Jazz Recommendations from this Century
Dec 18, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #76 of 411
Yeah, their last album is the only one that I do not like but I think maybe I should go back and listen.  That's the optimist in me, otherwise I'll have to say it was not nearly as good as their other albums.  
EST, thank you for the suggestions, I have their From Gagarin's Point of View album.  Fantastic, I just haven't had a chance to go through their entire body of work yet.  I should though because I really enjoy the one I already have.

Quote:
^ I haven't spent too much time with it, but I shall right now. I've been drifting into less structured music lately :wink:

Anyway - while we're into this genre, Esbjörn Svensson Trio is of course a must for anyone to know

E.S.T   /    Esbjörn Svensson Trio

My favorite albums are Viaticum, Leucocyte, 7 days of falling if I had to pick any - but they're all great.

Dec 18, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #77 of 411

Quote:
^ I haven't spent too much time with it, but I shall right now. I've been drifting into less structured music lately :wink:

Anyway - while we're into this genre, Esbjörn Svensson Trio is of course a must for anyone to know

E.S.T   /    Esbjörn Svensson Trio

My favorite albums are Viaticum, Leucocyte, 7 days of falling if I had to pick any - but they're all great.

http://www.myspace.com/esbjornsvenssontrio

Couldn't agree more, I'll add this one to the list aswell because they are a remarkable live act. They have a very broad appeal, sometimes full on contemporary Jazz, sometimes Rock, Latin, easy listening..  

Live in Hamburg 

Also, if you like that you may also like this:

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #78 of 411
Awesome weekend recommendations!! Really glad to see this thread still going strong - what a great way to keep up on contemporary favorites!!! I really enjoy E.S.T. and the little bit of Gustavssen I have. Eple Trio and Stanko are new to me though (thanks ardilla)....so more new candy for the ears :)  Got 10 new albums loaded up on the mp3 player for the week at work - some are recommendations from this thread - so I'm hoping for a few new gems.

LugBug - congrats on the new baby....hope you can still find some time to enjoy music....and get some sleep!!!

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #80 of 411
I love this site....
Great thread and lots of great recommendations. Since i got my new head-fi setup I have been going back through my collection and hitting alot of jazz that i have not listened to in a long time.

Bill Frisell
Bob James
Mingus
Jeff Lorber
Gary Burton
on and on....

It is so great rediscovering music you already have and new music you did not know was out there.

Currently listnening to Jane Monheit - Home (very nice, smooth voice), moving on to Neil Cowley Trio next

Thanks all

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #81 of 411
There's a fantastic live recording from last January by pianists Jason Moran and Robert Glasper in a double trio format…Moran is on keyboards; Glasper piano…it's called 713-->212: Houstonians in NYC. Here's the link…

http://www.wbgo.org/thecheckout/houstonians-in-nyc-jason-moran-and-robert-glasper/

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #82 of 411

Quote:
I love this site....
Great thread and lots of great recommendations. Since i got my new head-fi setup I have been going back through my collection and hitting alot of jazz that i have not listened to in a long time.

Bill Frisell
Bob James
Mingus
Jeff Lorber
Gary Burton
on and on....

It is so great rediscovering music you already have and new music you did not know was out there.

Currently listnening to Jane Monheit - Home (very nice, smooth voice), moving on to Neil Cowley Trio next

Thanks all

Whoa!
Big plus ONE for Jane Monheit's "Home" CD.
In addition, "The Lovers, The Dreamers and Me" from Jane is worth a listen.

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #83 of 411
DAMN, where to start?........

Quote:

LugBug - just playing this for the first time this morning (about half way through). So far, so good....on par with many of the piano trios that have been mentioned so far. Definitely plan on giving this some more dedicated listenings!

GouldPhoto - hahaha....I know exactly what you mean! My new Sennheiser HD600 came in last night - I was like the proverbial kid in the candy store; couldn't decide what to listen to so I was just grabbing favorite tracks and lining them up in the queue. Then it got later and later and was past my normal bedtime and I actually thought to myself, "but self, can't I stay up just a little while longer?"

tru blu - thanks for the link!! I will definitely be checking that out later this morning - I'm a HUGE Moran fan.

Dec 25, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #85 of 411

Users who are viewing this thread

Back