Jambo DAC
Jan 20, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #211 of 221
Hi Subbu,

Glad to hear some interest.

You'll need a parallel LCD with HD44780 driver. I've set it up to use 4 bit parallel mode as I didn't have enough spare pins for anything else.

Pretty busy just now but I'll get the code to you when I have time and also a schematic.

Regards

Jamie

Sep 12, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #214 of 221
Hi Folks,

Home again - so if anyone wants a kit please let me know this week.

Subbu,

Sorry for the delay. Please find the pinout below - but crosscheck it with the particular HD44780 LCD that you get, the below is quite standard but not 100% in my limited experience. I've noticed that Pin3 on the LCD varies a bit. From memory I think Pin3 and Pin15 can be used to vary the contrast and brightness.

LCD Pin Description Board Pin Micro Pin
1 GND    
2 +5V    
3 GND    
4 Register Select SW3 13 (PB1)
5 R/W SW5 14 (PB2)
6 Enable SW7 15 (PB3)
7 NC    
8 NC    
9 NC    
10 NC    
11 DB4 LED1 16 (PB4)
12 DB5 LED3 17 (PB5)
13 DB6 LED5 18 (PB6)
14 DB7 LED7 19 (PB7)
15 +5V (    
16 GND    
  Source Select SW SW1 12 (PB0)

Code/hex to follow!

Cheers

Jamie

Jun 9, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #216 of 221
Howdy folks,

I'm  home at the moment, if anyone wants a kit let me know within the next 24 hours!!  I'm testing the LCD firmware a bit more just now, it looks pretty good so I think I'm going to release it.

I also made a power supply control board which makes the LED on my on/off switch sleep like an apple LED and controls some relays. Remains to be seen what kind of audio performance will result from using relays however.

Cheers

Jamie

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #219 of 221
Dear Jambo,

I have been trying to get the WM8805 working in hardware mode to connect it to a TDA1541(A) using SPDIF as input.
I have trouble getting it into I2S 16 bit mode (in hardware mode).
If you could provide me with a schematic with your solution, I would be very greatful.

Kind regards,

Hugo

Jan 13, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #220 of 221
Greetings Jambo DACcers, I hope you're all keeping well! Hard to believe so much time has passed since I started this project, but I fired up my own DAC board a few weeks ago and it still amazes me the sound that comes out of it, the dynamic range and the precision of percussion are what strike me most, so I thought I would check in. I used an Opus power supply for mine in the end, which is excellent, and I never quite got around to putting it in an enclosure! I DO have a couple of boards still here and (I think) all the components to populate them - if you'd be interested you can drop me a line. I will need to add a few years of inflation to my postage charges though!!

It is interesting to re-read a thread like this and see where your own mind was nearly 15 yrs ago - it's clear I had plenty of spare time on my hands. It is also clear I seemed to enjoy making life hard for myself. Now that I have a full time job (nearly 15 yrs with the company I joined in 2008) and two very young children, I feel I've forgotten a lot about electronics!

So much has changed in that time - changes with the main parts supplier on the board - Wolfson were acquired by Cirrus Logic in 2014 - possibly something that was always going to happen, they were fiercely competitive with them. I hope everyone affected was treated well. I also saw that Cirrus are in the process of discontinuing the WM8740/41/42 chips - I'm not clear if they are replacing them with equivalent Cirrus parts or actually keeping the Wolfson ones and renaming them?

The way we consume music has changed hugely too - so for my own use of the DAC (and just playing around) I have some updates in mind:

• All my links are broken - I'll re-publish all the schematics, user manual and gerbers (I actually kept the latter to myself first time around).
  • I will change the micro to ESP8266 or ESP32 (32 is better but I only have an 8266 board here now..). The I2C interface to the WM8805 is available on some vias so just need to tie in there. I really should have put these on a header. This will add heaps of memory, processing power, wifi, and will make firmware updates easier.
  • I am in the process of modifying the LCD code to support LCDs with an I2C backpack thus reducing complexity and wiring for adding an LCD.
  • Find a way to neatly use the WM8805 pins inputs RX4-7 to allow more inputs (maybe). Again, it would have cost me nothing to put these on a header so not sure why I didn't do it!
  • Via above additional inputs, add some kind of wireless audio support. Either:
    • bluetooth - currently looking at CSR8675 boards as a likely candidate. Recommendations for alternatives welcome - must be SPDIF out...
    • Chromecast - ideas welcome on how to add Chromecast support - though simply sticking a Chromecast Audio in the (future!) box is an attractive option.
    • Spotify connect - has anyone done this? I am looking at Cspot on Github which provides a Spotify Connect endpoint on an ESP32 chip (one reason for changing to this chip above!). Output seems to be I2S only, I could do with SPDIF really (of course the WM8805 can be a hardware solution to this but not as implemented on my board sadly). Squeezelite-ESP32 is a similar solution.

Cheers

Jan 31, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #221 of 221
Really nice spec'd DAC. WM8741 one of my favorites. ECP Walnut and Corda Soul both great implementations and two of my favorite DACs. Very curious to hear this one someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back