Japan earthquake and tsunami!
Mar 16, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #91 of 279
I got to give credit to those plant operators and engineers who are trying to do everything they can during this unfolding nightmare to try and avoid a complete meltdown in multiple reactors. 

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #92 of 279
Its really hard to tell the extent of the damage. We're all basing it from what they want to tell the Japanese people and the rest of the world. Even the experts are just speculating. And their speculations sometimes contradict. Its better to err on the side of caution and that is just what those who can are doing from Tokyo, go as far away as they can.

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #93 of 279
The sensationalism, ignorance and scaremongering in what is being reported and said at the moment is so bad I can't believe it.

The only people who will be significantly affected by what happens to the Fukushima reactors will be the workers still there and the townspeople.  It will not affect Tokyo. It will not affect other countries (except by people hijacking the incident for their pro- or anti-nuclear causes).  

An oil store exploded in Chiba, releasing huge plumes of toxic smoke, yet nobody said anything!  I live in Fukuoka, where we are regularly told to stay indoors because of toxic clouds of chemicals drifting over from China, yet people are worried about receiving a tiny amount of radiation in a city that is very polluted!

Currently, there are half a million people in shelters in the north of the country, 800,000 without electricity, 1 million without water and a death toll of 11,000+ and people are worried about something that would have only a fraction of the effect of smoking a cigarette or having an X-ray, at its very worst.

If those things don't drive it home, check out how many earthquakes have hit since Friday on this map. There are millions of people afraid to go out or sleep who are stripping the shelves of supermarkets in a panic (even here, at the other end of the country) when half a million people up north don't have any food, water or gas.

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #94 of 279

Did not take long for all the doom and gloom boys to move in.

Their are millions sufering as it is and all the news can report on is Radiation/melt down stories.

I rank reporters lower than used car salesmen,I feel that many would LOVE a MELTDOWN what a STORY.

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #95 of 279
I'd like to have a little faith in the radiation containment. The Japanese know what they're doing. Plus, they're probably discussing it with international experts - they'll do the right thing and probably have it wrapped up soon.

A bigger problem is replacing the energy from the plant. It doesn't sound like something that can be patched up and put back into service. Building any kind of new power plant will take some time, too.

The infrastructure will be a big deal, too. Looks like entire cities will have to be rebuilt, not to mention power, water, sewage, roads, bridges, railroad tracks, and much else.

Donations will help, but I'd sure like to see the US and other countries step up and provide money and resources to rebuild. Japan is one of our biggest trading partners and a good friend.

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #96 of 279

Quote:
I got to give credit to those plant operators and engineers who are trying to do everything they can during this unfolding nightmare to try and avoid a complete meltdown in multiple reactors. 

X2. These guys are not exactly nuclear reactor catastrophe hardened. This is the first time that they are faced with such a nightmare gone real. You can only prepare so much for the real thing and this is the real thing.

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #97 of 279
Currawong, I hope you and your family are well. 
We all are hoping for the best and our thoughts are with the Japanese people.
I am sure the Japanese government is doing all they can in this catastrophe of untold proportions.
Man, I hope we could do more to give all those people shelter, warmth, food and water.

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #98 of 279
Quote:
The radiation is not spreading to Tokyo, no. In fact, it is being blown out to sea. And the radiation is only 400millisieverts, and it only reaches about 30km. Its not bad at all. To put it into a bit of perspective... Chernobyl (what this is being compared to) had radiation levels of 300000 that reached several thousand km. 400millisieverts is barely enough to negatively effect humans. 500 millisieverts is what is rated for the destruction of white blood cells. 1000 is where sickness begins, and 10000 is where death occurs.

The likelihood of that happening is nil. There is only one unstable reactor and the breach is minor. If they can manage to get it under control, all will be well again... At least with the reactors...

As always, the optimal word is always "if". Lets hope for everyone the nuclear wizards can stabilize the 6 failing reactors at Daiichi plant.

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #99 of 279

Quote:
Not to be rude, but there are much more important things to help before we get to the animals. Once the humans are taken care of then it's the animals turn. They can fend for themselves pretty well anyway. Don't get me wrong, I have three dogs and love them a lot but if it comes down to me or them it's going to be them.

Quote:
My heart aches for Japan's people. Please don't make this thread an animal's right plea. Go somewhere else for that.

WTH?  I'm not some animal rights nut.  I have friends and family in Japan.  They're all OK, thank God.  It's not an either-or situation.  Helping animals is helping the Japanese people.  For many people, their pets are their only family.  During the past few days, I've heard so many stories of people risking their lives to save their pets.  Helping them will at least ease their burden.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #100 of 279
yep, here in tokyo many foreign residents are fleeing, although many ARE staying.
supermarkets  are well picked over, not a food crisis yet though.

i went to work yesterday and today.

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #101 of 279
Yes. But as the experts are saying, if the water levels drop too low and the rods are exposed to air, it will be a whole different story ... very quickly. Personally, I would have my family on the way out of there. Why take chances?

Quote:
The radiation is not spreading to Tokyo, no. In fact, it is being blown out to sea. And the radiation is only 400millisieverts, and it only reaches about 30km. Its not bad at all. To put it into a bit of perspective... Chernobyl (what this is being compared to) had radiation levels of 300000 that reached several thousand km. 400millisieverts is barely enough to negatively effect humans. 500 millisieverts is what is rated for the destruction of white blood cells. 1000 is where sickness begins, and 10000 is where death occurs.

The likelihood of that happening is nil. There is only one unstable reactor and the breach is minor. If they can manage to get it under control, all will be well again... At least with the reactors...

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #102 of 279

Quote:
A bigger problem is replacing the energy from the plant. It doesn't sound like something that can be patched up and put back into service. Building any kind of new power plant will take some time, too.

Pretty much. Dumping seawater and boric acid into a reactor will take the generating capacity permanently offline and turn the reactor into little more than a clean up site for the foreseeable future. It's much better than the alternatives, but still very ugly.

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #103 of 279
Those reactors were written off the moment they needed to flood it with seawater in order to keep it cool as seawater is corrosive to the reactor. I agree that you have to do what you have to do in order to avoid a major catastrophe. Right now the 150 volunteer plant operators working in shifts of 50 (aka "The Fukushima 50") are doing what they can to stabilize the reactors.

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #104 of 279

Quote:
Yes. But as the experts are saying, if the water levels drop too low and the rods are exposed to air, it will be a whole different story ... very quickly. Personally, I would have my family on the way out of there. Why take chances?

Water levels did drop low enough that the Uranium/Plutonium fuel rods were partially exposed twice in the number 3 reactor.

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #105 of 279
The U.S. experts are now saying there is NO WATER over the rods in reactor 4. They say that will lead to meltdown. Japanese authorities are denying it. U.S. not saying how they know (spy satellites.)  Dude, start make some kind of plans. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back