jazz cans
Apr 9, 2006 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

bonethugz

500+ Head-Fier
i'm new here and need some help i hope you guys can help me here

i think i want to upgrade my sound system and i'm thinking getting a pair of good cans first. cd player next(i'm looking at the marantz cd5001 but that's another story) and amp the last. i listen mainly, 80 to 90% jazz and a little bit of everything. if i'm getting a senn hd595. am i getting the right thing? i need bass, i have a pair of er6i but i simply hate, i can't say hate but dislike it a lot and i got myself a px200, anyway other things are important too. not too bass but i want my bass better than my er6i. probably more similiar to my px200. and as for jazz. i listen to all jazz, from fourplay to roy hargrove. i'm a miles davis and wayne shorter fan to so i basically listen to all style. any suggestion?

thanks

Apr 9, 2006 at 8:58 AM Post #2 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz
i'm new here and need some help i hope you guys can help me here

i think i want to upgrade my sound system and i'm thinking getting a pair of good cans first. cd player next(i'm looking at the marantz cd5001 but that's another story) and amp the last. i listen mainly, 80 to 90% jazz and a little bit of everything. if i'm getting a senn hd595. am i getting the right thing? i need bass, i have a pair of er6i but i simply hate, i can't say hate but dislike it a lot and i got myself a px200, anyway other things are important too. not too bass but i want my bass better than my er6i. probably more similiar to my px200. and as for jazz. i listen to all jazz, from fourplay to roy hargrove. i'm a miles davis and wayne shorter fan to so i basically listen to all style. any suggestion?

thanks

OK. The ER6i is a little lacking in bass, but so is the PX200, but not to the same extent. I personally think that the ER6i is a level above the PX200. Soundwise, in different leagues altogether. The HD595 will definitely have more bass. Not only more, but also deeper. They are still forward-sounding enough for Jazz and I recommend them. A soothing yet detailed midrange should be excellent for saxophone and vocals. They are comfy too.

Apr 9, 2006 at 9:01 AM Post #3 of 24
I quiete liked the HD595 for Jazz. Everything sounds natural, but still warm. They fall a bit short in respect of soundscape though.

Personally, I would prefer the AT A900 over the HD595. It's as refined, but has a huuuuuge soundscape.

Apr 9, 2006 at 9:22 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen
I quiete liked the HD595 for Jazz. Everything sounds natural, but still warm. They fall a bit short in respect of soundscape though.

Personally, I would prefer the AT A900 over the HD595. It's as refined, but has a huuuuuge soundscape.

blink.gif
Really?

Apr 9, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Some may argue that soundstage is less important for jazz. As long as it is relatively wide (true for the HD595) and has good instrument separation (true for the HD595) and clarity (true for the HD595), jazz is not a problem.

Apr 9, 2006 at 10:10 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo
blink.gif
Really?

Doesn't have a huge deeper meaning, as there are legions of cans that I'd prefer over a HD595.

Apr 9, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Ain't it a bit irrational (besides the first time I see such a comment).

Apr 9, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 24
I really like grado for jazz

but then again i mainly listen to hardbop and avantegarde jazz so it seems to work well

i haven't heard it but briefly but the sr325i is supposed to fair well for jazz

Apr 9, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #9 of 24
In my case Grado is the can for Jazz. I would get the RS-1 or the RS-2, used they go for $550 and $400 respectively.

I have the Senn HD600 and the AKG K701. Both are great cans but not even close to the RS-1 (IMO). Good luck.

Apr 9, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #10 of 24
so ya say ya need bass, eh? You've got a good IEM....simply add a Xin Supermini and there will be bass out of your er-6i that you never knew they had in them. Then experiment by using the Bassboost jumpers, and Xinfeed (crossfeed) jumpers.
O.k. i'll admit it - I am a jazz fan. My choices never will involve the name Sennheiser, or Audiotechnica for those pursuits. Think open/semi-open AKG, Beyer, or non-plastic end of the Grado spectrum......all amped, of course. Go to a Head-fi meet (take a cd of tracks you know very well)......experiment, and have some fun. Do not buy cans based on the recommendations of others whose tastes or aural sensabilities you do not know.

Apr 9, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #11 of 24
K701s for jazz. Very impressive when I first heard them.

Apr 9, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #12 of 24
thanks for the replies guys

k701? that's a little expensive isn't it? i heard k701 is in a total different league than the hd595 though. i think i want to get a cheaper one first to see if i can hear the difference. plus does the k701 need an amp?

i think didn't explain good enough(sorry i'm new to this audio stuff). i can hear er6i is very clear and great isolation but the px200 sounds more, ummm, like there are more bass with my ipod 4th gen. i now only take the px200 with me. and why i'm thinking of getting a hd595, based on i think i like the sennheiser sound. of course i might be wrong. if i think px200 has enough base, i think i don't really need/like base right? i like px200 better than my er6i and my sony mdr-v700.

so, if i want a headphone, over $100, under 200 for jazz using a regular cd player. without an amp what should i get?

ps: ooh, i'm just playing a miles davis doo-bop cd. that's not really jazz isn't it
biggrin.gif
? i think i suddenly don't know what genre i like most

Apr 9, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz
thanks for the replies guys

k701? that's a little expensive isn't it? i heard k701 is in a total different league than the hd595 though. i think i want to get a cheaper one first to see if i can hear the difference. plus does the k701 need an amp?

i think didn't explain good enough(sorry i'm new to this audio stuff). i can hear er6i is very clear and great isolation but the px200 sounds more, ummm, like there are more bass with my ipod 4th gen. i now only take the px200 with me. and why i'm thinking of getting a hd595, based on i think i like the sennheiser sound. of course i might be wrong. if i think px200 has enough base, i think i don't really need/like base right? i like px200 better than my er6i and my sony mdr-v700.

so, if i want a headphone, over $100, under 200 for jazz using a regular cd player. without an amp what should i get?

ps: ooh, i'm just playing a miles davis doo-bop cd. that's not really jazz isn't it
biggrin.gif
? i think i suddenly don't know what genre i like most

Under $200? Get the HD595s and you will not need an amp to drive them. They get a bit better with an amp but do not need one to sound fine.

Apr 9, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #14 of 24
I was just getting ready to recommend a pair of AKGs for jazz, but see that you want to go unamped. In that case, the HD-595 or Grados would probably suit you best.

But you should really think about getting an amp. Even cans that don't need to be amped are greatly improved with one.

You can often find used ones around the $100 mark. Little Dot, Creek OBH-11, and a few others are OK. They may not offer the ultimate sound, but they're nothing horrible, either. From there, you might enjoy a paid of AKG K-501s ($130) for good jazz reproduction.

Apr 9, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #15 of 24
HF1 is my fave jazz can. Like my RS1 too but at times IMHO its TOO real sounding. Ever sit next to a trumpet player blair out some tunes?... THATS the RS1. So its a preference thing for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back