Jazz Recommendations from this Century
Jan 2, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #91 of 411
…here's a Trane-influenced saxist who's been around a bit but come into his own in the past few years…three fine trio albums since 2008, notable for their economy, briskness and all-around expressiveness…JD Allen seems to be on a roll, not least of which because his trio is a good vehicle for Rudy Royston, one of the finest of the new drummers…

I Am I Am

Shine!

Victory!

Jan 2, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #92 of 411
Love that this thread is still alive and active - thanks tru blu for your additions - I'll be checking your trio recommendation out shortly :)

I've also just finished a review of "Free Forever" by the Omer Avital group. This recording should have a home with any serious jazz fans...at least that's my .02 cents. The compositions by Avital are masterpieces and the sax work by Frahm and trumpet work by Cohen are expressive and soulfull! A full review of the album can be found here: http://www.jazzjunkie.net/

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #93 of 411
Will definitely pick this up.  It contains the "other" Avishai Cohen that plays trumpet.  The other Avishai Cohen (my personal favorite) plays the double bass and studied under Chic Corea.  Must suck to be an accomplished musician to find out there is another guy with the same name out there who is also accomplished.

Quote:
Love that this thread is still alive and active - thanks tru blu for your additions - I'll be checking your trio recommendation out shortly :)

I've also just finished a review of "Free Forever" by the Omer Avital group. This recording should have a home with any serious jazz fans...at least that's my .02 cents. The compositions by Avital are masterpieces and the sax work by Frahm and trumpet work by Cohen are expressive and soulfull! A full review of the album can be found here: http://www.jazzjunkie.net/

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #94 of 411

Quote:
Must suck to be an accomplished musician to find out there is another guy with the same name out there who is also accomplished.

LOL! At least they play different instruments :) Both the Cohens are outstanding! His trumpet playing on this recording is just mesmerizing. If you pick it up, please let me know what you think!

Happy New Year!!

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #95 of 411
Jan 4, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #96 of 411
Early impressions is that it is an excellent recording.  I broke down and bought the Amazon MP3 album but maybe the CD would have been the way to go.  Or it is the actual recording itself.  The placement of the mics doesn't sound right to me.  Sounds a bit distant.  The album sounds flat to me, no fault of the artists.  It is a live recording which often doesn't lead to great releases though the musicianship is fantastic.  

Quote:
LOL! At least they play different instruments :) Both the Cohens are outstanding! His trumpet playing on this recording is just mesmerizing. If you pick it up, please let me know what you think!

Happy New Year!!

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #97 of 411
Quote:
Early impressions is that it is an excellent recording.  I broke down and bought the Amazon MP3 album but maybe the CD would have been the way to go.  Or it is the actual recording itself.  The placement of the mics doesn't sound right to me.  Sounds a bit distant.  The album sounds flat to me, no fault of the artists.  It is a live recording which often doesn't lead to great releases though the musicianship is fantastic.  

Glad you decided to pick this one up!! I have the CD and have been listening through an Audinst DAC/AMP and my Sennheiser HD600s - that being said, I don't think it's the mics, but it might be. It seems to me that at times the musicians are turning to the side or moving with their backs to the mics/audience. You definitely get the the feeling of a live recording. As far as distant/flat, I personally don't get that, but the Sennheiser's tend to put you right on stage (or in this case in the front two rows). Those are just my impressions.

I know I've already mentioned it, but it's worth repeating - the trumpet & sax playing are full of emotion and soul throughout. I couldn't decided what was more impressive - those two artists or the compositions by Avital. I also really enjoy Jason Linder's work on piano.

Anyway, glad you are enjoying it so far!!! Hope you're off to a happy 2012

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #98 of 411
I may just pick up the CD and maybe it's just the compression of the MP3.  I listened to it on my portable and home rigs.  I usually go with CDs but went with Amazon MP3 convenience this time.  By all other measures an outstanding album.  I guess it's just very noticeable that it is a live vs studio recording.  Live is always is trickier to record and edit in post-production.  

EDIT: you are right, not so much with positioning with MICs but in the MP3 version there isn't weight to any of the instruments, doesn't feel palpable whereas with even other MP3 albums or 16/44 rips the notes are more "palpable".  In any case, everyone should buy this album, I will get the CD version.  Great stuff.

Quote:
Glad you decided to pick this one up!! I have the CD and have been listening through an Audinst DAC/AMP and my Sennheiser HD600s - that being said, I don't think it's the mics, but it might be. It seems to me that at times the musicians are turning to the side or moving with their backs to the mics/audience. You definitely get the the feeling of a live recording. As far as distant/flat, I personally don't get that, but the Sennheiser's tend to put you right on stage (or in this case in the front two rows). Those are just my impressions.

I know I've already mentioned it, but it's worth repeating - the trumpet & sax playing are full of emotion and soul throughout. I couldn't decided what was more impressive - those two artists or the compositions by Avital. I also really enjoy Jason Linder's work on piano.

Anyway, glad you are enjoying it so far!!! Hope you're off to a happy 2012

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #100 of 411

Quote:

EDIT: you are right, not so much with positioning with MICs but in the MP3 version there isn't weight to any of the instruments, doesn't feel palpable whereas with even other MP3 albums or 16/44 rips the notes are more "palpable".  In any case, everyone should buy this album, I will get the CD version.  Great stuff.

Awesome WNBC - really glad you are getting the same enjoyment out of it that I am!!! I'll be working on a review this weekend of another recording from that group (with a different drummer).

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #101 of 411

Quote:
…here's a Trane-influenced saxist who's been around a bit but come into his own in the past few years…three fine trio albums since 2008, notable for their economy, briskness and all-around expressiveness…JD Allen seems to be on a roll, not least of which because his trio is a good vehicle for Rudy Royston, one of the finest of the new drummers…

Victory!

Thanks tru blu - going to try and pickup a copy of Victory this weekend!

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #102 of 411

Quote:

…gonna look into this. Incidentally, just last night I saw Omer Avital in a Middle Eastern hiphop-inspired band called Yemen Blues. He was playing oud at one point and then strapped on a Hofner bass like the one Paul McCartney likes to play.

Jan 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #103 of 411

Users who are viewing this thread

Back