Jade II Discussion
Sep 23, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #406 of 472
Here are some pics. Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures while I was doing the mod so don't have any internals. Sorry! I'm reluctant to open them up as everything got sandwiched together and taking them apart would probably require me to re-apply the mod. The best I can do is reference Spritzer's pic of the "inner baffle" where I applied putty to areas with red circles. There were still some small gaps around the screw holes and the thin border around the driver, but I decided not to do those given the extra time/effort, and didn't want to impede the screws going in. I also applied putty to the gaps between the grill and the "outer baffle" but I couldn't find a pic of that one. However, you can see a little of the bluetak in my external pic.

20200923_161058.jpg

Spritzer Jade 2 pic.png

thanks much.

Sep 24, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #409 of 472
Realized that my initial impression of the Jade's as thin sounding may have been due to tube synergy. However. not sure if it brain burn in but jades no longer sound thin. I'm listening to them as we speak and they sound just right. I had been listening mostly to the thick sounding z1r's prior which may habe contributed to the contrast.

Sep 24, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #410 of 472
well, I was just really surprised when I read that JadeII is "thin" :astonished: but for sure is much much much thinner than Z1R :gs1000smile:
jokes aside, I think with the right tubes JadeII is just perfect, maybe a little bit on the "warm" side with regards to a Stax 009 for example, but very enjoyable.
I have no experience with the Sylvania tubes, you may want to try the JJ 6CA7 whihc is find just perfect in my GG for the JadeII

Sep 25, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #411 of 472
Yeah, I think the thin-ness was a combination of the contrast with the Z1R's and running them off my NFB-7 DAC that tend to have a thinner (but fast) sound signature. The Jade's sound just right with my PCM1704 based M7 DAC, whereas my Z1R has better synergy with the NFB-7's. I'm holding off going down the rabbit hole of tubes but will consider the JJ 6CA7's when its time to change my current set out. The Jade 2's seem to be very revealing of upstream components. The Jade 2's must sound glorious with your MSB analog DAC!

Sep 25, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #412 of 472
JadeII is definitely extremely revealing of all upstream gears, if you can find the right combination is an endgame IMHO.
yes the Analog is a good match, but I have heard also other very good dacs that could be excellent match like for example the Terminator. Unfortunatey I have never heard your M7 but I'm sure it's an excellent synergy with the JadeII :)

Oct 1, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #413 of 472
I've been listening to the Jade 2's almost daily now and have a better understanding of their sound. I agree with them being very revealing of upstream gear as well as recording quality, accentuating any flaws, given how transparent they are. On some recordings its like when TV first went HD or 4k, and the scenes looked artificially staged like you were seeing the actors wearing costumes on a stage.

Discovered that my initial impression of them sound tinny was due to them revealing flaws in my system while it was warming up, even after the mods, as the tinniness was no longer present when my system was properly warmed up. My Stax also do not sound as good while my system is warming up, but the Jade 2's made these flaws more obvious, which explains my uneven impressions when I first got them. I made some edits to my original post to more accurately reflect the Jade 2's.

@ Phaeton70, I understand you ranking the Jade 2's above the 009's in the "Rank the headphones that you own" thread. They truly are TOTL (build quality aside) once paired with the right system, especially an amp like the KGGG. It seems like Hifiman is limiting the Jade 2 reviews by attaching them to their own amp but understand their strategy at same time in making the system more accessible for folks without an existing electrostatic setup, similar to what Stax has been doing with their SRS systems.

IMO, they have great synergy with a warm DAC and a tube amp. They sound better off my more warm/euphonic AGD M7 versus my more neutral/analytical AGD NFB7, and tubes can add some dimensionality and musicality to the sound.

The mischievous side of me wishes that Hifiman discontinues the Jade 2's given all the bad press so that they can become rare and priceless like the OG Jade's, but they are probably more likely to release a v2 of the Jade 2's :p.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #414 of 472
Hello everyone. I wanted to ask you a question about the Jade II Amplifier. Every review and spec sheet I’ve seen talk about the headphone, but I’m in the market for a proper Electrostatic Amplifier and have seen some good deals on the Amplifier alone, which I would plan to use with my Stax and Kaldas electrostatics.

