Jays A-Jays Three vs. Klipsch S4
Sep 7, 2011 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dcheng11

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a relatively nice pair of IEMs, and I've narrowed my choices down to two, the Jays A-Jays Three and the Klipsch S4. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but both of these IEMs have been reviewed to sound great for their respective prices. I'm going to be using these IEMs for most casual things--listening to music, watching videos/movies, etc. I may exercise with them, but I'd rather not get expensive (for me :p) earphones nasty, so I'll keep that to a minimum. Also, noise isolation is important to me as I'll be using them when to study to help drain out some outside noise. That said, both of these IEMs look promising, but there are issues with both that are holding me back from making a final decision:

1) Cable: How is the flat cable on the A-Jays Three? I've read that it really does keep tangle-free, but at that expense, they feel a lot heavier on the ear and tend to fall out more. Also, I've read that the flat cable tends to get stiff and harden when it's cold, and thus makes it weaker and the cable becomes very brittle--can anyone confirm this?

2) Comfort: I've read overwhelmingly good reviews on the comfort of the Klipsch S4, so it seems safe to assume that they are comfortable. However, on the A-Jays side, I've read reviews on both extremes--some say they are very comfortable, and some say they aren't comfortable at all. I'm not sure if that disparity is due just to a lack of break-in, but it is a bit worrisome.

3) Noise-isolation: I actually haven't seen the noise-isolation capabilities of either one reviewed much, so any input on this would be great.

4) Build quality: This seems to be the main kicker for the Klipsch--the build quality (and design, but the Klipsch don't look too bad) of the A-Jays seems much better. Since the cord of the Klipsch is not replaceable, I would hate to have to replace the earphones themselves just because of a messed up cord. Can anyone review the build quality of the Klipsch (or I guess any input on the Jays would be nice too)--the cord, the earbuds themselves, the plug, etc.

Of course, any other issues that I might have missed and you find important, do tell. While I am semi-sure I'm going to buy one of these two, I'm still open for suggestions. My price range is around $80 tops. Thanks in advance!

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 10
I own the Denon 560R, And Se215 and prefer both over the S4i. They both have better aound stages with no sibilance. I also found both more comfortable than the Klipsch which I found to be counter intuitive/ergonomically designed.

Unfortunately I have not tried the A-Jays though so they may be a good choice but I am not able to say anything. BTW you can get the T-Jays in HMV a brick and mortar store in Canada or online for $80 which may be the best Jays model in tour price range to consider.

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 10
You may be able to get the Klipsch S4 for ~$50 online. This is a great price as long as you take care of them. I had no durability issues at all with the s4 and after ~50hrs burn-in, I found them to be great for the price. Very balanced spectrum and no bass bloat (i.e. mid-bass hump).

The comfort is just amazing...slide them in and you wont even know they are there and they stay in very well. The Klipsch eargels are the most amazing eartips IMO, I have been using them on my Atrio's for years.

I haven't heard the a-JAYS so unfortunately I can't give a direct comparison but I would urge you to consider the DUNU Trident IEM. They are built like a TANK, have great sound quality, great cable (with a fantastic cable tie included). Check out the reviews on them...I am not a all surprised these are being called the biggest bang for buck IEMs at ~$40.

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 10
Maybe you have choosen a pair of IEMs - but maybe other people are in the same position as you were now, and since I have both I'll give my point of view here! :)

First of all I started out with some Denon IEMs (R260 and R360, i think were the names), I thought they were REALLY great! But then I tried a pair of A-jays two and I found them even better - more bass than the Denons - but the plug of A-jays broke, so I bought a pair of A-jays three, which on the paper should be better, and since the A-jays two were the best IEMs I ever had, I had no second thoughts about getting then.

I must say I liked the A-jays two more than the A-jays three - the A-jays three were too harsh in the top, and I remember the A-jays two to have better lows! 

I'd read a lot of good stuff about the Klipsch Image S4, so after some thinking I decided to get a pair of these. First I wasn't that satisfied, the top were better but overall the sound was more "soft" in a way. I tried all the different ear tips but nothing really helped here - BUT then some day I found that I didn't but the IEMs into my ear canal the right way. I litterally had to rotate the IEMs into my ears, so they are almost upside-down. THAT really made the coin flip, now I have plenty of punchy bass and they fit perfect, so I found then very comfortable compaired to the A-Jays.

All-in-all, the Klipsch S4 compared to the A-jays gives me:
- better bass
- less harsh top
- better seal
- more comfortable

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 10
One of the areas for consideration is how and when you will be using your IEM's, you mentioned that you may be excercising with them. If that's case then the a-Jay 3 could pose a bit of a problem with microphonics. The flat cable seems to conduct alot of noise. I've tried wearing my a-Jay 3's over ear and it does reduce microphonics somewhat but its still present. Hence I only use them when I'm not moving around alot. However the flat cable makes it ever so easy to unravel after taking them out from the case or pocket. I love them flat cables...

So I find the a-Jay 3's are more bass centric and are great if you enjoy trance or songs with a bass beat to them. Mid's are a bit recessed but still present. So personally I enjoy the a-Jay 3's for certain types of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back