Jade II Discussion
Nov 21, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #316 of 472
Received the US loaner yesterday. Here are my initial impressions:

The headphone is physically very light and fits my head comfortably. The amp is bigger than it looks from the pics.

Soundwise, it's different from my Utopias and I need more time to adjust to its sound signature. It could also be that the amp needs some warmup time but the mids seemed a bit distant. I'll have more time this weekend for an extended listen and critique.
At the audio show i demo'd a jade 2 unit at, the booth manager said if you get it, after a cold start it needs about 15-20min warmup time. which is something ive never heard for an electrostatic amp, i thought only tubes needed warming up time...

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #318 of 472
All electronics in hifi benefit from warmup, some more, some less. Just my 2 Cents
I totally agree. I think at least 1/2 hour for things to settle. I remember when Dennis Had was still the owner of Cary Audio, he would have speakers in use for at least 1 hour before doing real listening sessions.

Nov 28, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #321 of 472
Nov 28, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #323 of 472
Thanks. I get the impression that Jade II lacks low end. It is concerning because estats aren't known for thick low end, to begin with.

Unless you are going for a VOCE or 007 MK2 I would not buy a stats for low-end power.

Nov 28, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #325 of 472
I agree, and I'm not buying a stats to feel mind-blowing bass. It just seems that low-end is the most problematic area for most electrostats, so I pay attention to it.

The L300 Limited surprised me for bass power but not on the level of the 007 MK II. Jade Ii is all about stats classic speed and resolution with a very expansive soundstage.

Nov 28, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #327 of 472
I gather that Jade II is more suitable e.g. classical music, and L300 Limited is a better all-rounder?

Depends if classical is part of that all-rounder appeal then I would say Jade Ii noh? :) Stax being a more intimate sound, pick the music you like to be up close and personal to more.

Nov 29, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #329 of 472
I'm start thinking that I may have a defective JadeII, since I don't recognize at all what I'm hearing with many of the reviews I have read.... well, in case good for me :blush:

for the amp, JadeII needs power and tubes. the Hifiman amp in the combo is good, but can only extract a fraction of the potential of the can. with something like KG Grounded Grid, BHSE, or similar, this little baby is a top performer.... but don't spend your money on them if you need to use something like a T1, a 323 or a D10.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #330 of 472
My adventures with the Jade II had 3 chapters....Chapter I, well documented here already as part of the loaner tour. I had them for a fortnight and sent them on to my friend, audio creator of the best headphone amps I ever heard and one of the best Dacs that money can buy, Dill3000. He raved about the Jade II in his review. We've tried them on the Shangri La Jr and Snr amp, we've tried them on an iFi setup, and even on a Kingsound battery powered portable. Listen; whatever we've thrown at the Jade II's, they came good! We can talk about amping til the cows come home, and we will go around in circles... This is just my opinion; provided the Jade II has a decent bit of power it will allow them to shine. The Kingsound had enough power to get them going but not to push them to their undoubted heights. Bigger, better, bolder beasts( Dillon's amps have been named "The mini beast"etc) will reap their various rewards on the listener. We(me and Dill) both have unashamed love for the Jade II, and we don't care who knows!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back