Jays A-Jays Four vs M2 vs ...
Mar 24, 2011 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

prelic

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

Long time lurker, new member/poster.

First, let me apologize if these kinds of recommendation threads are annoying/not allowed, I know how many you guys must get and how annoying it is when people don't just search.  I've tried searching, but since the iems aren't really that related, I couldn't find anything.

Brief history: College kid, listen to mostly rock and hip-hop, about 4 hours a day, sometimes more, usually studying (listening on mac/flac) or walking (iphone 4).  
abbreviated iem history: shure e2c (meh), se210(meh), ety ER-6 (decent), 3 pairs of nuforce ne-7m's (loved).

I loved my NE-7Ms (that's why I bought 3 pairs), first 2 broke, 3rd pair was stolen yesterday.  Unfortunate, but at least it's an excuse to try something new.  From what I've read on here, the m2's seem like a solid pair of iem's, especially for the price and for my taste (bassy, fun, casual).  However, I'm in love with the a-jays four: love the appearance, the flat cable, remote.  I've read some mixed reviews about them, and I'm truly torn to the point where I've been 'checking out' and changed my mind mid-payment with both pairs now.  

Any advice is greatly appreciated, and feel free to throw any other suggestions into the mix (< ~$100).  

Priorities are comfort, bass, sound stage, style (in no order)

Thank you!

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #2 of 12
Personally, I loved the Jays more. They seemed more detailed than the M2, in exchange for a bit of bass. However, I find that the Jays are a bit of a pain to wear. Their flat wire design actually makes it difficult to wear the IEMS snugly.

On the other hand, the M2 is definitely a solid IEM that will perform well in the genres you listen to while providing a better fit.

A shame. If the Jays had a better design, I'd recommend them.

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #3 of 12
Personally, I don't find the a-JAYS Three (= Four w/o mic) being nearly as good as the Brainwavz M2. It simply lacks the resolution to compete.

Mar 24, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #4 of 12
Don't bother buying the A-Jays, except for the excellent packaging and accessories. It's a real pain in the ear and they don't sound that good either. Wasted investment for me (I have A-Jays 3).

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #6 of 12
a-JAYS series is more for basshead. While t-JAYS series also has strong bass, overall they are more balanced and better sounding. JAYS should have make a t-JAYS Four instead.

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #7 of 12
For all of you who think the a-jays are uncomfortable/dislike the flat cable, do you wear them over the ear or straight in the ear and just let them hang down? I hate the over-ear thing and tend to wear any of my earphones straight down.

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #8 of 12
I tried it both ways. Wearing it over the ear eliminates much of the discomfort and pain, but the flat cable does not do over-ear very well and will slip off easily. Wearing it straight down causes the small sharp shell to cut against my ear.

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
For all of you who think the a-jays are uncomfortable/dislike the flat cable, do you wear them over the ear or straight in the ear and just let them hang down? I hate the over-ear thing and tend to wear any of my earphones straight down.

Wore them down... and they simply refused to stay in my ears. I had to hold them in with my fingers just to audition them.

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 12
Hi everyone...I'm new but I had to chime in:

First thing on the Fours, I don't find them bass heavy at all.  In fact I find them lacking in bass.  The bass is punchy but it never sounds full.  I find the upper and mid frequencies very smooth and detailed.  After a few days I got use to the lack of bass in exchange for clarity and now I actually prefer it.

Secondly, it sounds like you guys either were not using the right size tips or not putting them in correctly.  I had to use the smaller tips for a more snug fit but more importantly, the tips have to be moistened prior to putting them in your ear.  After that, they were very snug for me.  The didn't move at all.

NOW FOR THE BIG BUT:

I wanted to see if I could use them while running.  The first thing I noticed is because of the flat chord, you hear the rubbing from the the side to side movement.  That was annoying and I had to put them under my shirt.  After the gym I tried to take a call and the mic and the down volume button would not work.  A little sweat and they are not broken? I had to send them back.  Still considering if I should buy another set.  I really liked the sound and the convenience of the controls. I'm not just not sure of the build quality.

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #11 of 12
Totally agree with the reviews on here. Have been really happy with these headphones, had them for a over a year and haven't used them much until recently - total hours use would be pushing 20-30hrs. Decided they would be great to use at the gym with my new ipod nano, after my third gym visit only one earpiece works! At first I thought it was an issue with my iPod jack, but same prob when using with my phone. Really disappointed that I have to throw these in the garbage because of a little sweat.

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #12 of 12
Try out the new beyerdynamic XP series, very comfy and sound great. XP2 is my favorite from the bunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back