had heard before but then because of your post I decided to look for more tracks on Youtube.  She is something special.  A great talent.  

Trying to keep to my rule of a new album every day.  Listened to Patricia Barber's Live: A Fortnight in Paris.  She's a talent too.  I've heard her name a lot in the past but never got around to listening. 

I've seen Avishai Cohen several times in the US, once with Karen Malka and Amos Hoffman (a real treat).  I wish he would tour here more.  One of my favorites to see live and I am enjoying the evolution of his music over time.  His later albums have really impressed me with the vocals.  

Quote:

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #175 of 411

And coming out of Austria there is the long running and really good Vienna Art Orchestra.

Belgium - try something by the Flat Earth Society, a large jazz band doing some very interesting work.

Let me know how you make out and I'll post some more music worth checking out.

Gave the Flat Earth society stuff posted on youtube a listen last night and it's real nice indeed.
Interesting composition and arrangements IMO.

Vienna Art Orchestra is next on my list....

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #176 of 411

Thanks for posting this.  I checked her out on Rhapsody and really enjoyed it.  Easily the most..."unusual" version of "Ghost Riders in the Sky" I have ever heard (the jury is still out on that track).

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #177 of 411

Thanks for posting this.  I checked her out on Rhapsody and really enjoyed it.  Easily the most.... "unusual" version of "Ghost Riders in the Sky" I have ever heard (the jury is still out on that one).

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #178 of 411

Cool & some somewhat "easy" Jazz but very enjoyable. I really appreciate this album .

Did anyone appreciate this too ? : 

This Album litteraly floored me when i discovered it .

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #179 of 411

Cool & some somewhat "easy" Jazz but very enjoyable. I really appreciate this album .

Did anyone appreciate this too ? : 

This Album litteraly floored me when i discovered it .

Yes just about all of drummer Manu Katche recordings are worthwhile.

And check out the room shaking bass on "The Cherry Thing". By the way, The Thing, basically free jazz group, as the backing band for singer Neneh Cherry is just an awsome concept - that works to perfection on "The Cherry Thing". Oh and did I mention the bass?
beyersmile.png

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #180 of 411
Here are some screen shots of some of my favorites.  These are mostly piano trios...and they my absolutely favorite music...and almost all from the 21st century.  I keep my other jazz  in separate folders; one of classics (Dave Brubek, Art Blakey, John Coltrane and such) and another for other jazz (John Scofield, Medeski Martin & Wood...basically, anything that is not piano trios). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back