Jazz Man Needs New Cans
Jun 29, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #17 of 22
You could try doing some simple things to your 580's. Buy a 650 cable, or other upgrade cable (lots of impressiosn on various cables (blue dragon, silver dragon, zu mobius, various cardas cables, equinox, oracle, more cables exist)), buy 600 grills for your 580's, etc. They share the same drivers as the 600's and you can essentialy change them into 600's without spending much, and you can always easily revert back if you like the sound of the 580 stock better.

Jul 1, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #18 of 22
Sorry to bump, but didn't want to start a new thread.

I finally landed a job and want to get a new headphone/amp setup. I was wondering if the Stax SR-001( or SR-005) systems will be good with jazz.

Jul 1, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #19 of 22
im a jazz fiend
couldnt be happier with my set up
650 s with a good amp and source....mmmmmmmmmmmm

Jul 1, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #20 of 22
The K501's are my favorite "vintage" jazz cans. The older the original recording , the better the 501's sound. I find the HD650's too revealing on these types of recordings, RVG's and so forth. Modern, smooth jazz sounds great on the 650's, old tinkly sounding piano and horn jazz from Rudy Van Gelder sounds better to me on the 501's. 650's can reveal too much information you don't want to hear: tape hiss, wow and flutter, sharp and flat sounding music from tape stretch, etc.

Jul 1, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by glenmorangie
im a jazz fiend
couldnt be happier with my set up
650 s with a good amp and source....mmmmmmmmmmmm

I'll second that "mmmmmmmmmmmm"

eggosmile.gif

Jul 2, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #22 of 22
My HD650s sound outstanding w/Jazz recordings (I was listening to Art Blakey - A Night In Tunisia, last night...so fun and addictive). Funny thing that Gunting mentions that very set of recordings, below. I think it takes a min to get passed the flaws in the recording, but once you really start listening, it's really got a great overall "feel" to it and actually is quite a nice live sound. I also like Chet Baker's "Baby Breeze", as a specific example (the non-vocal tracks, specifically - the impact and tone on the HD650s are just crazy good - sweet flugelhorn and driving drums, very intimate but so cohesive).

I did have a set of K701s, which when set to the right Jazz CD, really did sound great (in a bit of a different way - really more of an airy sound...great layering/instrument separation). I actually almost kept them, but couldn't get over some fit/comfort and amp/headphone synergy issues. I have absolutely no regrets though, w/the HD650s, they have really come into their own.

I think it's what will work best w/your other components (and what you like). The HD650s really let the great tone of brass and kicking drums (especially) in Jazz recordings shine through, IMO (and no boomy or muddy bass w/the right setup). Even the recordings that are less than perfect...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back