Jays q-JAYS, First look, Production level !!
Oct 1, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #197 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, would some of you guys mind doing reviews of the Jays line? Canal phones are really popular, and i'd like more reviews for headphonereviews.org.

To review the headphones click the links below:
d-Jays
j-Jays
q-Jays

If you need to register first click here. You can submit reviews immediately after you register, but they won't be shown until I approve your registration - I do that once each day.

While you're there please feel free to submit reviews of any other headphones you own, canal phones especially!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi
I will try to see if I can get the time I have d-JAYS and q-JAYS.
The only problem is that I am quite new at this and have a hard time using the correct terms, but I will, as always, do my best..

Thanks Claus, but come on the rest of you, headphone reviews is a website I made to help us and others out, please add some reviews!

Oct 1, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #198 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they respond well to amps? Is there a big difference between amped and unamped? Some people who have tested them said that the q-JAYS take on the sound signature of the amp being used.

I A/B'ed them for some time with my Woo6/Echo Indigo and the Cowon D2. There is a subtle difference between both sources/amps, but that could be expected, I guess. I assume the difference would be bigger with a weaker DAP, since the D2 is pretty powerful with its 74mW amp. However, treble of course sounded even smoother on the tube amp, and the soundstage was slightly larger. So yes, the q-Jay sure reacts to the source. The D2 is a quite bright and a bit harsh sounding player, and the q-Jays show these faults.

Quote:

Just wondering, have you ever listened to a Shure E500? I have a feeling you would fall in love with them. I could see someone who likes the warm signature of the Atrio m5 upgrading to the E500 (aka SE530) someday.

I only tested them for some minutes in a music store. There was too much going on, and I couldn't concentrate on the sound very well. I can hardly remember what they sounded like. (OTOH, I tested the E2c-E5c a bit more extensively, and I really didn't find those very special. I wish I could try the E500 again.) I'm wondering: why did you sell your E500 and Atrios?

Oct 1, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #199 of 205
How does this compare to Shure SE530PTH?

Oct 1, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #200 of 205
is the soundstage significantly smaller than the atrios? issit more of an in your head projection or surround sound?

Oct 1, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #201 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering: why did you sell your E500 and Atrios?

Both of them were had a dark signature that I couldn't really get used to.

I only bought them actually to see if I could live with high-end IEMs. I wasn't planning on keeping any of them unless I really loved them. I was almost confident that I could stick with the sound of the E500, but it was still a little too dark sounding for my tastes.

The q-JAYS look like they might fit the bill and are cheaper and smaller to boot. I'll probably order a pair and give them a shot. I've been waiting on the Westone 3 and am now curious about Klipsch's future IEM offerings (as I do like their speakers). The other IEM that has been on my mind are the LiveWires, which seem like a bargain for a custom earphone.

What I'm basically looking for is something that sounds like my Koss KSC35 in IEM-form. I think I want something with treble energy because it makes things seem more clear and airy. I think. But I haven't heard any Etymotics IEMs so I'm not quite sure if that's what I'm looking for, but we'll see. It sounded like Westone 3 was going to be the be all and end all for me, but there has been so many delays.

Oct 1, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #202 of 205
Quote:

Both of them were had a dark signature that I couldn't really get used to.

I only bought them actually to see if I could live with high-end IEMs. I wasn't planning on keeping any of them unless I really loved them. I was almost confident that I could stick with the sound of the E500, but it was still a little too dark sounding for my tastes.

The q-JAYS look like they might fit the bill and are cheaper and smaller to boot. I'll probably order a pair and give them a shot. I've been waiting on the Westone 3 and am now curious about Klipsch's future IEM offerings (as I do like their speakers). The other IEM that has been on my mind are the LiveWires, which seem like a bargain for a custom earphone.

What I'm basically looking for is something that sounds like my Koss KSC35 in IEM-form. I think I want something with treble energy because it makes things seem more clear and airy. I think. But I haven't heard any Etymotics IEMs so I'm not quite sure if that's what I'm looking for, but we'll see. It sounded like Westone 3 was going to be the be all and end all for me, but there has been so many delays.

Peter, try the Altec Lansing iM716 while you are waiting for the Westone 3. They are warmer than the Etys, and a huge step up over the KSC75.

Oct 1, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #203 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peter, try the Altec Lansing iM716 while you are waiting for the Westone 3. They are warmer than the Etys, and a huge step up over the KSC75.

I found that the iM716s are overhyped, they're just not the same experience that ER-4s offer. If you're really looking for getting a proper dive into the IEM world, the q-JAYS or the livewires would fit the bill perfectly. If you like the slightly more aggressive response of the KSC-35s with treble response, I would also recommend you try the UM2s. They're the unsung hero that really holds their own with the big boys. Yes, the ``3``s are better, but a pair on the BST go for 200$ and will give you a more aggressive response than the q-JAYS.

May 29, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #205 of 205
Enormous bump... sorry for that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just wanted to share that I managed to force some Comply foamies made for the SE530 onto the q-Jays. Nice isolation, and the soundstage improved a bit - probably because the drivers are farther away from my ear drums. I like them quite a bit more now (more than I already did).

P1010099-800.jpg

(The cable is L/R reversed, for comfortable over-the-ear use.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back