Jambo DAC
Mar 29, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #106 of 221
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jambo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Error401 - thank you for your helpful response once again.

You're quite correct - my coding style leaves a lot to be desired.

I have tried using the UNLOCK flag available as GPO1 to mute the DACs while the WM8805 is upset. Unfortunately however the noise still occurs sometimes - I guess that means it must be coming from the DAC....?

Using fixed delays, it usually works fine and the output is silent for an appreciable amount of time. But when the noise occurs the delay/mute just doesn't happen - the music starts straight away with the fuzz over the top.

I have tried to use delay.h already, but I found that (since it turns the optimiser off) the code then ended up far too big for the ATTiny2313.

I'm sure it'll be something simple once I eventually find it!

In that case I'm not really sure what else to suggest. Verify that the pin is being asserted low, but I don't see why it wouldn't be if the rest of the code is working. Are you using any interrupts at all? You might be right that it's just the DAC, but that seems kind of odd to me...

Your new code looks much nicer
biggrin.gif
. Also, delay.h requires optimization or it doesn't work properly, I think you're a little mixed up there
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #107 of 221
I would like a kit too.

Mar 29, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #108 of 221
Willisv and Bigpoppa, thanks for your interest - I'll keep you posted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In that case I'm not really sure what else to suggest. Verify that the pin is being asserted low, but I don't see why it wouldn't be if the rest of the code is working. Are you using any interrupts at all? You might be right that it's just the DAC, but that seems kind of odd to me...

Thanks for the response again. It does seem odd, I'll see what I find out. No, I'm not using any interrupts, a good few years since I was taught them and I didn't fully understand them at the time either!

Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your new code looks much nicer
biggrin.gif
. Also, delay.h requires optimization or it doesn't work properly, I think you're a little mixed up there
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah, indeed I was - thanks. This is the warning AVR Studio is giving me:

Quote:

Compiler optimizations disabled; functions from <util/delay.h> won't work as designed

So I guess I need to turn the optimiser on - I can't find in the help file how to do this - don't suppose you could share!? I imagine this will also make the code fit inside the micro
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #109 of 221
Quote:

So I guess I need to turn the optimiser on - I can't find in the help file how to do this - don't suppose you could share!? I imagine this will also make the code fit inside the micro
smily_headphones1.gif

Project -> Configuration Options -> Optimization (Drop Down Menu)

Mar 29, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #110 of 221
Add me to the list of those interested in a kit.

Mar 29, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #111 of 221
Quote:

Originally Posted by mustang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Project -> Configuration Options -> Optimization (Drop Down Menu)

Ah, thank you kindly - don't know why I didn't see that!

User18 - will do, thanks.

Apr 5, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #116 of 221
Hi Brian - thanks for the tip. I had no idea about that. I've had a quick look and the parts you mention seem quite hard to get hold of (especially in the UK) but I'll keep looking.

shinew, xmokshax and joze7205 - thanks, will keep you updated.

Jamie

Apr 6, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #117 of 221
Quote:

Afraid Lordmozzilla is right, the price difference is going to be negligible! I changed my second board to AD797s over the weekend which has had a marked improvement in the clarity of the high end (could easily be placebo though, I haven't been able to A/B), so I would recommend these over the OPA134s. Can someone recommend an opamp that is somewhere between these two in performance but much cheaper than the 797?

Been thinking about SMD soldering...
biggrin.gif

AD 8610 is a possibility, though not too much cheaper. And I'd consider 744, as well, though it's not as fun.

Something I don't understand: the 797 runs ~10USD. What's the big deal if the whole thing costs 14USD more?

How about sockets? People have had much fun playing around with the iBasso D1.

Apr 6, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #118 of 221
Thanks for the suggestions.

The 797 has recently dropped in price a little at Farnell, which is nice.

Yeah, sockets are an idea I've been toying with, I think I might well go along with that...

Apr 6, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #119 of 221
Jambo, if you are planning to do a US/Euro kit group buy thing, I suggest contacting a devoted US member.

This is because you can ship out 1 whole package to that US person and that US person can distribute it him/herself around North America. I think this will lower the price of each kit (in terms of shipping) and in bulk order, may save us all cost!

I will probably be interested in this too!

Apr 6, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #120 of 221
I would have to agree with TSi, if there is someone in the US who would do this. And I'm not sure of this, but having someone in the US source some of the hard to find or expensive parts here, then either shipping them to you or distributing them with the kits might be a good idea also. Maybe compare your bom to the US based stores such as Mouser or Digikey (there are others too...)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back