Jays q-JAYS, First look, Production level !!
Aug 23, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #61 of 205
Hey Kramer, what kind of amps do you think they'll synergize best with?

Aug 25, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #62 of 205
I'm really impressed by Jays. A few questions about the new q-JAYS...

How well do they isolate compared to the d-JAYS or Shure SE210, for example. From what I've seen in a graph on the HeadRoom site, Shure SE210 isolate better than d-JAYS ( Isolation Comparison between the Shure SE210 and d-JAYS ) Are the Shure SE Series so good at isolation?

And, how does the q-JAYS bass compare to Shure SE210?

Thanks a lot!

Aug 26, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #63 of 205
I'm also interested in the isolation. How good do they isolate in the train? With normal ear plugs its driving me mad having the choice between killing my ears and hearing the sound of the train.
smily_headphones1.gif
So that would be an interesting point for me. Thanks a lot for the great review
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #64 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by erunestian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really impressed by Jays. A few questions about the new q-JAYS...

How well do they isolate compared to the d-JAYS or Shure SE210, for example. From what I've seen in a graph on the HeadRoom site, Shure SE210 isolate better than d-JAYS ( Isolation Comparison between the Shure SE210 and d-JAYS ) Are the Shure SE Series so good at isolation?

And, how does the q-JAYS bass compare to Shure SE210?

Thanks a lot!

Yeah, Shure's isolate a LOT, their best quality IMO. I'd think that the q-JAYS have *much* more detail than the SE210's and a lot more treble presence, with about the same bass. The 210's are warm and stuffy, and they have no highs. The bass is fine with me, though.

I'd ask kramer how they compare. He compared the new Shure line with the q-JAYS at a previous meet.

EDIT: And cursory, I think he's already said that headamp's AE-2 and the RSA tomahawk synergize best with the JAYS. Don't know about desktop amps, though.

Aug 26, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #65 of 205
Garrett, did you listened "amped", for q-JAYS impressions? Your take is very different from The_Duke_of_Eli's.

Aug 26, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #66 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Garrett, what amp did you use for you impressions of the q-JAYS? Your take is very different from The_MArching_Mule's.

The Marching Mule? He has them?

Do you mean the_duke_of_eli or am I missing something?

Aug 27, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #68 of 205
Wow lots of questions!!

IMHO AD8397 based amps synnergize best with the q-jays (AE-2, Hornet, Mini^3). I dont know what it is with that little OP amp... but IMHO it sings with highly detailed IEMs.

I spent a good deal of time this weekend at the Bay area meet comparing the different mini^3 versions on AMBs table. He had 3 different amp configurations layed out on the table. He didn't tell me what was inside each one... But one amp in particular really stood out over the other two. It was bassy-warm, with some very energetic mids/highs. A very dynamic amp, that sounded great with my D335 line-out. In contrast to another amp version which was very dark and congested by comparison. Clearly I preferred that one amp over the others.
r2rthinker.jpg

I asked AMB what OP amp my favorite amp used... Can you guess which one?... Yup an AD8397. Trust your ears fellas!! Your ears will never lie.

I like Rays Tomahawk too, although its a slightly more airy and ambient presentation than the fore-mentioned amps.

All my q-jays impressions are made amped, or straight out of my D335 PCDP.

q-jays-VS-SE210:

The Shure is thicker sounding, and more in the head. It has some severe treble roll-off, that at times seemed to dull the music. The q-jays are more airy, dry and articulate, with tons more treble detail resolution. Bass quantity is about the same, although I found the q-jays bass more airy and articulate, while the SE210 was thicker, heavier and more "massive" feeling.

q-jays-VS-ER4S:
I spent some time A/B comparing the q-jays to the ETY ER4S. No question, the ety has more forward mids, and therefore seems flatter across the spectrum. The gentile/slight recession of the q-jays mids seem to add a sense of distance and separation. While the ER4, seemed to be closer-in at times. The q-jays bass does have slightly more impact too.

Sorry Antony... Its just two different perceptions of the same headphone.
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #72 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmiarka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Kramer,

Thanks for the review. Do you, or anyone else, have a comparison between the q-Jays and Shure's SES310s?

Like...this?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back