Jazz Man Needs New Cans
Jun 27, 2006 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

gunting

New Head-Fier
I am a jazz trumpet player that loves the music of the 60's and 70's. Unfortunately, these recordings are often of poor quality. Currently, I use a pair of Senn 580's with the Clous Blue cable. As a source I have the Sony 333ES CD player and the Veda Dynahi SA headamp. I love the sonics of the 580's. They have a wide soundstage that surrounds my head and also limit the harshness of these old jazz recordings. I ask you though, is it time to move on from the 580's? Have newer cans broken significant new ground sonically?

Jun 27, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 22
If you really like the 580, Sennheiser's current flagship is the HD-650. IMO, it is an improvement over the 580 in just about every way, but it's signature is pretty much the same.
You might look at the k701, not my cup of tea but it's worth a look. Also a lot of folks like the DT-880s. They're very close to the HD-650s.
But I'd say the Senns are going to be the best with bad recordings. I play trumpet myself and I'm curious as to which recordings you think are bad.

Jun 27, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 22
Good to hear from another trumpet player. My 3 favorite horn players are Clifford Brown, Freddie Hubbard, and Lee Morgan. The work that these cats did with Art Blakey was phenomenal. Sonically, in many of these recordings (especially the live sessions) there is over emphasis of booming bass drum (bomb shells), absent acoustic bass, and perhaps too much energy in the mid range. Indeed, its with these CD's that I will engage (and please don't gasp) an equalizer. Rudy Van Gelder has done all of us a service by remastering some of these sessions. The sonic quality of jazz CD's takes a real dive when we go back one prior decade to the works of players like, Roy Eldridge. But please.... don't get me wrong, I am not complaining. In fact, I feel blessed that we have preserved this fantastic music. I am just wondering whether the improvements in headphone technology justify me "movin' on," or should I just hang tight and let the music flow with my Senn 580's.

Jun 27, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 22
Hi, another jazz lover here (no trumpet this time, but a sax). I've just found a decent deal for HD 580 and am going to buy them soon. Do you think it's going to sound well for Sax solos (as they're milder than trumpets)? I'm listening to Sonny Rollins, Joshua Redman.

Viva Jazz!
Algirdas

Jun 28, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #6 of 22
Have you listened to any open AKG cans? I think you would be unfair to yourself if you didn't go out and try both the K601 and K701. You might just find a diamond in the rough with one of them. I think my K601's are incredible for jazz.

Jun 28, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 22
i had a k601 and it's pretty good but i'm also thinking about getting a grado for jazz. the grado's been known for the mids and guitar. i suppose the trumpet sound should be quite "similar".

i got a tom cat cd from lee morgan last week. wow it was good

Jun 28, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #8 of 22
I think it's more a question of 'different' than 'better'. I don't think headphones like the 600 or 650 are a huge improvement over the 580 - but I'd get a K501 for a taste of the AKG signature.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #9 of 22
I play sax, love jazz recordings mainly from 20's-70's and my favorite cans are my DT-880's with my Luxman tube integrated and my Grado SR-225's with my LD2. Own 580's also and they are offer a sweet mellow listen when my ears are tired from the other two.

BUT, 580's were more or less my introduction to hi-end headphones especially since they are forgiving to bad recordings and less than the best electronics. The DT-880's really are the best but I use the Grados more right now. Probably just because my Grados are in a more accessible setup. Never tried K701's yet
frown.gif
! 650's are ok but I found them to be a little too 'lush.'

Jun 29, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #11 of 22
I listen to allot of jazz and have all the RVG reissues which can get a little edgy on horns. I have an a pair of hd600's that are a couple of years old, and a new pair of k701's and dt880's. I find the 701's to be the most forgiving of all of them with the 880's the least. The Senn.'s sound is tilted toward the bass and the 880's to the treble. The 701's are the most balanced with jazz and are the best with jazz vocals I think. i listen to allot of classical and the 880's are a tough act to follow with great details and instrument localization. Still, with any music, the 600's are laid back and once my mind adjusts to the bass, it is the most relaxing listen. These are very early impressions with the 701's and 880's though. Btw, I'm listening through the Eddie Current EC01 which seem to be fine with all these cans.

