J.River Media Center plays bit-perfect 24Bit/192Khz
Mar 1, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #46 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this a widespread problem or only you? Seems a bit harsh to condemn the product solely on a single feature that isn't working for you.

I searched the J. River forum and found several posts along the lines of "Why won't lastfm streaming work?...What if you tweak this/that?...I get this error message, blah, blah, blah." For a $50 media player program to have trouble playing media that every other leading player can play is just ridiculous. I'm not going to waste any more time trying to sort it out.

I guess I could have phrased it softer to avoid contributing to any sense of angry internet ranting on the forum but, like I said, it annoys me. So I said so.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #47 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by GungaDin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience, J. River will not stream lastfm even though it's got the plugins for it. Which leads me to my next point....

A $50 media player that will not perform basic player functions competently right from the start is a total non-starter for me.

There is a 30 day trail for the paid version of MC. if it doesn't have a feature you need, don't buy it.

I tried Foobar before I found J. River MC. MC fit my needs better than Foobar so I use MC. If Foobar fits your needs better than MC, stick with Foobar.

Bill

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #48 of 55
I am trying MC because of this thread and while it is a perfectly good music player, i would prefer to use foobar. MC is easier to use and looks pretty good, but i don't use it because i haven't figured out how to easily make a huge enough playlist because I have music in different languages and i split up my library that way. There is no reason to bash MC, but i prefer foobar because I can quickly browse through my different music libraries easily

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #49 of 55
> but i don't use it because i haven't figured out how to easily make a huge
> enough playlist because I have music in different languages and i split up my library
> that way.

I don't know the details of what you are trying to do but JRMC provides several features that might be of use for your problem.

Libraries - You can define multiple libraries in MC. I have a main library for my permanent music collection, one for concert recordings and one with files for an iPod. You only see one library at a time so this mechanism isn't great when you want to go back and fort a lot.

Custom tags - You can define custom database fields (like language) and choose whether to store the information in tags as well as in the database. You could define a "language" field and populate it based on the folder

Views - You can add different views of your library and define selection criteria for including and excluding files from the view. You could define a view for each language and include files based on the path name or a custom tag like "Language".

Playlists - You can define a new playlist and then select some files and add them to the playlist. Use the selection, sorting and searching features to isolate a set of files, select them all and add them to the playlist.

Smart Playlists - You define the contents of the playlist with an expression like the one you use in defining a view. MC understands a lot of expressions. Mostly, you can just use the dialog for building an expression. There are some experts at the expression language on the JRMC forums. Marko in particular responds to questions about ways to accomplish things in MC's expression language.

Bill

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #50 of 55
I am a recent convert to JR Media Jukebox and have a quick question. I am using a small amout of bass EQ on my AKG K701 and noticed at the bottom of the box where it says Overflow Handling. Clip Protection is enabled by default. Should I leave it enabled or change it to none? I tried Foobar but after alot of reading and hassle I couldn't get it too look like I wanted, so I gave up. I had JRiver looking great in just a few minutes.

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #51 of 55
> Clip Protection is enabled by default. Should I leave it enabled or change it to none?

One of the J. River developers said:

"Clip protection does nothing if the signal doesn't exceed 100%. The signal can not exceed 100% without effects applied."

I just left it on so far.

> I had JRiver looking great in just a few minutes.

Keep learning. MC can do a lot for you.

Bill

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #53 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Computer Audiophile website just released an article called Windows 7 & J. River Media Center 14 configuration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulioCat2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
J River is now on the C.A.S.H. List as a recommended parts of a music server in Computer Audiophile

Windows 7 Audio & J River Media Center 14 Configuration | Computer Audiophile

You obviously didn't read through this whole thread. See quote and link above made earlier by mojave. Nice try though.
wink_face.gif

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #54 of 55
I just stumbled across this thread.  Thanks for the many kind words about our software.

Recent changes in J. River Media Center 15.0 can be found here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=56853.0

They include a second WASAPI method that solves problems with playback to certain DAC's.  Follow the link for WASAPI from this page on setting up audio in MC:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

An Android app called Gizmo which can stream your audio to an Android or use it to control MC across your wireless network.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=60742.0

DLNA support continues to evolve to support more devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back