Has anyone who had the Jade II system used it with any other headphones? If so, what has it done to the sound of those headphones versus your other amps? I’m trying to see if I could consider the Jade amp alongside other electro amps I could get for <$1k, or if it’s too specific to the Jade.

Thank you!

Oct 19, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #415 of 472
Hello everyone. I wanted to ask you a question about the Jade II Amplifier. Every review and spec sheet I’ve seen talk about the headphone, but I’m in the market for a proper Electrostatic Amplifier and have seen some good deals on the Amplifier alone, which I would plan to use with my Stax and Kaldas electrostatics.

Has anyone who had the Jade II system used it with any other headphones? If so, what has it done to the sound of those headphones versus your other amps? I’m trying to see if I could consider the Jade amp alongside other electro amps I could get for <$1k, or if it’s too specific to the Jade.

Thank you!

it is not specific to Jade, and sound-wise is comparable to a Stax 353 IMHO, but with a stronger output.
I have used it with my 009.

Oct 19, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #417 of 472
agree.

i got two stax amps and the jade amp no significant difference to my ears and better built too. too heavy.
Thank you. What Stax amps do you have that you’re comparing this to, if I may ask?

Oct 19, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #419 of 472
I hope its OK that continue to document my modding process here...

Yesterday, I attempted to remove the shelf lining from the outer grills to compare with stock, as the shelf lining made the Jade 2 lose some transparency and the liveliness that I remember from stock. I hit a major road block though as removing the blutak stripped off the dust cover off the drivers to my dismay! I had been careful not to disturb the dust cover when I first made the mods, but removing them was a different story. The dust cover is very thin, flaky, and cracks easily. Thus, I can no longer recommend the mods as the potential for damage is too high (disclaimers added to my previous posts). Even Spritzer found a crack in the dust cover when he opened up his pair.

Since there were cracks in the dust cover in multiple locations, I went ahead and removed them completely, which was a PITA to get every bit out so that they don't fall into the drivers. Now I have naked drivers, and holding my breath that no dust ever finds its way in. Anyhow, I removed all the mods and took a listen to them in stock from, and thankfully the headphones still worked fine. However, the issues that I mentioned previously about the stock came back, too thin and bright without a coherent center focus. The plasticky sound was back as well. The sound in stock form just doesn't suit me.

Not learning my lesson, I went ahead and re-did the mods, but this time, with one layer of shelf-lining (as opposed to two layers previously) inside the outer grill, reapplied the bluetak (more densely this time filling up all holes and cracks), and removed the rectangle-patterned filters that is part of the inner baffle.

Just listened to the mods for one night, but they actually sound better than the first iteration of mods...more transparent, more natural, better flow, punchier bass, more weight to the sounds, and more euphonic. No more plasticky sound which I had even after the first mods, which makes me now wonder if it was due to the rectangle-patterned filters. Its odd that I previously would consistently hear this plasticky sound early on in my listening sessions but went away after an hour or so, (brain burn in?) which made me initially think it was due to my system warming up, but this time there was no plasticky sound from the beginning.

With the mods, I've never heard my system sound so good. They were even more enjoyable than the 009s and 007s which are my favorite cans. I have to listen to them more to better discern the flaws, but my first impression was that I really like the new mods. My impressions may have been been influenced though by my relief that they were even playing music at all.

In total, my Jade 2 now have the following mods:
1. one layer of shelf lining in outer grill area (two layers was too much = loses transparency and liveliness).
2. blutak in all the holes and crevasses.
3. removal of dust cover (drivers are naked!)
4. removal of rectangle pattern piece of the inner baffle

Without the dust covers, I realize it is a matter of time my Jade 2's hit the fan, but I'm going to enjoy them as much as I can until then. I put them in a large zip lock bag when not in use, and hopefully the outer shelf lining will prevent dust from getting inside. I think I'm going to hold off on any more mods, as they sound so good right now and don't want to risk any dust from getting in.

Nov 15, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #420 of 472
For those who find the Jade 2's too bright and edgy in their system, I have found adding a layer of shelf lining inside the ear pads to really smooth out sound and cancel out any fatiguing glare. Tilts overall sound to be warmer.

20201115_152859_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back