Jun 29, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut
I listen to allot of jazz and have all the RVG reissues which can get a little edgy on horns. I have an a pair of hd600's that are a couple of years old, and a new pair of k701's and dt880's. I find the 701's to be the most forgiving of all of them with the 880's the least. The Senn.'s sound is tilted toward the bass and the 880's to the treble. The 701's are the most balanced with jazz and are the best with jazz vocals I think. i listen to allot of classical and the 880's are a tough act to follow with great details and instrument localization. Still, with any music, the 600's are laid back and once my mind adjusts to the bass, it is the most relaxing listen. These are very early impressions with the 701's and 880's though. Btw, I'm listening through the Eddie Current EC01 which seem to be fine with all these cans.

I think the DT-880's really complement my vinyl setup and even recordings from vinyl. But they also sound great with many cd's (including RVG reisssues for sure!) My amp has a very warm and relaxed sound, so I think that's why the DT-880's work so well here. My 580's (or worse, my Grados) with this amp are a very bad synergy.
I have never heard a pair of AKG's, but can say with this setup the DT-880's are clearly the winner over the Senns, and this includes HD-650's which I sold. They are detailed, neutral, and involving (here.) But it's all amp-dependant, because the Senns 580's are the clear winner with my solid state portable MINT amp. And with the LD2, it's Grados...

It just seems like relationships with other components is pretty much what determines how desirable a component is, and not just its capabilities alone.
While I would like to try K701's, I think the DT-880's are just about perfect for me so I'm not too tempted to 'upgrade.' Everytime I hear my DT-880's on my Luxman I marvel at how crisp and beautiful the sound is. Instrument seperation and soundstage is a little different from Senns, but the DT-880's just have a certain magic to them that is fresh, lively, and involving. The bass is excellent and the sound is overall neutral and accurate. I love them! This is for jazz, I don't listen to a lot of classical.

Jun 29, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #13 of 22
I like my DT-880s driven by my Marantz integrated tube amp. Paired with a tube amp of some sort, you'll get the benefit of their detail and soundstage without harshness in the highs.

Jun 29, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gunting
Good to hear from another trumpet player. My 3 favorite horn players are Clifford Brown, Freddie Hubbard, and Lee Morgan. The work that these cats did with Art Blakey was phenomenal. Sonically, in many of these recordings (especially the live sessions) there is over emphasis of booming bass drum (bomb shells), absent acoustic bass, and perhaps too much energy in the mid range. Indeed, its with these CD's that I will engage (and please don't gasp) an equalizer. Rudy Van Gelder has done all of us a service by remastering some of these sessions. The sonic quality of jazz CD's takes a real dive when we go back one prior decade to the works of players like, Roy Eldridge. But please.... don't get me wrong, I am not complaining. In fact, I feel blessed that we have preserved this fantastic music. I am just wondering whether the improvements in headphone technology justify me "movin' on," or should I just hang tight and let the music flow with my Senn 580's.

I'd say hang tight. If the bass is too boomy, the 580s would be better for you than the 600s and definitely the 650s, and the acoustic bass range should be fine. The Senns will tone down the mid range. To me, sometimes jazz can get a bit bright or harsh, that makes the Senns perfect. I'll confess, I haven't hear many AKGs so they may well be worth a listen. They definitely have a devoted fan bass.
I know what you mean about going back a decade. It's hard for me to listen to Miles Davis' "Kinda Blue". It's just not recorded well. A LOT of distortion.
As to the Grados and guitars. I wouldn't say they do jazz guitar well, rock guitar yes, but jazz guitar no. It's much better on the Senns. The Senns can give much more fullness.
Unless you just want to spend some money or just try new headphones, I'd say you're doing well with what you have. Of course improvements can be made, but you don't sound like you want headphones to be your hobby, you just want to know if headphones have improved by leaps and bounds over the 580s. Nope. You'll find the 580s in just about everyone's short list of best bang for the buck headphone.

Jun 29, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #15 of 22
No one has mentioned the AKG K-501 here yet. I've recently gotten into jazz, and I regularly reach for them when listening. I think they sound terrific.

My secord favorite for jazz would be the Grado HF-1. It sounds terrific, but it's not as crisp as the K-501. Getting the HF-1 is a crapshoot, but the RS-2, RS-1 and GS-1000 are somewhat similar Grados with mahogany and all are easily available, new and used.

Still, the K-501 is the least expensive of the lot, and still my favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back