Jazz CD info - need help!!!
Dec 15, 2001 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

vn412

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking into buying a couple new jazz CDs and need your help!

do any of you guys own "The Columbia Years" set of Miles Davis? Is it any good? Is the recording high quality?

Also, I've been looking into getting a broad set as well. How's the quality of Ken Burn's Jazz Set?

Thanks a lot!

Dec 18, 2001 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by vn412
I've been looking into buying a couple new jazz CDs and need your help!

do any of you guys own "The Columbia Years" set of Miles Davis? Is it any good? Is the recording high quality?

Also, I've been looking into getting a broad set as well. How's the quality of Ken Burn's Jazz Set?

Thanks a lot!

I would try the "Essential Miles Davis" set. It is only 2 discs. Good mix of tunes. The Columbia Years set is pretty good. it cuts of his Columbia output into different styles.

Either disc is not bad for a sampler of what Miles does.

Also there are discs called "Highlights" from each of his Box Sets. Not a bad place to start either.

No idea on the Ken Burns set. I was turned off to the series by his lack of discussion of Bill Evans.

Dec 18, 2001 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 19
I have a couple of the individual Burns discs. Some of them were mastered by Mark Wilder so the sound should be fine.

The Herbie Hancock one is a real ear opener. This guy helped pioneer so many different styles of jazz it's uncanny, maybe even as much as Miles. Even though the track selection may be missing some key earlier work, I highly recommend it.

I also recommend going to the actuall albums of the artists as much as possible. Do a search and you'll find plenty of suggestions. AMG would be good place to see what's in print and on CD.

Hey Scott, is Soulville really that much better live? Some of their studio albums are a little tame, but I could see them stretching out live.

Dec 18, 2001 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by BenG
Hey Scott, is Soulville really that much better live? Some of their studio albums are a little tame, but I could see them stretching out live.

Soulive really stretches out live. Great stuff. They are touring and playing with "jambands". I saw them out in Colorado over Labor Day weekend. They were good. I like them becuase it makes me think of Stax/Volt.

Dec 18, 2001 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 19
Dec 18, 2001 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 19
The Ken Burns set (the entire box) is a great place for people to start if they're interested in jazz. There are so many artists and styles represented that it's an effective way of figuring out what you really like.

Dec 18, 2001 at 9:40 PM Post #7 of 19
The Miles Davis/John Coltrane box is excellent,but my higher recommendation would be the Miles Davis Quintet Box set with the 1965--1968 lineup of: Miles, Ron Carter,Herbie Hancock,Wayne Shorter and the incredible Tony Williams on Drums.

Dec 18, 2001 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Magic77
The Miles Davis/John Coltrane box is excellent,but my higher recommendation would be the Miles Davis Quintet Box set with the 1965--1968 lineup of: Miles, Ron Carter,Herbie Hancock,Wayne Shorter and the incredible Tony Williams on Drums.

I agree, Magic77. I'm pretty much a Miles addict, and own a number of boxed sets on both CD and LP. That band is a bitch and that set is very well assembled.

Dec 18, 2001 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 19
I got the Miles Davis - Essential 2CD. one word: fantastic. I prefer getting whole albums, but this is a great collection.

also get John Coltrane - Blue Train. this one has some magic going on. not sure what it is exactly, but there's that great 50's film-noire atmosphere going on there, absolutely terrific album.

and when you're in the mood for some smooth stuff, get some Bossa Nova like "Jazz Samba" by Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd.

thats also all the albums I got
tongue.gif
but specially the last two are classics.

Dec 19, 2001 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 19
Hi guys, I've been wanting to jump into jazz for a long time now. I've the following Miles Davis CD lined up to buy. THe problem, there seems to be many releases/remaster/DSD/whatever's next of the same set. Which set should I buy? Any special/unique set that has the best sound quality???

I've gonna buy
Miles Davis - Bitches Brews

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

So which release of the above should I get?

Dec 19, 2001 at 6:22 PM Post #11 of 19
With Bitches Brew,you can get the remasterd 2-CD set which sounds excellent,as well as "The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions" which is a 4-CD Box Set and has a lot of bonus tracks and previously unreleased tracks.

With Kind of Blue; the latest remastered version is also excellent sounding. It's also available on Super Audio CD,if of course you have an SACD player.

Dec 19, 2001 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 19
I would definitely get both of these selections. "Bitches Brew" is "Electric Miles Davis" from 1969, and "Kind of Blue" is "Acoustic Miles Davis" from 1959.

Both are considerd Classics and 2 of his best recordings of all time,especially among Miles Davis Fans.

Dec 19, 2001 at 9:49 PM Post #13 of 19
Might I also recommend these musicians:

Oscar Peterson - piano
Joe Pass - guitar
Sonny Rollins - sax
Clark Terry - trumpet
Thad Jones/Mel Lewis - trumpet/drums
Wynton Marsalis - trumpet
Brandford Marsalis - sax

One thing that I try to do when looking for Jazz CDs is to take look at the musicians that are performing on the CD along with the "headliner."

Dec 20, 2001 at 3:15 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by kaiwei
Hi guys, I've been wanting to jump into jazz for a long time now. I've the following Miles Davis CD lined up to buy. THe problem, there seems to be many releases/remaster/DSD/whatever's next of the same set. Which set should I buy? Any special/unique set that has the best sound quality???

I've gonna buy
Miles Davis - Bitches Brews

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

So which release of the above should I get?

If you are just jumping into jazz, and your tastes don't run towards the avant garde, I would start with Kind of Blue - art & the science of recording have seldom sounded better.

It took me a while to get into "Bitches Brew", as it sounded awful to me at first. I now, however, look upon it quite highly. Like was suggested earlier, the great Quintet of 1965-68(Miles Smiles being the stand out album imo) may be a better second destination from KOB. It will also alow you to appreciate the progression and evolution Miles and company took. You also might want to check out the "In a Silent Way" set after that, as it was the precursor to Bitches Brew.

All of this stuff is on SACD and limited, import DSD CDs. The domestic CDs & Boxes even sound pretty hot, especially for the low asking price of some of the individual CDs.

Anyone just stepping into jazz from an electronic, rap, funk, or even rock perspective needs to checkout Herbie Hancock "Headhunters" - there is some serious influence on modern music going on here!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back